taking the 101 up through Washington to Port Angeles

winterton

We are pulling a new Newport (42') and wondering if this highway is too tight for this unit. Any input would be appreciated. We were also thinking of taking the ferry over to Vancouver. Any thoughts on this???

Thanks for any and all input

We are pulling a new Newport (42') and wondering if this highway is too tight for this unit. Any input would be appreciated. We were also thinking of taking the ferry over to Vancouver. Any thoughts on this???

Thanks for any and all input

If your talking about going from Olympia, its an awesome drive up the Hood Canal. Should have no problem with the road. Lots to see. If your planning on going the long way around, road is good, but long.

Make sure you check out Salt Creek Recreation Area just west of Port Angeles. Great county park with great views of the Straits from the campsites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shelsay

Last summer, we went up 101 from Astoria around the west side of the peninsula to Port Angeles with our 39 foot Landmark. Great trip--no problems with road--just two lanes the whole way but good condition. We stayed at Salt Creek outside Port Angeles and would highly recommend it. There are only a few pull through sites, but as I remember plenty of large back-ins. I would highly suggest making reservations early. We did take the ferry from Port Townsend to Whidby Island--just six short miles but it was a beautiful ride.

Pat

wdk450

As reported before, the drive up to Port Angeles should be easy. I did this in 2012(?), stayed both South of Forks at a general store in the Ho Rain Forest, and at an old military base in Port Townsend that is now a park. Great RV park there out on a point with water on 2 sides. A view of Seattle looking East.

I found out that it IS a good idea to make reservations for the ferry - I had to wait in line in Port Townsend for 3 hours for the 2nd ferry of the day because i didn't think I needed a reservation for the first trip of the day. Charges were by the total length of the rig in feet. My rig measured 57 feet (good to know) and cost $75 for the 30 minute ride over to Anacortes. A ferry attendant PERSONALLY turns off your propane tanks and tags them.

If you are taking the rig to Victoria, be aware you are crossing into Canada with a vehicle that can hide a lot of contraband, and that may merit a lot of inspection. You will need your passports, and GUNS ARE A DEFINITE NO NO IN CANADA.

GregP

Air/pellet guns are firearms as defined under the Criminal Code of Canada. Information on importation or transittting through Canada with firearms can be obtained from the Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) website. Firearms laws in Canada can be strictly enforced at border entry points and it is suggested that anyone wanting to bring their firearms with them check in advance before encountering snags at the border.

Oldelevatorman

Went to Vancouver in '15 with our 34' TT. It was a breeze, my wife was panicked but there were semis on there so it's a piece of cake but spends. We haven't taken our Newport up there yet, currently in Mystic Seaport! Have a great trip!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

terribruce

retired Oregon Chapter Leaders
Have not as yet been able to travel up that far, but sounds like a great trip. Enjoy your trip and be safe traveling.:rolleyes:

:rolleyes:Terri