Timbrens rubber Springs

tmcran

Don, not every one will agree on everything. 18-1 not bad odds. I looked around and for me the Timbrens just seemed a no brainer for me. The air bags also work well. I just could not deal with the cost and maintenance

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Well 18 posts and pretty much all agree that the Timbrens are the ticket, then comes the 19th. So I was all set to pull the trigger, now I'm not so sure, i've used the ride rite airbags with great success, but, they are expensive and a pain to install. Now I guess I'll have to do some soul searching and make a command decision.

Looks like the Firestone air bags just bolt on. check out this link. I have never had Timbrens but loved my Firestone air bags I have on my previous truck. I am going to buy the bags in the next week or two for this truck. Suspension Connection looks like the best price. Check out their link http://www.suspensionconnection.com...e/to=x/tf=model/to=x/tf=description/to=r.html

lwmcguir

We run air on all our trucks. In my opinion if you can afford to go that way it is the best of both worlds. The ability to level a truck/TV is invaluable. Nothing wrong with the Timbrens either, they just aren't as user friendly.

don46

Looks like the Firestone air bags just bolt on. check out this link. I have never had Timbrens but loved my Firestone air bags I have on my previous truck. I am going to buy the bags in the next week or two for this truck. Suspension Connection looks like the best price. Check out their link http://www.suspensionconnection.com...e/to=x/tf=model/to=x/tf=description/to=r.html

I had a 2008 ford that I installed the air bags, and while it isn't overwhelming to install, it's not like the pictures shown on the link. It was a pain which is why I was thinking about the Timbrens, ease of installation over the air bags was appealing. My truck actually sets level with the trailer on so thats not a problem, but when you hit a bump in the road it does bounce up and down some, maybe some new high quality gas shocks are in order. The truck is a 2011 F-350 SRW crew cab short box 4x4.

scotty

We run air on all our trucks. In my opinion if you can afford to go that way it is the best of both worlds. The ability to level a truck/TV is invaluable. Nothing wrong with the Timbrens either, they just aren't as user friendly.

Ditto, I think for those carrying a slide in camper or wanting the ability to level from one side or the other need the bags. Others, it's just a personal preference. Having had both, strictly to tow a 5er, my money would be on Timbrens.

don46

I don't understand what you mean by not user friendly? don't they replace the stock bumpers and only come into play when there is a load? having installed the airbags, the installation of these looks to be a cake walk.

Anyways thanks for all the great feedback, now where is the best place to pick these up?

lwmcguir

I don't understand what you mean by not user friendly? don't they replace the stock bumpers and only come into play when there is a load? having installed the airbags, the installation of these looks to be a cake walk.

Anyways thanks for all the great feedback, now where is the best place to pick these up?

Can you adust the height in the truck to level your coach?

lwmcguir

The air bags will give you a softer ride and better protection for your coach than the rubber springs. Rubber springs are good if you need the lift to level the TV/Coach. The frames are light due to the construction restrictions and you need to protect the coach from the pot holes. Air ride and air King pins are the best way. Throw in an Air hitch and you will really reduce the stress on your coach. If you only tow a few miles then this may be over kill.

KL7j

Well 18 posts and pretty much all agree that the Timbrens are the ticket, then comes the 19th. So I was all set to pull the trigger, now I'm not so sure, i've used the ride rite airbags with great success, but, they are expensive and a pain to install. Now I guess I'll have to do some soul searching and make a command decision.

I have had a number of pickups with Firestone Air Bags and also with Timbrens. They both were used with campers and also a Montana 5th (just ordered a Bighorn).
The air bags were a nuisance as air loss developed over time, sometimes faster than you think and maybe dirt and rough roads aggrevated that compression fitting they use. Same experience on two trucks and air bag maintenance, installed by different dealers. The expected life of the Air Bag according to one installing dealer was 5 years.

Regarding ride, they are required to have some air in them when unloaded, so there is still a rougher ride empty than with no air bags. In the colder climes where I live, the pressure unloaded has to be adjusted and the stiffness of the unloaded air bag in cold sure changes.

The Timbrens on severe bumps do bottom and are like hitting the overload on bumps. The air bags change the rebound on a bump too, there is more stiffness through out their entire motion empty so it is different.

So far:
2 trucks with air bags (2003 Duramax and 2008 Dodge that had one air bag fail and replaced under waranty, then I took them off and got Timbrens).
3 with Timbrens (2 of those were Dodges 2004 and 2008 w/Cummins).
All trucks have RV'd over the Alaska highway many times, so they all got a work out.

