Television Replacement

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
OK, since we're now in the market for a new main TV, what are the options? I can get another 26" Jensen, same model, and know it's compatible with the Samsung amplifier RCA cabling, or look for something "better." But what is better, in a 26" LCD, that is made for RV's? It may be bogus, but Camping World sells that Jensen and makes a claim that it is built for RV use, with a sturdier frame, etc., etc.

Has anyone replaced the 26" Jensen in a 3670 mount area with anything else? I look online at a Samsung, supposedly with high ratings, but one owner found that he could not find a wall mount to fit their mounting screw pattern.

boatdoc

John, I put a Panasonic 32" LCD in our '09. Fantastic pic over the old Oliva. I just fashioned a piece of plywood as an adaptor between the hinge arm and the Pany and all woked out well. I put the TV to the left on the mount and made a fill strip for the right side in the cabinet frame so there is the same margin all around the TV, looks like a factory install to us. If you need a pic let me know.

SmokeyBare

I bought a 32 Inch Toshiba because of their very user friendly "Signal Strength Meter".
It really helps finding the best signal strength while setting the TV up at new locations.
Since our over the air antenna is located in the bedroom and the Toshiba in the living room...
Karen watches the Signal Strength meter on the TV while I fine tune the antenna back and forth.
When we hit the "info" button the Channel comes up as well as a small signal bar much like a Cell Phone has.
I found no other as helpful when I was replacing the Olivia that came in our Bighorn.
Marv

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
We have an 08 3370 with a corner cabinet swing-out mount for the tv. I can't remember if the 3670 swings out or not, but just replaced ours this weekend (don't ask about all the things that are dead or dying on the BH) with a 37" Vizio. Tried a 32" first and it didn't cover the opening in the cabinet, so Ray took it back. Used a small, flat type tilt mount, a couple extra holes in the flat mounting plate and voila! We did extend the travel straps, but other than that, it looks like it came there.
It's much lighter than the olevia and not as thick, so the cabinet still opens normally.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We have an all Vizio family here. The two in the rig are 32" and 19". I recently bought a 42 Vizio Razor LED for the house. I plan on replacing the 32" in the rig with a 37" Razor LED. What an amazing difference in picture quality. I do wish they had the feature SmokeyBare has. The signal strength meter is really a nice feature. You certainly can't go wrong with an LG or Samsung though.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We have replaced ours with 32" Insignia brand from Best Buy...really good picture quality and it also has the signal meter. We also installed a 19" Insignia in the bedroom...they both work great, and the price can't be beat!

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Just another tip, if you buy any electronics from Wal-Mart, they offer an extended warranty really cheap (for our 27", it was like $34 for 5 yrs). We did this when we bought a tv knowing it would be "traveling."

TT

reverts

We have a 2009 3055 and we just replaced ours in November, Jensen Tv would lock up. We replaced it with a 32in. Samsung from Costco (they also extend the warranty to a 2 year in home). Just drilled some new holes in the old mounting plate to fit on the Samsung and it works great.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We have replaced ours with 32" Insignia brand from Best Buy...really good picture quality and it also has the signal meter. We also installed a 19" Insignia in the bedroom...they both work great, and the price can't be beat!
Insignia has been a darn good and reliable LCD from Best Buy. Plus it comes with a 2 year warranty, I think.

caokgafamily

I was looking at the 37" Vizeo to put in our 07 3400RL, from my measurements it will work. I'm trying to come up with some more of that disposable cash that was easier to make a couple of years ago.

Steve

JohnDar

I haven't gone out and measured the cabinet opening, but looking at some photos I have of it, with the TV still in it, a 32" might not work. May have to drop back to the 26" version. That and an extension arm that also tilts. That was the biggest problem with the original Jensen mount, no tilt mechanism. Unlike our plasma at home, LCD's don't like being viewed from much of an angle.

Could be advertising hype, but the Jensen's are supposedly made for RV's with a reinforced frame.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
With our rig being an 08 model, it came with the big what I call tube style tv's. I replaced the living room unit with a 27" Insignia and then upgraded again to a 32" Samsung. With the bigger tv, it no longer fits inside of the tv cabinet anymore so I have it mounted on a swing arm which is based inside the cabinet. Now I have some storage room behind the tv for more stuff (just what everyone needs). Don't have any problems traveling cuz I strapped it with the straps from the orginal tv and have a covered cutting board underneath to keep the tv from bouncing. We also replaced the bedroom tv with a 19" Toshiba. The 27" Insignia now is in the basement storage area.

caissiel

We had the Jensen 26in over the desk and I placed it in the bedroom. We have and old 32" that is now in the livingroom. The Jensen has no angle viewing possibilities the screen looks awfull when looking up at it. Its was installed over the desk and when I looked at it from the desk I could hardly see the picture. No problem with my old ILO it has a great angled viewing possibility.

I know we can't use Plasma TV's in an RV but anyone knows if LED's would be a problem. The price is getting very affordable for LED's

JohnDar

I haven't had the chance to look at one (LED type), but what I can see online is that they don't specify that they have the standard RCA style input jacks. They may, but just don't show it in the specs. Unless I replace the Samsung amplifier, I don't have HDMI outputs for the TV. Replacing the amplifier is way lower on my list of upgrade priorities. Now, if only those crooks had ripped that out...

Sitting under the Jensen at the desk, about all you could see was teeth and eyeballs. Everything else was blacked out. Having a tilt feature on the mount would make viewing from the recliners and sofa much better, though, since you're sitting below the screen and the angle causes the black-out effect on darker scenes.