Stalling slides during retaction

Barry Crocker

I just started having a problem when retracting the slides on my 2008 3055RL. The bedroom slide comes in OK but after the curb side slide comes in approx. 90% everything stops. I wait about 10 seconds and then everything is OK. No jerky movement...everything is smooth.
I found a possible solution in the Exterior forum...add an additional 50 amp breaker in series to the original. is this a viable fix? Or, is there something you recommend?
Thanks in advance!!
Barry

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Barry, this is what I found on mine. If the battery does not have a full charge, then the slides will not work properly. It is the low voltage and high amperage draw syndrome. Adding a inline curciut breaker might help, but with out the proper voltage the same failure will still happen. The next time it happens, hook the truck to the coach and see if it still does the same thing. You might have the battery checked also, a bad cell can cause all kinds of problems. Even if you are hooked up, a bad battery will also cause the slides not to work right. All the power to the slides goes through the battery. My 2 cts. Bob

lhetsler

Slide fix

View attachment Lip fix.pdf

Due to high amp draws on hydraulic slideout systems, it may be necessary to upgrade the circuit breaker. During slideout
operation, the higher amperage requirements on the hydraulic pump unit may cause the system to draw the voltage down.
This voltage drop increases the amp draw and forces the 50A Auto Reset Breaker to trip and shut the system down. If the
circuit breaker continues to trip, upgrading the 50A breaker to a breaker with a higher amperage rating will solve the issue
without harm to the system. Wiring and breaker sizes are to be supplied by the RV Manufacturer. This applies to systems

with and without individual room controls.

Lippert has a fix sheet on this. Changes 50amp fuse to 80amp. Sorry my first attachment was wrong. The pdf file labeled lip fix is the right one. It is a fix sheet from the lippert web site.

Attachments

• Lippert Hydrolic slides.pdf
    846.4 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

Smokeyfl

I had the same issue. My dealer installed a 70A thermal breaker and it took care of the problem. Unit was still under warrenty. Installing another 50A breaker in line will not help.

Barry Crocker

Thanks!

Thanks for the info everyone. I'll have the batteries checked and then consider the circuit breaker fix.

One other question...Will the problem get worse if I don't upgrade the CB soon?

Barry

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
As a side note...if the system has a 50 amp fuse and you just put a higher amp fuse i.e. going to a 80 amp fuse you could possibly risk a fire if the circuit overheats.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Jim, the safety issue would depend on the size of wire going to the pump. 10 or 8 guage multi-strand wire should be able to take 80 amps without a melt down. Bob

lhetsler

Slide fix

Nothing in your system is being harmed by the circuit breaker cutting off the power and there is no reason to think it will get worse. Lippert states that a higher amp breaker will cause no harm. So either way your probably okay. It is just a pain when you have to wait for the breaker to reset. I can't check my rig right now but I think I remember seeing a large size wire to the pump, maybe an 8 or even a 6.