Starting to change my mind on Heartland

geeksrus

When I first started looking for a 5th wheel, Big Horn was my choice. But let me tell ya since reading this forum it seems like Heartland is going down hill. I hear stuff on other forums about other SOB's but it does not seem as bad as it is getting with Heartland products. I may be wrong but that is just what I am getting since I started reading this forum. Used to it was "Heartland customer service is great", but does not seem that way now.

IMHO: you are doing the right thing by passing on Heartland's products. Larryheadhunter's thread about gathering info about suspension problems is a serious negative reflection of HL not protecting the safety of their customers. HL has known about these problems for quite awhile and yet they don't seem to modify the new builds to ensure customer safety.
Besides my scenario there, I've had a number of problems that have required costly fixes.

Eh!

caissiel

Well said Hunter.
Our first 5th wheel had the basics, fridge, stove, HW tank, furnace, bed, 4 wheels, springs. Optional was the A/C.
Look at the stuff there is on our units now, you can fill 2 pages of items, and thats on an RV, More then there is on a new home.
No wonder we are having some issues, we have so much more items to attend to then on cars and homes.
In addition we park them in a snow back all winter and hope everything is right when we take them out for vacation.

If I went back to the 1st one I surely would have less to care about, but I would not enjoy it because we love our BC and all the options.

Golferkids

WE have owned several brands of RVs and have found better quality and support in the Heartland product than we experienced before. Not only did they supply us with a book that had ALL the systems explained in it, they also have the contact numbers posted several places so IF you have a question or problem there is some one to help. There will always be problems with our "Rolling Earthquake" some caused by our own inexperience and others are just plain equipment failure. No matter how much QA you do, there is always a chance of a flaw in metal or fiberglass that may go undetected. Just keep a cool head and go with the flow. What may seem a big problem now may be tomorrows great story of helpful prople and new experiences.

Good luck in your search. hope you find the trailer of your dreams!

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Southern Nights (Larry), is absolutely correct about my intentions regarding the Lippert suspension problems. My personal opinion about Heartland and our Big Horn is "My wife and I love our unit", and in general terms would recommend Heartland with a "big thumbs up". In fact, if we ever buy another 5th wheel, it will absolutely be a Heartland. I have taken on Lippert as a representative of all of our HL owners on principle and safety issues. My biggest concern is the 6K axles with 3 leaf spring sets. Most of our other issues were minor and over the course of the first years HL warranty, we have satisfied most of our concerns. Just make sure you get 7K axles, and 4-5 leaf spring sets when you walk off the dealer's lot, and do a thorough PDI. If you aren't mechanical and electrical bring someone who is.

I am still waiting for a call back from Lippert mgt concerning the issues mentioned above. As far as any other factory problems out the door, I am not familiar nor know of anything that would prevent me from buying a Heartland RV. That is my opinion, and I am sticking to it.

PS. I wouldn't be surprised if HL changes out product manufacturers whose products keep on breaking during the first year, including Lippert. Who wants to get such bad publicity over such minor fixable problems such as under weight axles and springs, that could turn into major issues?

Along with what mrcomer said, you also have to to remember to take each one of the "I have a serious problem" posts with a grain of salt.

What is serious to me, might be nothing more than adjustment to someone else.

I remember a post that was titled Serious rust issue or something like that. Well, as it turned out it was the underbelly screws. Not that serious and certainly not even a problem.

I am by no means belittling any thread though. As I pointed out, what is serious to some is nothing to others.

There are a few threads here that do scream for attention though. Larryheadhunter has a good one going. Knowing him through the forum and pm's though, I know his intention is not to knock HL but rather educate everyone here. However each of us chooses to use the info in his thread or any other is up to us.

With that said, if you choose to take ALL these posts at face value, then go ahead and run like you what . If you get to know the people who post them and then interpret the posts with the poster in mind, you might find out that the posts aren't so much critical as they are for either giving or recieving information.

Last edited:

Hunter11

The Heartland unit that the wife and I both like and can both agree on as far as what we want in our next trailer is the Big Country 3355RL. We will be ordering the next trailer we get pretty much loaded but does anyone know if we could upgrade to the 7k axles on a factory order? If so any idea what that would cost? Anything I can do to avoid frame or axle issues going forward might be worth a little extra up front. Then the next issue is tires.....

