The little engine that could?

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
It's a 3500 High Country 6.0 Flex-Fuel model- you can tell from the cab lights, the small exhaust. They strip the 3500/2500 badge when they put on the High Country badge. It will still show LT/LTZ on the tailgate. The best way to know it's a 3500 is the cab-lights. It would be an add-on for a 2500, stock for a 3500.
The attached picture is a Duramax, but the same truck comes in the 6.0 flex-fuel.
(I did lots of homework before I bought my truck. I couldn't decide what I wanted!)
View attachment 47522

AH! Carleen, thanks for solving this! In Texas, it's the Texas Edition badging, but probably the same concept. At least it's a 3500. But still may be pushing the tow limits of this 5ver -- looked it up, GVWR is 16790!! Keystone lists 2790 for pin weight.

Carleen

AH! Carleen, thanks for solving this! In Texas, it's the Texas Edition badging, but probably the same concept. At least it's a 3500. But still may be pushing the tow limits of this 5ver -- looked it up, GVWR is 16790!! Keystone lists 2790 for pin weight.

Of Course it's a Texas addition in Texas...! LOL I love it!

That is a lot of pin weight, but it's hard to know what his true weights are. I know ours is just about at the limit as a SRW, but we don't haul water and don't have it packed to the gills with stuff. We actually have more empty cabinets than full ones right now and also don't have a generator. It is a pretty truck though!

TravelTiger

And there it is. Nice Carleen, good job! It's a Chebby, I'm so shocked you all ever doubted it. LOL

Trust me, our GMC Duramax dually is a beast. Next to that standard bed SRW, his truck just looked way too small to be hauling a rig as large as that Montana looked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carleen

And there it is. Nice Carleen, good job! It's a Chebby, I'm so shocked you all ever doubted it. LOL

I grew up with Chebbies. Still love them despite driving my Ford. I love my Ford for all the same reasons too. I guess I just love trucks. It was terrible trying to decide on what to buy when upgrading to a diesel because I wanted one of each!

Carleen
2011 Ford F-350 6.7
2011 Big Horn 3585RL

Saw this next to us today.

Looks like a Chevy Silverado ???. Rig has paper plates. That is a front living floorplan Montana.

What I'm wondering is if they were sitting inside looking out the windows, wondering who this nut is lurking around photographing their rig from all angles :D :p

Bones

I think I should remove all of my badging and let you guys guess what I'm driving.

farside291

Are you sure that's what they are towing with? Maybe the big truck is in the shop or something and that's the DW follow truck. Many times I drive the 3500 home and leave the Volkswagen behind parked in front of the trailer. I wonder if people wonder how that VW pulls that big fifth wheel.

GregP

I've thought the same thing when we leave our Nissan parked in front of the trailer. I often thought it made a pretty funny picture.

TravelTiger

I know that's what they are pulling with, as the tailgate was down and could see the hitch.

And I was not obvious with my pic taking lol! I was in our truck when taking all but one, and that one I hid behind our pinbox. Lol! I'm a good stalker.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Lol! I'm a good stalker.

Oh Erika, if you were a professional stalker, you'd have one of those long telephoto lens that could have zoomed in on the door sticker and got all the numbers for us. You're still a rookie.

Carleen

So I looked up the numbers for that truck- they are under-trucked. They should have a diesel for that trailer! Max 5er towing at 13,900 lbs won't do.

Poor folks- they will figure it out soon enough I suppose. That is an EXPENSIVE mistake!
Capture.JPG

TravelTiger

So I looked up the numbers for that truck- they are under-trucked. They should have a diesel for that trailer! Max 5er towing at 13,900 lbs won't do.

Poor folks- they will figure it out soon enough I suppose. That is an EXPENSIVE mistake!
View attachment 47544

Oh Carleen, but the dry weight on the 5ver is 13200, surely they only have 699.9 lbs of stuff. It'll be fine.

Carleen

But I just looked up the specs on the trailer! OUCH! This is bad... I can't tell if they have the bigger one or not...but, loaded is 16,530, shipping weight is 12,945. You are absolutely right- they couldn't even bring paper plates with them. Forget the sheets! One pillow would be the only allowance. The GCWR is 21,100. Add the curb of 6866 plus the 12,945 for the trailer, you only have 1,289 to go. Take 200 (husband), 150 (wife), 75 (hitch), you only have 1004 to go. Filling the water tank would do you in. That poor truck will squat and pee transmission fluid all over itself. Such a shame!!! What are people thinking.

Carleen

It took me only 5 minutes and a calculator to figure out that truck just won't work. Most of you experienced folks took one look and said that just won't do. Why do people make this mistake all the time? It doesn't take much time to do the math to realize you are about to make a financially fatal and life-threatening mistake. I just shake my head. I help people purchase trailers and tow vehicles all the time. I always talk about the dirty stuff- the towing capacities and how to really make a solid decision based on your financial and physical limitations. If the truck came first, buy a smaller trailer. If the trailer came first, buy a darn truck that will handle it! Or, do what I did, just keep upgrading until your happy while flushing thousands down the toilet in trades.

TravelTiger

Trust. They were newbies. I'm sure when they asked will their 2016 3500 tow it, it was easy to say yes. We had a dealer tell us our v6 Toyota Tacoma would tow a 6900gvwr trailer. The numbers said NO WAY.

Isn't that normal??? LOL

You know.... it probably is in the RV world. I'm still a noob so I have no idea :D

I've been to the scales with my trailer and I'm right at max weight... and depending on the trip, even though I'm careful... I'd bet good money I've been over by 100 pounds a couple of times. I recently took out the rear seat (about 80 to 100 pounds) in my SUV to give me a little cushion... but I've always been right at max when I hit the scales. That's why I stay within 40 miles (no highway) of home for now.

I will be shopping for a new truck this year but I'm waiting until closer to year end for a better deal. I will say this though.... I pity the person that approaches me and challenges me on my tow vehicle, I just don't take kindly to unsolicited consultation :eek: :p

Carleen

You know.... it probably is in the RV world. I'm still a noob so I have no idea :D

I've been to the scales with my trailer and I'm right at max weight... and depending on the trip, even though I'm careful... I'd bet good money I've been over by 100 pounds a couple of times. I recently took out the rear seat (about 80 to 100 pounds) in my SUV to give me a little cushion... but I've always been right at max when I hit the scales. That's why I stay within 40 miles (no highway) of home for now.

I will be shopping for a new truck this year but I'm waiting until closer to year end for a better deal. I will say this though.... I pity the person that approaches me and challenges me on my tow vehicle, I just don't take kindly to unsolicited consultation :eek: :p

The difference for you is that you are aware of your situation. You have been to the scales, you are working the numbers, and you use precaution as to where you take your trailer. You are right to challenge anyone who criticizes your tow vehicle because you have knowledge. It is the above situation that is scary. When spending over $50k on a new truck and nearly $100k on a trailer- I would expect someone would do their homework.