Such A Deal

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Well, with all the current TV commercials for quitting smoking :eek: I have made a deal with the DH. He thinks it's a safe bet and isn't going to cost him a dime.

I'm going to quit smoking cold turkey on January 1st. I get a $1000.00 shopping spree :D:D:D after one year of my new life! Dangling money under my nose may help because I've tried everything else. Here's where you all come in.

Please check in on my progress and support my efforts to become a non-smoker! If anyone else would like to take the challenge let me know and maybe we can form our own support group.

Heartland changed my life once already and just may help to change it again! LET'S DO IT!

I know you can do it. I quit cold turkey 18 1/2 years ago. Once you have made up you mind to do it YES YOU CAN. Good luck and hang in there. Once you have joined the ranks of the non-smokers you will realize what a disgusting habit it is. Hang around MD Anderson Cancer Hospital a few days seeing all of the people dealing with cancer and every time you want a cigarette you can think about those images and the urge goes away. Good luck....BTW don't make it a New Years resolution, make it a New Year's promise.:)

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
Where's Jerry? You can do this with me Jer! Bill go get Jerry. No more walks to the lounge my friend????

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Debbie,I just read your post to Renee and she wanted me to tell you that YOU CAN DO IT! Her dad quit cold turkey.The doctor told him that he was going to die if he didn't quit so he quit.He had smoked 2 packs a day for 35 years.Since yours and Renees birthdays are a day apart,wouldn't it be fun for you guys to meet somewhere and spend your $1000.00?I might even find a couple bucks for Renee to spend. We believe you can do it.

2010augusta

Way to go Deb, you can do it!!!

You could have made a better deal and get a shopping spree for the amount you saved by not smoking for a year, if you smoked 1 pack a day at $9 a pack in one year it would cost almost $3,300.00, so a $1,000 spree is still a bargin;).

Good luck.

LongIslandTodd

2003 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
Its worth it

I quit 10 months ago. I used the electronic Cig for one month and that was it. I feer and breath better. Its all in the mind you can do it.

Flying Dutchman

Virginia Chapter Leaders - Retired
I did it cold turkey, ............. 32 years ago. I know you can do it Debbie, we are pulling for you. The $1,000 in the end will pale in comparison to the satisfaction and pride you will feel about yourself. Happy New Year, and may 2010 be the best year for you yet.

Tom of Ypsi

I also did it cold turkey almost 16 years ago and I was told I was a heavy smoker, 3-4 pack of camels a day. A lot of will power, lots of support from your familiy and friends and you will do it. Just think of how good you will feel, how much more money you will have and how proud everyone will be of you. Good Luck and God Bless

CrazyScotsman

Well, Deb, I hope you can do it, I've tried the patch, the gum, and Chantix, only thing that made me quit was a stroke, but dumb **s me started smoking again after a year . My excuse was I got tired gaining weight. Poor excuse.

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
Wow, this is a little overwhelming and holy crap you all are the best!

Woke up this morning, hit the coffee pot, turned on the laptop and you all talked me through my first cup of coffee without a smoke in 38 years. I didn't smoke in the house so I would go outside freezing raining whatever. Today I enjoy my coffe on the couch. Life is good!

Renee, you got a shopping date coming next year! I am sooooo happy that I made that post. I love you guys!

Ken, you want to try again you let me know. I too used the patch, the gum, nicotine inhaler, hypnosis, pressure points, accupuncture zyban and chantix. I had a hard addiction but never attempted cold turkey. Everytime I found some sort of crutch that was going to get me through it. What I found this time is the love and support of friends and family and $1000.00 of course. The cash doesn't really mean anything except that Renee and I are going shopping! Hey Gus, can Debra come out and go shopping in a year?

Jim/rsvl/AR

Glad to hear you have started off the NEW YEAR with a big bang!! You are well on your way now -- keep up the good work.

4ever

You can do it. Just be determined and stick with it. I quit back in 1986 cold turkey and I was smoking 2 - 3 packs a day. Stay tough.

Ted

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Wow, this is a little overwhelming and holy crap you all are the best!

Woke up this morning, hit the coffee pot, turned on the laptop and you all talked me through my first cup of coffee without a smoke in 38 years. I didn't smoke in the house so I would go outside freezing raining whatever. Today I enjoy my coffe on the couch. Life is good!

Renee, you got a shopping date coming next year! I am sooooo happy that I made that post. I love you guys!

Ken, you want to try again you let me know. I too used the patch, the gum, nicotine inhaler, hypnosis, pressure points, accupuncture zyban and chantix. I had a hard addiction but never attempted cold turkey. Everytime I found some sort of crutch that was going to get me through it. What I found this time is the love and support of friends and family and $1000.00 of course. The cash doesn't really mean anything except that Renee and I are going shopping! Hey Gus, can Debra come out and go shopping in a year?

She can come out:). The money may be a different matter:eek:! Keep it up - you can do this!

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Debbie,this is Renee's secretary writing this as she tells me what to write.If you need a friend to help you make it through a tough time,just call or email Renee.I will send you a pm with her contact info.

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
So far so good but it's hard. Thanks for all the support and trust me there has been far more than you see here. The PM's, e-mails and phone calls keep coming and I appreciate all your help. Thank you all so much! This is awesome!

mjatwalker

Retired MD Chapter ******s
You just GO GIRL!! I know you can give up the smokes. From one drummer to another
don't miss that BEAT.

Mike

Dave

Traveling Two
Deb...Good luck, you can do it, if I quite smoking anybody can. I quite on new years day 15 years ago after smoking for over 30 years. I made a game out of it, I made it through two days, then three, I told myself lets go for five days then a week etc, it worked for me. Good luck!

mjatwalker

Retired MD Chapter ******s
Hey Deb--I quit in 1995. I tried 2 years befoe that and used to wake up in the middle of the night craving a cigarette. When I finally quit, it was because I really, really, really wanted to. As a crutch I kept a pack of cigaretts in the freezer for 2 plus years. My daughter's grilfriend would often snatch my safety net stach but would always manage to replace it before I noticed it was gone. One afternoon I was less than my charming, and sociable self when my loving (and or so smart) husband reached into the freezer and tossed the pack of cigarettes at me and told me to light up. That was all it took--after a few kind words to him, I waited for Denise's next visit so I could rid my freezer of my crutch.

As long as you're really ready you too can kick the habit. If you've reached that point, it won't be a cake walk but it will be easy. Good luck. I'm rooting for you.:angel: