Strange Tire Wear

Lynn1130

It looks like to me that the edges are worn and the center is not. There could be some edge wear from turns but the lack of wear on the center and wear on the outside indicates to me, anyway, under inflation. In all honesty photos on tires are difficult to evaluate due to light angles etc so I could be way off. I am sure others will have some ideas.

cgaskins

Yes, I was running the tire pressure low. These tires can carry way more load than my trailer is and these are the first set of trailer tires I ever had that are "G" rated / 110psi. (Yes, my wheels/rims will handle it.) So I was running them at about 95psi - mostly because my compressor would get them higher than 95psi. (I know - sad excuse.) I will pump them up to 110psi and monitor the wear. (Suggestions on a 12 volt compressor that will do that?)

Is there an easy way for me to determine if there is axle misalignment or do I need special equipment for that?

Any other thoughts?

-Chris

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Under inflation is my guess. Set them at 110# cold and run them until you need tires. The rubber is gone..can'i put it back. They may straighten out some with proper inflation.

carl2846

i dont see any photos, however under inflated would wear on the outside edges, over inflated would show wear in the center. an alignment issue driver side /passenger side, one side of the rig would have outer tread wear and the opposite side will show wear on the inner tread. you can visually inspect for broken leaf springs, bent and or twisted frame. but you should always run at 110psi.

hoefler

I see uneven wear on all the tires, one edge showes more wear than the opposite edge on the same tire, which points me to an alignment issue. Under inflation is not helping you either.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I love this little air compressor (up to 120 PSI and AC/DC):

KobaltAirCompressor-P1010569.jpg LowesKobaltAC.jpg

Got it at Lowe's . . . $40

I keep it under the back seat of my truck so it is always with me!

cgaskins

Will that little compressor really handle going to 120PSI without running hot and shutting off? I have a small 12 volt one that is supposed to do 100 PSI and it runs hot and I have to let it cool down to get from 90PSI to 100PSI.

-Chris

JohnD

I pumped up a totally flat tire (had a slow leak) on a coworkers truck to 80 PSI twice in two days . . .

Took about 20 minutes and got warm . . . not hot.

However, most of the time we are not filling tires . . . but just topping them off with a small few PSI.

Topping off tires and filling bike tires are it's main usage.

danemayer

Chris,

A lot of us have the ViAir 450p which easily inflates our LR G or LR H tires up to 110 psi and has a continuous duty cycle. It's expensive but does a great job.

rxbristol

Not since I purchased. I assume it was done at the factory. Where would I get this done? My rig has the "correct track" system - does that make it easier?

-Chris

The Lippert web site has a listing of the authorized alignment shops, but call first because I found even though they are listed they don't do alignments. I wonder if other trailer shops (semi truck types) can do the Correct Track system?

cgaskins

The Lippert web site has a listing of the authorized alignment shops, but call first because I found even though they are listed they don't do alignments. I wonder if other trailer shops (semi truck types) can do the Correct Track system?

Cool. Thanks for the tip.

-Chris

cgaskins

Ok - I purchased the Kobalt Dual Voltage Air Compressor. Works like a champ - much better than the old 12 volt compressor I had. I used it to air up this morning before we left Houston, did all four tires to 110 psi. I love the auto shut off feature.

kobalt-compressor.jpg

JohnD

Ok - I purchased the Kobalt Dual Voltage Air Compressor. Works like a champ - much better than the old 12 volt compressor I had. I used it to air up this morning before we left Houston, did all four tires to 110 psi. I love the auto shut off feature.

View attachment 47508

That's pretty cool!

I wonder if that is a new version of mine as I didn't see the one I have when I was in Lowe's the other day.

LowesKobaltAC.jpg

Carleen

I have fallen in love with my Porter Cable Compressor. Not a bad price on Amazon- I like the auto on/off feature, the ability to regulate the pressure you want to the hose, quickly fills the tank and it has decent sized tank for a portable compressor. I have used it a ton around the house and to fill the 110 psi trailer tires (during a leak we had earlier while on the road). It hasn't failed me yet!!!

https://www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE...79435&sr=8-5&keywords=porter+cable+compressor

tireman9

The general consensus of low air is almost certainly correct. You indicated the tire can carry more than your TT weighs. Curious...What are the measured load numbers for each end of each axle?

RE inflation. With your LT tires you will probably get better durability (less likely to have Tread or Belt separation) if you run the tire sidewall pressure of 110 as this will lower the "Interply Shear" force that is trying to tear the belts apart with every turn or curve you go around. This is true for all multi axle trailers.