Standard Battery delivered with new Bighorns

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
We are considering a new Bighorn 3160EL and wondering what Battery comes with the unit? Dealer said batteries not included and that there is only a 'Transport Battery' in the unit to supply 12V power for the break away brake. The brochure and the 'Standards and Options' under Bighorn says a battery in included. Could Heartland please verify this? Thank you. Doug

Jim.Allison

Like you said the sales brochure spells it out. If I were you I would demand the OEM batts be in the rig when you take delivery. That being said, I would not pay them extra for any. There are much better batteries for the application, and if you have plans for boondocking, and or solar there are many considerations for batts. I say get what you are paying for and nothing less. But "at the dealer" is not a place to make battery investments.

We are considering a new Bighorn 3160EL and wondering what Battery comes with the unit? Dealer said batteries not included and that there is only a 'Transport Battery' in the unit to supply 12V power for the break away brake. The brochure and the 'Standards and Options' under Bighorn says a battery in included. Could Heartland please verify this? Thank you. Doug

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
The brochure will tell you one battery is included. Mine was a no name unlabeled POS that I swapped out when I added my second one. Don't expect anything exceptional.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

branson4020

Icantre Member
It's an insignificant item in the total cost of the unit. Negotiate with your dealer for what you want, or upgrade it yourself.

GOTTOYS

The transportation battery usually belongs to the driver and they take it with them when they go. The dealer will install a battery. Usually the cheapest 12 volt battery they can get. Don't expect too much. There again it's really a very small part of the sale price...Don

Jim.Allison

Buying a rig without an RV/Marine deep cycle batt, is like having to take your own batt to pick up your new Jaguar. And I would take the dealer to task over the issue, and I would not pay extra for the batt, under the idea that it has no batt. It is implied that the rig has a batt, as everything on it is DC until it get hooked to shore power, and even then the batter is a component.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I believe that in the past the dealer supplied the batteries.
Currently the batteries come from Heartland.
Not sure if this applies to all models.
A call to the factory would confirm this.

Peace
Dave

pegmikef

The three Heartland rigs I have bought including my 2014 BH all came with dealer provided batteries and not real good ones at that. I immediately replaced them with better ones. In the case of my BH, only one battery was provided even though it is set up to accommodate two batteries. I imagine that the rigs with residential reefers probably may come from the factory with batteries as they use an inverter to run the reefer.

Brazos

Our 2015 Bighorn 3570RS with a residential frig came with two batteries. The dealer did not mention they did not come with the rig. So I think they came from the factory. They look like a generic battery. No labels I can find. As someone else mentioned you can get better aftermarket batteries that have more Ah storage capacity.

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
Thanks for you responses, I will keep my current batteries from old one if the deal goes through. Doug

Westwind

My Bighorn came with and Excide and must have been installed by the dealer, I got 3 years out of it and then started to experience problems which after much discussion with fellow RV'ers thought the problem was the Converter - after replacing it I realized the problem was the battery, replaced it with a Interstate, since I've had good luck in the past and so far so good.

sjandbj

My 2015 Big Country came with two batteries at no additional cost. They were supplied by the dealer but the dealer gave the option to pay the difference and get Trojan batteries installed. I thought it was a fair deal.

Steve

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I'm still using the original battery that the rig came with. It's a Deka Marine Master & RV battery, Dual Purpose: Deep Cycle & Starting. I keep the water level (distilled) up and charge it occasionally while it's stored in the garage over the winter. Seems to be fine.

SeattleLion

The manufacturer doesn't supply a battery. I don't know of a deal from a RV dealer that doesn't include a battery. Ours is good one and when I traded my travel trailer in, I asked the service manager to install my 2nd battery (from the TT) in the new Bighorn. He said it was too small (schedule 24). Instead, he installed another battery in my new trailer for free. When you think about it, the battery is only a few bucks and the trailer is many thousands. It seems too insignificant to worry about who buys it. I have to say it felt nice that the dealer took care of me.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
The only new camper that I had to buy a battery for at the time of sale was a 2004 KZ camper. Since then we have bought 4 Heartland products and all came with a battery. Our 2008 Big Country was in the camper for about 3 years before we had to replace it. Our new Landmark came with 2 batteries, one for the residential refrig but both are tied together.

Geodude

We saw our new 3585 for the first time today and it had two batteries in it. I didn't look to see what kind or what the amp hour ratings are. Guess I'll find that out when we pick it up in a few days.

SeattleLion

We saw our new 3585 for the first time today and it had two batteries in it. I didn't look to see what kind or what the amp hour ratings are. Guess I'll find that out when we pick it up in a few days.

Did you see the batteries or just the cases? Units all come with two cases.

Geodude

I didn't look at them (we only had 20 minutes free to "visit") but the dealer told me they supply two batteries. I'll be sure to look with my own two eyes on pickup day, and add my G27 if needed.

shive787

Just expect the dealer to try and beat you out of anything possible. My Elkridge came with a dead no name battery. Get a build sheet from the factory, that's what I did when my dealer tried to beat me out of the outside grill that came with the trailer.

-Wade

2014' ElkRidge 37 Ultimate

traveler44

I think that they threw in the new Interstate battery when we bought the Bighorn in July 09. This is the only battery that we have needed and it is still going strong today. Ours had an extra battery box in the front compartment that I removed for storage space.