Such A Deal

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I quit smoking January 1986 by just laying them down. DW didn't know I had stopped after two weeks had gone by.

Our Daughter found the DW smoking around the GrandKids and told her she could not see the grandkids if she didn't stop smoking. She went to an acupuncturist. She stopped in 5 weeks and cost about $500.

BC

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I quit cold turkey in 1976, after smoking for 14 years (started at age 14). Took a couple of tries, but I made it. One thing that may help is to also restrict or quit whatever you normally associated a smoke with. For me, it was multiple cups of coffee during the day, so I quit drinking it after breakfast. It took about 5 years to really get over the addiction. Now, I'd rather smell a house fire than somebody's cigarette. The wife never smoked and was more than happy when I finally quit.

Camarell

$1000??!! He's getting off CHEAP! a pack a day at $5 a pack is $1800! I say you bump it up to all the money you didn't spend on smokes PLUS a $1000 shopping trip ;) I quit nearly 15yrs ago cold turkey, I chewed away my obsession with beef jerkey. It really helped with the oral fixation issue.

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
He may be getting off cheap but as I said before it's not about the money. It's about giving myself a chance with a healthier lifestyle. I can't really remember when I didn't smoke. Except yesterday, oh I remember yesterday real well.

Renee Deal is my official quit buddy and I can call her anytime and I probably will!!!! Sam & Larry are quitting too!! We will need to support them as well and it is somewhat comforting that somebody else is challenging themselves to succeed.

What I noticed on day one - The ashtray in front of Wal*Mart STINKS!

Thanks again to everyone! You are all helping to make this easier for us quitters and Larry, that reading material is great and helps to understand what we're going through!

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Renee had another thought.As we said eairler her dad quit 30 years ago,well he still carries a lighter in his pocket to remind him of what he doesn't want to do and where he came from.She also says when you have the urge to light up grab a stick of gum,or a piece of candy and call her.You can do it!

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
Terry please tell Renee she will hear from me I'm sure. I am going to hit my hurdle on Monday when I return to work. :eek::eek::eek: The high stress environment is not going to help. Until then, lot's of gum and life savers. Ironic that the candy of choice is a "LIFE SAVER".:D

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
Moving into day 3 and boy yesterday was little rough. Never knew I was capable of obsessing like that. Not that I had any control over it as the cravings were almost constant! Fought them off ok and moving on! Thanks to Jerry for making me laugh for hours on the phone. It helped so much! Renee, you're next so I'll be in touch.

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
We are proud of you Debbie and to all the other fine people on the forum who are kicking the habit.Notice I said kicking the habit not trying to kick the habit.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Debbie,

Debra says I owe her a $1000:confused:. Sounds like a tandem shopping spree could be in the making!:eek:

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
Oh boy, knowing what I know now :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: you owe her way more that $1000.00 buddy!!!!!! But I like the way the shopping thing is shaping up!

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
Spent almost an hour on the phone with my quit buddy (Renee Deal). She is a truly wonderful woman! She has a natural calming effect that I can't explain. Thanks for caring Renee! You made a difference today my friend!

Flying Dutchman

Virginia Chapter Leaders - Retired
I know what you are going through and it is tough. You have developed and nurtured many "triggers" over the years that rev up the addiction urge. For me, my success in beating my smoking habit (and yes, I had a boat full of previous attempts that failed) was a change in mindset that now refused to let my addiction lead. A little hard to understand, but it is as simple as the difference in just saying words that you are quitting, versus a real commitment to win the battle.
Use every support available. Keep calling Renee every time you start to weaken, and know that there are many of us out here that love you and support your effort and are pulling for you to the end. YOU WILL BEAT IT!

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
My DH and I both quit cold turkey. It is, in my opinion, easier than trying to piece-meal it. As others have said, the first few days are the worst...but you CAN do it!

How do we know...it will be 26 years on April 20, 2010...Hang in There!!:D

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
First day back to work :eek: Aced it! Home now and doing ok! Thanks for the e-mails Bud (Renee)! I have heard that Larry and Sam are doing OK too and it's all because of your support! Thanks everyone!

dieselsweetheart

Yay Deb!! Good for you! It does help to have a big support group. Studies show that people substitute one addiction for another...so make sure your new addiction is not food or gambling...haha.. how about knitting..crocheting...anything to keep your hands busy. I am on a fitness and healthy kick now...gotta shed some extra pounds I put on over the last 5 years of sitting in online school...just as tough not to make bad food choices...so hopefully come May and your rally you will be smoke free and I will be fat free. HAHA....

Ernie & Lettie

Keep up the good work. I quit last Jan after 47 years of smoking. Quit cold turkey, was tough the first few days but things got better. My health was improving and I could breathe better, things tasted better and I was saving a lot of money. Keep it up you will be thank-ful you did. Ernie & Lettie

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
Still going. The roughest times are at work but home is a little easier now. I'm very thankful for this support and for my Heartland friends who are staying in contact Renee, Terry, Sam & Larry you guys are the best assist a girl could have! Thank you.

BTW, Terry tell Renee I said good luck today!