Storage Tubes

HornedToad

When I upgraded from a travel trailer to a fifth wheel toyhauler I lost my bumper to stow the sewer hose and added a king pin stabilizer. My solution... Storage Tubes

I got the idea for an underbelly storage tube from this forum, except the post used (expensive) aluminum square channel. I bought my supplies for just under $150, two 10 ft 6 inch thin wall PVC pipes with end caps from a plumbing supply warehouse, the metal strapping and spray paint from the hardware store. I cut the pipe to size, painted and used the existing underbelly bolts to strap in place. I slip my king pin stabilizer and a wheel chock in one tube and my sewer hose with adapter and the another wheel chock in the other. I use the strap wrench for my generator oil filter to remove/replace the end caps. You can see from the second photo that I set the ends back under the trailer so they didn't stick out.

Storage Tube 1.jpg

Storage Tube 2.jpg

Last edited:

mbopp

I've heard of using 5" square plastic fence posts from Lowes or HD to carry sewer hose.

GatoGordo

Great idea! I will copy. I am thinking of using flexible tubing on the ceiling of my basement to store my 50 amp cord. If it works as expected I will post a new thread with details.

jimtoo

Hi GatoGordo,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

As you have already found, there are lots of mods on the forum that have been done by our other members, that you can incorporate into your unit to make it just like you like it.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

DRGalligher

When we got our Bighorn, it came with what is called a sewer boom. The concept was good in that it contained the sewer hose while it was connected semi-permanently, and when you needed to dump your tanks, you simply swung it out. Problem was that you could not attach a clear short section for monitoring the emptying of your tank. So, we removed the whole thing. Then we were faced with how/where to store the hose. We kept it in a clear storage bin and that worked for awhile but it took up extra space in the storage bay. Fast forward and DH installed a storage compartment for the hose. it Not only contains the hose, but a spare and the bayonet and the piece that connects the two for a longer hose.
He mounted in on the side, using black 4" ABS piping that he drilled holes in top and bottom for air circulation and drainage. He fastened a screwed on lid on both ends, with the end closest the drain valve angled for easy removal and additional drainage. Each end cap is attached with a short chain should it come either undone by itself, we won't lose it or forget that we removed it when using it hence leaving it behind somewhere. From the angle of the photos it looks lower than the frame but in fact it isn't and is higher than the lowest point of the drain valve. It looks really sharp.

20130610_184338_zps162b3984.jpg

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Just a heads up. I made a 4" ABS tube with screw caps about a year ago as several others have done here.
When I went to put sewer hoses in it, I found several of my hoses would not fit.
Apparently some of the newer style "easy twist" fittings on the hoses are made larger for an easy grip.
I had to cut the fins off several of them and I was able to squeeze all but one in the tubes.
I assumed the 4" was the same as the tubes they sell at CW. Then after checking I found the ready made one's are just a tad larger (4 1/2" to 5" ) to accomodate the larger fittings. Trace

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Just a heads up. I made a 4" ABS tube with screw caps about a year ago as several others have done here.
When I went to put sewer hoses in it, I found several of my hoses would not fit.
Apparently some of the newer style "easy twist" fittings on the hoses are made larger for an easy grip.
I had to cut the fins off several of them and I was able to squeeze all but one in the tubes.
I assumed the 4" was the same as the tubes they sell at CW. Then after checking I found the ready made one's are just a tad larger (4 1/2" to 5" ) to accomodate the larger fittings. Trace

Yep, RhinoFlex fittings definitely won't fit in a 4" tube. But I can stuff a 15' and a 10' section, with fittings, in my sewer hose compartment on the side of the rig.

By the way, did you notice on the tour of Plant 2 that they're bringing that little compartment back?

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
By the way, did you notice on the tour of Plant 2 that they're bringing that little compartment back?

John,
Unfortunately I didn't see the tour of plant 2, because we had to cancel our Goshen trip in April.:(

However, I'm glad they're bringing back that little compartment.

Trace