thinking of buying a 2012 cyclone 3712

drmike

Hi,
I'm thinking of buying a cyclone 3712. I have a few concerns:

It's so big, I'm wondering how hard it will be to park it in most campgrounds/RV parks.

I heard that Thor bought Heartland and wondered how the customer service will be under Thor's ownership.

Although it is "new" (a left over 2012) there is rust on the frame.

Can I tow two jet skis behind it safely and without voiding the warranty?

danemayer

Hi drmike,

Long trailers don't fit in short sites so you have to check in advance on the length of the site. RVParkReviews.com provides helpful information on "big-rig" accessability. Most RV Park guides provide starting info on this subject.

As mentioned on your other thread, Thor invested in Heartland over 2 years ago and customer service is the same as before; great.

Heartland is now manufacturing 2014 models, so the one you're looking at may have been on the dealer lot for a while. You might want them to spiff it up before taking delivery.

The frame is warranted by Lippert so the question really goes to them when it comes to attaching heavy-duty receiver hitches to their frames. If you call Lippert to ask them your question, you probably won't like their answer; they're a bit squirrelly on the subject. Another thing to consider is that many states have combined length restrictions and multiple trailer limits that might prohibit towing your jet skis behind the toy hauler.

drmike

Thanks for the reply. In weighing the pros and cons, the size of this trailer is both...a pro and a con. We're thinking of trading in or selling our 2011 Lance 1181 truck camper, which has the most floor space of any truck camper we've ever seen, but on bad weather days it's not roomy enough to be trapped inside. Obviously not a problem in the cavernous interior of the cyclone.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
One other thing to consider. A 3712 is a heavy trailer and require's at least a 1tn dually to pull it safely. You might also check with your local DMV on what drivers license is required. In California, anything over 15001# GWR....you have to have a non-commerial CDL to be legal. Remember, use the GVW posted on the trailer, not the empty weight. That is what the county mounties look at.