Standing on Slide

blkdodge

I have to replace the D shaped seal on the door side slide and was wondering if it's ok to stand and kneel on slide roof. I would assume it would be.

olcoon

There was a similar question on here some time back, with mixed results. If I remember right most of the people "thought" it would be OK. If you are still unsure, you could call Heartland Customer Service & ask one of the techs.I "think" this possibly is a link to the thread I was reading.

blkdodge

Roy,
Thanks for the link, I will try to replace the seal from the roof. If not I will have to be on the slide roof.

MCTalley

Not sure if yours is different, but my D seal along the tops of the slides is fastened on each end and slides pretty easily off the channel it is mounted on. I just climb up a ladder at each end of the slide, remove the screw and pull it off one end. Installation is reverse of removal.

If you find that the sealant they put along the top of the D seal is causing it to hang and giving it a good yank doesn't loosen it up enough to slide off, then you may need to step down onto the slide roof and work on it that way. I've done it a couple times for other reasons with no ill effect.

jimtoo

Only run the slide out about 6" then use a ladder against the slide. You will be plenty close that way. You will have a shelf (top of slide) to lay your tools on and easy access to the seal all along there in case of caulking holding it someplace.

Jim M

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
When I put our slide out in January before we headed out to Arizona, the D seal was stuck to the slider and pulled away from the wall.

I noticed it, got out the ladder and unstuck it before it pulled all the way off, but could not get it back on the bracket because of the sealant/caulking.

I accessed that it was not a leak problem, so we went on our trip and I kept an eye on it when we put the slide in and out as we moved about to several RV parks along the way, and when I parked it for the winter when we got home I made sure that it was in place when I closed up the slide for the season.

I'll be replacing it this spring . . .

SeattleLion

We had ours falling out. It wasn't easy to slide in the channel. What we did is put a hole in the rubber near the track and tied a string to it, then fed it in one end and my wife on the other end, pulling while I pushed. It worked well. We temporarily screwed the molding to the coach. Last fall, the dealer replaced it and used silicone to keep it from coming out. Almost every piece of D-molding on our trailer was sliding out.