Strange drop in fuel mileage

JanAndBill

Topped off the tank with fresh fuel, and added Ford's PM 22A fuel treatment per instructions. Tow tune programed in with a 50hp boost. 235 miles towing today with some pretty steep grades at times and my mileage is at 11.8. Previously with the same set up I would have been at about 11 with all the hills. I put in 6 oz of the additive at a cost of $3.30, of which I still have about 3/8 of a tank left. Based on the better fuel mileage I calculate I saved just under 1-1/2 gallons of disel or $5.16 for a net savings of a minimum of $1.86 or about $.08/mile. That will of course go up if I factor in the remaining fuel. I also noted that the engine seemed to pull better, with less boost pressure required. When I return home if this still seems worthwhile, I have a source that I can buy the stuff a lot cheaper than going to a Ford dealer.

JanAndBill

Just a little over 600 miles of towing since I started using the Ford PM 22-A fuel additive. I'm up to 12 mpg (hand calculated). Boost pressure stays around 20-21 in a pull. Truck doesn't seem to be working as hard now even in the hills.

olcoon

Talking to a couple of friends last week & they are also experiencing low MPG. We've got 2 Dodges (2010, & 2012) and 1 Ford all diesels. Kind of wondering if they've done something to the fuel? Only explanation we could come up with!

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Talking to a couple of friends last week & they are also experiencing low MPG. We've got 2 Dodges (2010, & 2012) and 1 Ford all diesels. Kind of wondering if they've done something to the fuel? Only explanation we could come up with!

They (oil companies) have done something with the fuel and that is they are now manufacturing the summer blend. In the fall they switch to the winter blend. I don't know the specifics but do know there is a difference in them.