Surge protector question: Using 50 amp unit on 30 amp service.

jbeletti

Pete and Sharon,

My guess is they did not want the unit to by lying on the ground. But to have it hang from the receptacle puts a lot of strain on the receptacle. In fact, I have seen many broken ones.

When you add your 18" extension, you may want to adapt one of those ground mounted RV water filter stands or some such to hold the unit.

Jim

18479n.jpg

Peteandsharon

Thanks Jim. I actually used to have exactly the water filter stand you have pictured although I never used it and subsequently lost it. I think you're right about not wanting it to lay on the ground. They specifically tell you to position it with "this end up" or they warn that it may take in water. I guess I would have lengthened the top pigtail and maybe shortened the bottom one if that was the case though. I have found that if the top pigtail were even 4" longer, that would do the trick in most cases. I think I will try to rig something up to hold it up. That sounds like a good idea. With the 18" pigtail it may come pretty close to laying on the ground.

Peteandsharon

Well the Camco 18" extension came today and it is exactly what I need. I think it solves the problem perfectly. Thanks again for the help guys.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Hay guys
we are in Niagara Falls area. Pulled into a good campground and when I connected the Surge Guard it only showed only line one working. Talked to the campground owner and he had an electrician out in two hrs. and had it fixed. Neighbor said two MH's were in the site and had problems with it coming on. If it had not been for my Surge Guard I might not have known that there was a problem..

I think I will keep mine.

As mentioned above, I wish Surge Guard had made the top pigtail about 4" longer. Mine does lay on the ground. Not much of a choice. Shore power posts are normally fairly short to the ground. Some are to close to connect the Surge Guard without the 18" extension.

Peteandsharon

I had a similar experience at a campgound in Winona, MN. Typically the surge suppressor has a two minute period before you hear a pop and it is live. For whatever reason, I would hear the pop but the red light would still be flashing. Since this was just an overnight stay I simply connected to the 30 amp outlet and it was fine. Not sure what the issue was with the 50 amp outlet but I also wouldn't have known without the surge suppressor.

jammaw08

Lights dimming

We purchased a 50 amp surge protector from CW. We used it at one camp site for several weeks with no problems. (30 amp/adaptor) Then we used it at another camp site (30 amp) in a different park and all of our lights kept getting real dim and then real bright. We then used it at yet another park (this time 50 amp) and the lights kept doing the same thing so we just quit using it. When we got home we used the protector again with our 30 amp connection and have not had a problem since. Has anyone else had this problem? Could it be the wiring at the camp sites or a faulty surge protector?

Russ

jammaw08

Forest, thanks for your reply. I guess you're right but we thought it was strange that it happened at two different camp sites in two different cities. I guess I am more concerned about the lights getting real bright (more so than usual) than them getting real dim. Will see what next trip offers.

Thanks again
Russ