Some disappointing observations with our 2011 BC3510

Are we the special ones to have experienced many different issues with our Big Country?

After being an owner of a 2006 Titanium 5th wheel trailer, I have come to the realization that our Big Country does not possess the same quality we were previously used to. (The reason we traded our original RV was because of size - it was a 28/33 with 1 slide and much too small).

In this past week, we have contemplated doing a trade to a 2 year OLDER model of Titanium. This used rig comes with a full 1 year warranty. Our only reservation is the storage space being that much smaller and living full-time in our rig, this is an important factor. But looking at this 2 year older model highlights the fact that the quality of our current trailer no where matches that of this other 5th wheel.

We custom ordered our 2011 Big Country from a Heartland dealer in Ontario (a 3510 - a model which isn't made anymore). We had extra 'bells and whistles' installed (ie 50 amp cord reel, toy lock, dual pane windows, slide toppers, a fireplace, to name a few). When we first saw the Big County, we immediately fell in love with the floor plan of the 3510. In particular, one of my favourite features is the front closet (which is where the washer/dryer prep is located). Instead of this, we are using this space for second fridge and a hanging shoe rack and outerwear storage.

In the time we have had it, we have lovingly taken care of our investment we now call 'home'. However, we have noticed that there are some disappointing items in need of attention/repair. Many of these have become apparent in the last 8 months (but of course warranty is no longer valid).

Inside issues:

1. The quality of the cabinets - the 'finish' (or stain) on the kitchen and bathroom cabinets is coming off.
2. The finish is coming off of the frequently used door handles (in the kitchen and bathroom).
3. The finish is chipping off of the door handles (bathroom, closet).
4. The poor quality of the carpet.
5. The quality of the furniture (especially the sofa). We have already replaced the sofa with a Lazyboy recliner loveseat.
6. The plastic curtain 'stops' holding the curtains tight and close to the wall (most have broken). I was very surprised by how the valances were constructed using small scraps of particle board and fabric stapled on them to make these valances. (These have been removed when we replaced the Venetian blinds with roller MCD like shades).

Outside issues:

1. Fading of the gel coat on the front cap (a yearly maintenance to remove the oxidation by scrubbing, cleaning and applying Poly-Glo helps with this.
2. Brake problems (was an ongoing issue) - now resolved by having Kodiak disc brakes installed to the tune of $3,000.
3. Landing gear problems. NOT resolved yet. We are looking at totally replacing the landing gear (likely to the cost of $2,000).
4. Landing gear switch malfunciton - husband has replaced the switch.
5. Water leaks (during our last 6 month trip, we have had 2 major water leaks, due to the manufacturer mixing peck plumbing with polymer hosing and a broken vacuum break leaking water in the wall (from the bathroom shower). Husband repaired the issues with the tubing and replaced the vacuum break.
4. Malfunctioning remote which needs to be replaced (cost $129 US plus shipping).

Here are my two questions....

1. Are we alone in experiencing these problems with our unit?
2. What has happened to quality control?? (not only on these products but many of the new units being built).

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Sorry your having these issues. Being that your BC is 4-5 years old now...having to do some repairs is not uncommon. I have never owned a sticks and bricks that age that did not need some repainting, a worn cabinet knob, a plumbing line to a toilet replaced. Everything we own needs some repair at sometime. OH, and BTW, my home does not go bouncing down the highway. Our BH is going on 7 years old now and I have repaired, replaced things, up dated stuff and moved on. Every boat I have owned...the gel-coat has faded. It's just the nature of gel-coat with the hot sun in the summer. The only way to stop gel-coat from fading is to paint it and even then paint fades.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Well said Bob....we feel the same way....when you live in it you will need to fix, repair or replace things...

sengli

We havent had all the major exterior issue's. Brakes work fine, I use the exhaust braking on the truck for most of the brake work. We have repaced out couch and recliners with better furniture. The included furniture works, but is definetly not perfect.
Landing gear issue's? Are they electric? I have done some plumbing work, no major leaks so far. I do now carry a pex tool with fittings in the coach.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Kathy, there is an OL' saying. "If it has ***** and tires...your going to have trouble with it".

I bet Ken knows what it is. If I posted the whole thing...JB and all the moderators would.....well lets just say.....you would have to call 911 for all of them.

