Tire Changing

We have a Siverado, and was wondering how people jack it up to change a tire. I have a small floor jack, but it is no where near lifting the axle. It is only a 4K pound jack. was thinking of a 12 ton air jack since I carry a small compressor with us.

brianharrison

That would be good. It is recommended to lift on the frame of the trailer, not the thin axle tube.

I carry a 20 ton bottle jack.

Brian

Jim.Allison

It does not take much effort to lift the wheel and axle. It takes an enormous amount of effort to lift the rig. A common bottle jack with a cradle will safely lift at the axle, and any bottle jack will lift at the spring with little effort.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
This is how we did it. Using two 12 ton bottle jacks, on the frame. Lift together. Note, coach is hitched to truck!! Do not attempt without being hitched. Lippert specifically states do not lift rig on axle tube, and recommends lifting on the frame.

779b27718b20ff6789a6957e11999f0f.jpg
882b1083b71cd3ce63ed6ce9ba765bad.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scottyb

I lift mine by placing the jack under the U-bolt, one tire at a time. Been lifting trailers like that my whole life. Never had a problem.

Miller0758

I recently lost a tire on the road and used the jack that came with my truck to raise the trailer. What I didn't have was a lug wrench that fit. I now have a 4 way lug wrench and torque wrench on the rig. Camping world sells a ramp contraption that you just back or pull onto and it lifts the other wheel. Looks easier and safer than a Jack and interested to see if others have used. http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/trailer-aid/10867

porthole

Retired
Lippert is correct stating not to lift on the tube. But that is too vague and most likely refers to the center of the tube.

Make a cradle and lift at the u-bolts. There are several references in the site regarding cradles.

Lifting as pictured here can be dangerous. Too high a lift is required to get the tires off the ground with too small a jack.

This is how we did it. Using two 12 ton bottle jacks, on the frame. Lift together. Note, coach is hitched to truck!! Do not attempt without being hitched. Lippert specifically states do not lift rig on axle tube, and recommends lifting on the frame.

779b27718b20ff6789a6957e11999f0f.jpg
882b1083b71cd3ce63ed6ce9ba765bad.jpg

Last edited:

rxbristol

It does not take much effort to lift the wheel and axle. It takes an enormous amount of effort to lift the rig. A common bottle jack with a cradle will safely lift at the axle, and any bottle jack will lift at the spring with little effort.

Jim, which brand/type of cradle to you recommend? I saw one on the internet (Swag), but it needs to be welded to the bottle jack.

Jim.Allison

Really it does not take much, you can probably just use a screw type bottle jack out of a truck. Many of those have a cradle on top, I changed a blowmax using the one out of my Ram truck. They are cheap and easily had at a junk yard, we have a franchise called pick and pull perhaps you do too. Northern tool is a possible source for a cradle for a bottle jack but anything you can get that will distribute the load around the radius of the axle tube will work. But honestly, lifting the axle assembly on one side is not enough pressure to damage the axle tube. But I see why you are uncomfortable with it, I would hate to screw up my axle tube and I would equally hate to put you in a position of screwing up yours by what I say her. I am 100% comfortable in placing the jack under the spring mount, as the actual axle is in that tube at that location. Even then a small piece of lumber could work there. The absolute easiest thing is to make a ramp from wood blocks and drive the front axle up on it, leaving the back axle in the air.

It may be true that heartland says lift by the frame, but why would I torque my frame all to pieces when it only take an amount equal to the tire load to lift the axle? It seems odd to me that Heartland would say lift the frame. I do not remember that from my owners manual.

Jim, which brand/type of cradle to you recommend? I saw one on the internet (Swag), but it needs to be welded to the bottle jack.

Jim.Allison

Ditto
I recently lost a tire on the road and used the jack that came with my truck to raise the trailer. What I didn't have was a lug wrench that fit. I now have a 4 way lug wrench and torque wrench on the rig. Camping world sells a ramp contraption that you just back or pull onto and it lifts the other wheel. Looks easier and safer than a Jack and interested to see if others have used. http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/trailer-aid/10867

Jim.Allison

Ditto, I used this technique to install my G114. I tried to do it when I lost the blowmax, but I was not experienced with the system and I was on a roadside grade and was unsuccessful. However I think I read not to do this but even if it is something that is prohibited by the owners manual, it escapes me as to why you can not do it.
I used my Lippert hydraulic leveling jacks.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I've used my Ground Control jacks to lift one side, then place a bottle jack under the axle, under the spring mount, to lift the tire off the ground. For extended work, I place 6000lb jack stands under the frame, for added protection.

Birchwood

When I change a tire or look at a bearing I jack under the U bolt and lift the wheel enough to do the job.As far as lifting the entire rear side of a Landmark ...good luck!

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Don't lift my the light weight frame!.... very very dangerous.
You only have to lift the wheel 1 1/2" by the axle with a v-groove angle iron jack insert. (very safe)

Send me your jack (or just the screw head) and I'll weld it for free.

This is a 4 ton jack...8000# is twice needed. No need to carry a 20 ton jack around unless you want to use it as a boat anchor.

Attachments

• IMG_0248.JPG
    IMG_0248.JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:

danemayer

Lippert makes the frame and on some trailers, also the axles and suspension.
Lippert says in part:

Jack up the frame, not the axle.

Dexter makes the axles and suspension on many trailers.
Dexter says in part:

Dexter recommends that you do not jack up the trailer on the suspension components because there is always the potential for damage. Bent hangers, leaf springs, or axle tubes can cause bad axle alignment with bad tire wear resulting. Also, many trailer builders do not use Dexter hangers and we have no idea how strong these hangers may or may not be. Therefore, we take the conservative approach and recommend jacking up only on the trailer frame.

The Heartland Trailer Manual says in part:

- Position a hydraulic jack on the frame close to the spring hanger.
- Raise the trailer until the tire clears the ground.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Lifting as pictured here can be dangerous. Too high a lift is required to get the tires off the ground with too small a jack.

Wait, I'm confused by the statement --- how are two 12 ton jacks "too small" on a trailer weighing less than 13k, hitched to the truck?? This was very safe, safer than a single jack. The lift looks sightly exaggerated because the parking lot sloped slightly away. I have seen jacking on the axle, and it seems far more dangerous.

Btw, we also now have the Titan Ground Control system, and use that to jack the frame. We also put the bottle jack under the frame for back-up.

Any time you're jacking something so heavy, you gotta be safe.

Jim.Allison

I like that angle iron setup, has good support spread out over large area. His axle tube is probably 3/16 or close to it. This is exactly what he needs if he prefers a bottle jack of some sort.

Don't lift my the light weight frame!.... very very dangerous.
You only have to lift the wheel 1 1/2" by the axle with a v-groove angle iron jack insert. (very safe)

Send me your jack and I'll weld it for free.