When I pick up the new BH 3055, using a F350 SRW and if it is not level, I prefer Timbrens.
I dislike the filling (exact poundage is not always easy and changes with temperatures, leaking, cold stiffness and plumbing.

Timbrens are very easy to install and not quite as much cost as air bags, but the little difference in cost should not be the deciding factor. Each to their own and lots of opinions and configurations.

Just no maintenance and when empty, ride return to normal so for me after using both on a couple of trucks, Timbrens get my vote.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Installed the Timbrens before our 2600 mile trip last week. WOW, what a difference in the ride from stock.

lwmcguir

I have had a number of pickups with Firestone Air Bags and also with Timbrens. They both were used with campers and also a Montana 5th (just ordered a Bighorn).
The air bags were a nuisance as air loss developed over time, sometimes faster than you think and maybe dirt and rough roads aggrevated that compression fitting they use. Same experience on two trucks and air bag maintenance, installed by different dealers. The expected life of the Air Bag according to one installing dealer was 5 years.

Regarding ride, they are required to have some air in them when unloaded, so there is still a rougher ride empty than with no air bags. In the colder climes where I live, the pressure unloaded has to be adjusted and the stiffness of the unloaded air bag in cold sure changes.

Certainly understand where you are coming from.

The Timbrens on severe bumps do bottom and are like hitting the overload on bumps. The air bags change the rebound on a bump too, there is more stiffness through out their entire motion empty so it is different.

So far:
2 trucks with air bags (2003 Duramax and 2008 Dodge that had one air bag fail and replaced under waranty, then I took them off and got Timbrens).
3 with Timbrens (2 of those were Dodges 2004 and 2008 w/Cummins).
All trucks have RV'd over the Alaska highway many times, so they all got a work out.

When I pick up the new BH 3055, using a F350 SRW and if it is not level, I prefer Timbrens.
I dislike the filling (exact poundage is not always easy and changes with temperatures, leaking, cold stiffness and plumbing.

Timbrens are very easy to install and not quite as much cost as air bags, but the little difference in cost should not be the deciding factor. Each to their own and lots of opinions and configurations.

Just no maintenance and when empty, ride return to normal so for me after using both on a couple of trucks, Timbrens get my vote.

We will never go back to Timbrens or any others like them. Been there and done that. We have run air bags since they came out many years ago. Part of the reason to explore more options was the ranch roads wash out and are rough until we grad them. The rubber bumper type and we tried Timbrens as well, gave us a few headaches before we started wearing belts all the time. The air bags adsorb the heavier shocks better.

I realize the Timbrens will work perfectly well on the majority of the roads out there.

I like the flexibility and the greatly improved ride using air. Same reason the upper end SUV's also have air ride.

We pull a lot of different trailers and so:

The ability of setting the pressure in the cab and having it maintained to level out the various trailers cant be done without air bags. Same reason all the large trucks run them.

If you only pull one trailer then I can see where you can get by using the cheaper option. We benefit from the 7 pounds we run in the bags unloaded as it saves the shocks and the ride is great.

Anyone that has air bags usually install the frame mounted compressor and the pressure controller in the cab. Then it takes care of itself unless you do need to replace a component.

Certainly my op ion and I respect yours.

jcarnevale

The jury is still out and I'm still on the fence. I'm not sold on the Timbren's. Do they only come in one durometer? One hardness fits all? Seems like they could offer an application specific durometer. I do like the "install it and forget it" low maintenance. As for airbags,.....Air-Ride.....Firestone.....Helwig......Ugh ! I'm paralyzed !

jmgratz

Just ordered Firestone air bags. Should be here Wednesday. Going to attempt to put them on myself. Should not be that difficult. Then am going to save up and get the remote control inflation system. Until then I will just inflate manually.

lwmcguir

We have some manual systems on the older trucks and apparently good tight connections and bags. They are several years old and will hold air pressure for months. So the manual mode works well and you will love being able to inflate and level the truck right where you want it.

jmgratz

I installed the Firestone Air Bags today. Not a hard job at all. Believe me if I can do it anyone can. Saved the $400 labor too. It did raise the back of the truck up when I tested the bags for leaks. I have not hooked up the the RV yet or towed with it but if it does like my last truck I will be happy. Got them from Suspension Connection via the internet.