Strange 6-point Level-Up behavior

vakthund

I have the 6-point Level-Up on my Cyclone and based on comments on this forum wanted to reduce the wear on the hydraulic pump by putting 6" blocks under each leg hence reducing the leg travel and run time of the pump. I tested this on fairly level ground and to my amazement the Level-Up lifted the camper 6" higher. The wheels cleared 3+ inches on both sides. Is this normal behavior?
After some more testing is seems that the rear ODS leg is the key to the puzzle. If I put a 1" board under that and 6" under the rest of the legs the Level-Up it will level as normal. Seems like any height I add to the rear ODS leg the camper will be raised that much higher. Seem like a strange design.
Also, when one of the legs have reached max travel the Level-Up head unit crashes and reboots.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I assume that you reprogramed the level up when you started using lumber? Other than that I cant tell you.

danemayer

putting 6" blocks under each leg

I don't think there's anything wrong. If you have a 6" block under each leg, the computer extends the jacks to what it's been programmed to think is a normal height above ground, but is actually 6" higher than normal with respect to the ground. Then it tries to level. So normal height becomes 6" higher than with no blocks. In that case, wheels could easily be off the ground.

The test with a 1" board on the ODS side suggests that jack is the reference jack for the computer to level the others against. In that scenario, you're probably making the auto-leveler do extra work to reach a level condition.

I sometimes put blocks under the front jacks so they don't extend as far - which seems to improve stability and reduce noise from the jacks, but I'm not worried about wear on the hydraulic pump.

vakthund

My obviously wrong understanding was that the legs sensed when they reached ground as the line pressure would reach some threshold. The unit would then try to level the camper at that height. This seems to be happening, the four legs extend down and the Level-Up pauses when all the legs have "touched down" onto the blocks. It then goes on to raise the camper 6" by alternating extending the legs on the left and right side. It is a beautiful thing to watch and will come in handy when rotating tires but it just seems strange to me. I have not changed any programming on the unit (yet) :) I have not found anywhere to program the height or ground level. I see where I can change or adjust level but no height.
Many have complained about noise but I have not experienced any - with or without blocks.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I agree that there is no height sensor. The unit should only seek level, not height.
I would give a call to Lippert to see what's up.
Lippert Components Inc.
866-524-7821
They will most likely have you do a hard reset on the system and re-program your level.
Let us know what they say.

Peace
Dave

porthole

Retired
Guess I'll have to try this on the cyclone. Either way, no height sensor, only level.

Personally I would not worry about running the pump a few extra seconds.

vakthund

I want to do some more testing as he Cyclone has developed a hydraulic pump issue also. When extending the slides the pump stops half way and I have to wait a minute or so to continue. The camper is going back to the dealer for various repairs and these two items are on the list (among others).

One day I'll put something clever in here.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If your hydraulic pump stops and you have to wait for it to reset then you need to change the 50 amp breaker.
It may be weak. They are about $10 at an auto parts store.
You will find the 50 amp breaker in the breaker panel behind the battery.

Peace
Dave

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I want to do some more testing as he Cyclone has developed a hydraulic pump issue also. When extending the slides the pump stops half way and I have to wait a minute or so to continue. The camper is going back to the dealer for various repairs and these two items are on the list (among others).

One day I'll put something clever in here.

Sounds like Cookie and Jon nailed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andy

vakthund I would never put blocks that tall under landing legs . I was setting up last year when I heard a boom. The guy behind me was also setting up an had put his landing legs up on blocks . When he pulled his truck out something caught an pulled his trailer off the blocks onto his truck bending his bed up pretty bad

vakthund

Thanks for the breaker suggestion, I will add that to the list for the dealer - until May they get to do the work.

Willym

You could try resetting the auto-level by disconnecting shore power and opening and then losing the the battery disconnect switch. My auto-level does funny things sometimes when I don't do this.

vakthund

@Wilym: I do switch the battery off when I park the camper so it has ben reset rather regularly. The dealer suggested replacing the auto reset breaker for the pump first and see if it improves the situation. Also suggested I spray the legs with silicon spray every now and then to reduce friction.