Spare Tire Carrier Issue

tem85745

I have a 2012 North Trail 21FBS. Mine came with the spare tire mounted under the "A" frame, just under the battery mount. The spare is held to the bottom of the frame by a cable attached to a crank shaft to raise or lower the spare. I can't find any kind of locking mechanism on the crank assembly that would prevent the spare from coming loose and dragging on the ground (as it has on this trip) or worse if I use my imagination. I removed the assembly and I'm carrying the spare in my TV to prevent my imagined experience from coming true.
Has anyone else experienced this issue?
Is there something I forgot to do to properly secure the spare? (I am still very new and inexperienced with this unit).
As usual I'm confuzzelled.
Look forward to any advise or input. Right now I plan to get a bumper carrier for the spare.

Thank,
Tom

berky

I have exactly the same spare tire mount on my North Trail 26LRSS. I have traveled 3000 miles this year with nary a problem. The design is not much different from the spare tire mount on most pickup trucks. I would say as long as you snug it up moderately, the tires pressure and rubber surface will minimize any slippage.

I frequent the North Trail forum and to my knowldege this has never been reported as a problem. Put your spare back on the trailer and enjoy the view as you cruise to your next destination.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Tom,

Welcome to the forum!

Back when we had our North Trail, I seem to remember this happening to another NT owner. Our solution was to wrap a cable-lock around the tire and frame, which helped keep someone from stealing, and kept the tire from being able to drag if it did loosen up.

I'm sure others will chime in.

Erika

pegmikef

13,000 miles and we have never had a problem. I drop it every month or so to check the air pressure and look it over and just crank it back up. I did use a cable and lock on it when I was storing the trailer off premises. I took it (the cable) off a few months ago and just forgot to put it back on. I don't know of any stops or locking mechanism on it. I had the same set up on my Edge and never had a problem with it either.

tem85745

Thanks all for you input. I seem to have some bad luck sometimes and this just may be one of them. . . or it could be that "I was put on this earth to be double crossed"

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Tom... Three years and no problems. I do check to make sure it is tight before we leave on a trip and I do run a chain and padlock around the spare / battery and frame for security.