Last edited:

JonV

Sorry your having these issues. Being that your BC is 4-5 years old now...having to do some repairs is not uncommon.
Actually Bob our unit was built in February of 2011, not even close to 4 years.
I have never owned a sticks and bricks that age that did not need some repainting, a worn cabinet knob, a plumbing line to a toilet replaced. Everything we own needs some repair at sometime.
No question, with anything you purchase and use you expect wear and tear. Anything that gets used will show that. HOWEVER, there is a difference between normal expected wear and outright failure ie. tire wear, moving parts requiring lubrication, etc. On the other hand if you have to replace plumbing on you commode after 3 years that is a failure, NOT normal wear and tear, it is a failure.
OH, and BTW, my home does not go bouncing down the highway.
That is absolutely true and we know that but again, it's normal wear & tear. Normal wear & tear doesn't include the finish peeling off pumping fixtures or cabinetry. That's poor quality or poor QC or poor product selection.
Our BH is going on 7 years old now and I have repaired, replaced things, up dated stuff and moved on.
Of course, as I've been saying, things wear and that is to be expected.
Every boat I have owned...the gel-coat has faded. It's just the nature of gel-coat with the hot sun in the summer. The only way to stop gel-coat from fading is to paint it and even then paint fades.
That's great Bob but we didn't buy a boat. Additionally I have faithfully applied a UV protectant semi annually (Formula 303 Aerospace Protectant) our entire to unit. Additionally Heartland has acknowledged a problem with the gelcoat and to their credit, I'm sure they've written a lot of cheques to compensate owners. The problem there is that, as full timers, we really don't want to live in a paint booth while it's being done.

I'm NOT sitting here to bad mouth Heartland. I'm saying, for the sake of their customers, Heartland needs to be aware of any real problems and hold THEIR suppliers to meet Heartland quality standards. This was made clear to us when a RV tech, checking out our brake problem, pulled the brake drums, both on the same side of the trailer, and had the brake adjuster, along with the related springs, fall onto the floor of the shop. Is Heartland responsible for that when Dexter assembled the axles & brakes and sold them to Lippert Components who built the frames and installed the hardware from Dexter? Ultimately the answer must be YES, Heartland, as the vendor, is the one that is responsible.

caissiel

We have FT in our BC going on the 6th year and truly feel its aging well.
The previous Glendale was way worst at our purchase time at 2 year old but with care we ended loving for 13 more years. Everything needed attention and it aged well.
Our BC has trailer quality parts that with experience I needed to upgrade. The front landing gear has been modified, as I done on 2 previous units. It's a design and assembly problem that has existed for 20 years. At least for me.
The axles choice on the Glendale was a joke, and needed modification. The tube frame cause flexing that created roof failures that needed attention all the time.
Spending more money will only change the problems and no return on investment.
I feel it's what has been standard for RV industry to satisfy the state of California. And if one insist getting better quality we better be ready for bigger trucks and more cash.
BTW after our return trip from Arizona I found myself having to check all screws. The Indiana area hyways were the worst I have seen for a while traveling south for the past 20 years. Could be the results from the bad winter.

Sent from my U8666-51 using Tapatalk 2

cvanhorn

Eileen and Jon,
We, too, are disappointed in the quality of our new (2014) Big Country. We traded in a 15 yr old Pace Arrow motorhome, that showed less wear and tear than this one yr old Big Country 3950. A lot of communication with the warranty staff, spent a week parked in a parking lot getting unsatisfactory warranty work done. The wood shows marks if you even look at it, and constantly needs touched up, the carpet looks like its 10 years old, and the flooring was never installed correctly, shows ripples. I'm disappointed, in the unit, and disappointed in Heartlands response to our claims.:(
Cathy and Bill Van Horn

DocFather

Eileen and Jon,
We, too, are disappointed in the quality of our new (2014) Big Country. We traded in a 15 yr old Pace Arrow motorhome, that showed less wear and tear than this one yr old Big Country 3950. A lot of communication with the warranty staff, spent a week parked in a parking lot getting unsatisfactory warranty work done. The wood shows marks if you even look at it, and constantly needs touched up, the carpet looks like its 10 years old, and the flooring was never installed correctly, shows ripples. I'm disappointed, in the unit, and disappointed in Heartlands response to our claims.:(
Cathy and Bill Van Horn

I await Eileen and Jon's response and update seeing that this thread is a year old. The update might be interesting.