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Hunter,
I don't know, IMHO, don't buy it unless it has the 7K axles, and the 4-5 leaf spring set suspension. You might want to speak to your dealer about this issue as well as Heartland themselves. Maybe Jim B. can find out the answer.

jnbhobe

Hunter; I ordered my unit with 7K axels and GY 614 tires. I think dealers can only order them on sold retail orders. Also it will not change the GVWR. Total cost was expensive, About $1200. I think. Also included 5 tires and 110lb. rated wheels. :cool::cool::cool: JON

Hunter11

Thanks for the info. The GVWR would be fine the way it sits I just believe in over kill and especially when it comes to Lippert and their issues. I would pay that price for the 7k axles and GY 614 tires. As I said in a previous post the manufacture of the trailer we own now has had the same kind of issues with Lippert but like Heartland they have tried to take care of their customers effected by it. Our unit was built on a heavier frame and has not had issues (watch me jinx myself) at this point but I do keep an eye on things.

I know some people may wonder why I am here asking questions about the Heartland units instead of buying from the same manufacture we have now since I feel they are so good. Well the fact is they do not have a floor plan we can both agree on and Heartland does. From my reading and research it would appear to me they (Heartland) have the same level of customer care we are use to with what we have now and have had for 5 years. I want to do as much reseach as I can before we pull the trigger and sell our trailer and place an order for a new one. You guys have been great to answer my questions and I do appreciate that.

patrick1945

We also love our BIGHORN butttt

We cannot understand why it is so difficult for Heartland to provide an up to date manual.

Why when I ask the factory do they not answer?

If there weren't really great Heartland/RV owners information would be non-existant.

I have posted 57 times and most of the questions I have asked should have been handled by a owners manual for my 2009 3055 Big Horn. It is just too simple to say "most of the manuals" are out of date before printed. It is not much of an exaggeration to say that the MFG. offers 2011 units in 2009-why the H*&L can't they provide an updated manual?

If I paid 1/2 of the price that I paid for this FW for a new car I would expect and receive a manual for that vehicle.

Once again we really like this FW but its a fight to get information.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Hunter
I only have one piece of advice.
If you do order the BC with 7k axels and 5 leaf springs it is very possible that your trailer will be very stiff unless fully loaded and you might find things could be bounced apart.

Such as the clothes rod in the front bedroom, pictures off the wall, cabinets becoming loose, glasses and such bouncing and breaking..

This option could be a double edged sword. If I were to build you a trailer and you insisted on putting a different suspension than what we suggested, I am not sure what I would warranty some of your problems. If the TV bounced off the mounting and broke, would you tell the person, I told you it wouldn't be a good idea?? I would be sure they would warranty the changes.

Now I am not trying to tell you to not do something. When the spring broke on my 2008 Bighorn 3400RE it had 6k axles with 4 leaf springs and Lippert took care of the repair, but I had them put 7k axles and 5 leaf springs back under the trailer. It raised the trailer about 3 inches and it did ride stiffer.

You will have to prepare for this possibility. My trailer is rated at 14,800# GVWR and I am close to that weight. However I wanted a better suspension because I fulltime, so I replaced the axles, springs & brakes with Mor/Ryde.

Each of us have to take responsibility for what we want and do.

I think Heartland will be a good choice, but be sure of what you want or need in the trailer you buy. Once you buy it and the warranty is past it is yours to keep in good shape regardless of what the problem might be. This pertains to all RV Manufacturers.

FWIW
BC

Hunter11

It is a shame that you pay your money and take your chances with the Lippert frame. The only knock I can find with Heartland when comparing to the other trailers on our list is the 1 year warranty where everyone else has 2 years. I wonder if they will ever step theirs up to 2 years like most of the other companies out there? Other than that they seem to have everything we are looking for.

regan

Regan
I have a 2008 Bighorn 3400 RL. I had a few issues with it when I bought it. Heartland was very responsive, even letting me take to the RV shop of my choice (not the dealer). Since then everything has worked great. We are very happy with our Bighorn, we dont plan on buying another because we Love the one we have! We dont live in ours full time, but we do use it extensively in the summer. It is pulled up and down mountain passes, we do a far amount of dry camping. and it is interesting when evening rolls around, everyone gathers around the Bighorn. More room, more amenities, more storage. I think it is great the Heartland lets everyone "vent" and post. I would say the vast majority are very happy with their rigs!! and Hearland knows that so they are fine with an open forum.

RollingHome

Just remember one thing... Do you trust anyone who hides their dirty laundry... or who aires it for ALL (MEANING YOU) to see... ur choice ! HL let's us all see it (i.e the dirty undies) ... other's don't... ur move dude :)