Tail Lights

GPSTX

I''m a proud owner of a 2010 heartland Edge M21. My right tail light is not working. (Brakes, emergency lights, and brakes) I've discovered that I can't just replace a light bulb, as the tail lights are whole LED light assemblies hard wired into the trailer! I've checked the fuse and it is good. I bought the trailer in October of 2011 and used it for the first time this weekend. According to the gentleman doing my post buy walk around, the lights worked when we tested them. The right light didn't work this weekend! Any trouble shooting tips? It doesn't seem like LED lights just burn out like this. I'm very capable of doing electrical work especially with schematics! Wish I had had them now! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

jimtoo

Hi GPSTX,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I would just start testing at the truck plug,, then if OK,, on the back side of the pin box is a connector box,,, check inside there,, and if all OK.. remove the light..and test light plugin terminal. I'm sure you will get more ideas from other members also.

Enjoy the forum and your Edge.

Jim M

jnbhobe

Jim has covered it all the only thing I can say is to use a test light as it is easier than a meter and I doubt its your LED light is completely burned out its usually only one led at a time that burns out. I alway use a test light its a lot faster.

wdk450

GPSTX:
The fact that your left taillight assembly works eliminates the need to check the hot wiring (and ground wiring) from the trailer connector to the point the left and right taillight wiring joins (the turn signals are not shared ). My first guess in the wiring department would be a bad ground circuit on the right taillight assembly wiring. If you can get some electrical jumper wires, you should be able to jumper into the ground wire (black) just as it comes out of the taillight and make a connection to a known good ground (black wire on the working taillight assembly?). Then see if it works.
With jumper wires you should also be able to remove the taillight assembly, take it to a 12 volt battery and connect it up to see if it works. If the taillight assembly doesn't work, the problem could be something like a broken circuitboard foil on the common ground side within the taillight assembly.

Good troubleshooting!!!

GPSTX

WOW! Thanks to all for your helpful comments! After posting my question I began to think. When I said I checked all of the fuses I realized that I only checked the fuses in the trailer. I found the schematics for my truck and learned that the trailer plug in my truck had a fuse for each tail light! And what do you know, the right tail light fuse was burnt out! I was very happy to find that it was something simple! Thanks again for all of your help. I look forward to learning more from you all!

I''m a proud owner of a 2010 heartland Edge M21. My right tail light is not working. (Brakes, emergency lights, and brakes) I've discovered that I can't just replace a light bulb, as the tail lights are whole LED light assemblies hard wired into the trailer! I've checked the fuse and it is good. I bought the trailer in October of 2011 and used it for the first time this weekend. According to the gentleman doing my post buy walk around, the lights worked when we tested them. The right light didn't work this weekend! Any trouble shooting tips? It doesn't seem like LED lights just burn out like this. I'm very capable of doing electrical work especially with schematics! Wish I had had them now! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I have a 2009 RH Tail light out issue same as yours, have seen numerous Heartlands with light tail & brake light out? You will find a bad ground right side, best way to confirm, swap the two sides (like another member suggested) which will prove the light is good or not? Add yourself an additional ground for the right side, life will be good, quickly ! Be sure and check all other lights you may have more issues ??

Know anyone wanting to buy a 2009 Heartland Cyclone 3950, loaded ever option available plus the 2012 matching couches in the toy box, satellite dome direct tv 830-637-9544