Tire Pressure Monitors

TX_Clay

Placed an order today for the TST 507 RV non flow through system from Great RV Products (No shipping and no Tax made it the best deal. FYI They are on backorder). After experiencing a couple of tire failures on our old TH and saw what kind of damage that did. Figure it is pretty cheap insurance along with the new tires I bought to replace the TowMax tires. Changing tires on the side of a busy Interstate highway is not my idea of fun.

Received an email yesterday saying that my TST 507RV had shipped priority mail and should have them by the end of the week.

TX_Clay

Kit arrived yesterday in the mail. Looking forward to playing with them and seeing how well they work.

Mullins

:cool:Question regarding the TST507. I have read a lot about TST507, how to install it, how to calibrate it. Read reviews; most are positive about it, some can't survive with out it. Here is what I know about it: you can set under and over PSI thresholds, and set a temperature threshold. I know that my, Yes, the lousy Towmaxx Power King tires hold 80 PSI cold; what I don't know is the max temp of the tire before it goes south on me. I spoke with a local tire shop that sells the towmaxx, nothing in the tech sheet that talks about the temp, nor does it say anything about the speed rating(another story).. I also spoke with a seller of the TST507, they knew nothing either. So for me to set the temp on the TST507, i need to know what the temp is. is there anybody on this thread know what temp of a st235 80 r16 towmaxx is and where you got the info?:cool:

danemayer

:cool:Question regarding the TST507. I have read a lot about TST507, how to install it, how to calibrate it. Read reviews; most are positive about it, some can't survive with out it. Here is what I know about it: you can set under and over PSI thresholds, and set a temperature threshold. I know that my, Yes, the lousy Towmaxx Power King tires hold 80 PSI cold; what I don't know is the max temp of the tire before it goes south on me. I spoke with a local tire shop that sells the towmaxx, nothing in the tech sheet that talks about the temp, nor does it say anything about the speed rating(another story).. I also spoke with a seller of the TST507, they knew nothing either. So for me to set the temp on the TST507, i need to know what the temp is. is there anybody on this thread know what temp of a st235 80 r16 towmaxx is and where you got the info?:cool:

This post at RV Tire Safety might help. I can't find it, but I seem to remember reading a post that tire fiber internal damage starts to occur around 190 (F).

I'd set the temp alarm at 135 and try it out. If you get alarms, increase it to 140.

You should also consider whether to buy tires that will provide you with additional margin against failure.

avvidclif

I don't remember where the alarms are set for temperature on the 507 system. I think in the 135-150 range. The highest I have seen is abt 120 deg when the outside temperature is over 100. I've seen pressure in the 90's at the same time, starting at 80 in the AM.

WBG

WBGavin
This post at RV Tire Safety might help. I can't find it, but I seem to remember reading a post that tire fiber internal damage starts to occur around 190 (F).

I'd set the temp alarm at 135 and try it out. If you get alarms, increase it to 140.

You should also consider whether to buy tires that will provide you with additional margin against failure.

Dan,

Thanks for the RV Tire Safety Post. That was most informative. Did not even know that such a site existed.

WBG

porthole

Retired
I don't remember where the alarms are set for temperature on the 507 system. I think in the 135-150 range. The highest I have seen is abt 120 deg when the outside temperature is over 100. I've seen pressure in the 90's at the same time, starting at 80 in the AM.

With G-114's on a toy hauler I have seen pressure go as high as 140 on hot days with a 115 cold pressure. Goodyear says that is normal, so my alarm is set at 145 psi.

Of note, we lost a tire on the way to Myrtle Beach, as far as I know the first G-114 to explode.
No warning, I heard a thump which at first I though was the concrete expansion joint, but the tire monitor started going off right about the same time.

Thump + TST alarm = look in the mirror in time to see shrapnel, from the tire and trailer trim.

The odd thing, which I have not discussed yet with TST, is that the monitor continued to alarm and show a pressure of 69 PSI. That was on a wheel that only had two sidewalls left of the tire. 69 stayed on the screen until I put the sensor on the spare.

Chippendale

I have just purchased a new Ford F350 DRW and would like to put some TST Flow throughs and valve stem extenders on it. Also plan on putting the TSTs on my Gateway 3300ML. I know where to get the TSTs, but am not sure what valve extenders will work the best with the TSTs on the truck and where to get them. Any recommendations out there?

Thanks,
George

WBG

WBGavin
I have just purchased a new Ford F350 DRW and would like to put some TST Flow throughs and valve stem extenders on it. Also plan on putting the TSTs on my Gateway 3300ML. I know where to get the TSTs, but am not sure what valve extenders will work the best with the TSTs on the truck and where to get them. Any recommendations out there?

Thanks,
George

George,

When my BlowMax tires failed, Les Schwab replaced the stems with chrome plated steel ones. They seem to work just fine. I do not have a mfg. name or any specs.

WBG

Chippendale

George,

When my BlowMax tires failed, Les Schwab replaced the stems with chrome plated steel ones. They seem to work just fine. I do not have a mfg. name or any specs.

WBG

I guess I didn't make myself clear. I am for sure going to put the TST monitors on the trailer, what I was also wanting to do is to put them on the dually too, and it might prove somewhat of a problem to get them on the 4 rear tires without valve stem extensions. I figured someone had already put the flow through monitors on their dually tires, and would tell me what brand stem extensions they used and if they worked with the flow through monitors. This would steer me in the correct direction in purchasing them. Discount Tire has already told me they will install the stem extensions for me, I just have to purchase some and take them in to be installed.

After talking to a guy this afternoon, I have just about decided to forget about the truck and depend on the factory tire monitoring system that Ford included in the truck and focus on the trailer. What I like about the TST system is that it tells you which tire is low and the truck's system does not. I will still need the valve stem extenders for the dually's rear wheels.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
I guess I didn't make myself clear. I am for sure going to put the TST monitors on the trailer, what I was also wanting to do is to put them on the dually too, and it might prove somewhat of a problem to get them on the 4 rear tires without valve stem extensions. I figured someone had already put the flow through monitors on their dually tires, and would tell me what brand stem extensions they used and if they worked with the flow through monitors. This would steer me in the correct direction in purchasing them. Discount Tire has already told me they will install the stem extensions for me, I just have to purchase some and take them in to be installed.

After talking to a guy this afternoon, I have just about decided to forget about the truck and depend on the factory tire monitoring system that Ford included in the truck and focus on the trailer. What I like about the TST system is that it tells you which tire is low and the truck's system does not. I will still need the valve stem extenders for the dually's rear wheels.

I tried to put the flow throughs on my 2012 F350 DRW but they wouldn't work or fit with the Dually rims. I put the non flow throughs on my truck.

Rod

porthole

Retired
factory tire monitoring system that Ford included in the truck and focus on the trailer.

Your 15 DRW now has tire monitoring included?
If so, that is new for 2015.

The regular screw on TST sensors work well for the dually's if you can get you hand though one of the holes. The trick is to line up the valve stems opposite each other. Be aware though, because of the wheel layout, the holes and valve stems will not line up perfectly 180 degrees out. But it is very workable.

Chippendale

Your 15 DRW now has tire monitoring included?
If so, that is new for 2015.

I assume it does, have not had a low tire yet to see if an icon lights up on the dash, but page 19 of the "2015 Quick Reference Guide" says I have it and it doesn't have an "*" by it indicating "*If Equipped". Based on this, I think I am going to for now at least, forget about monitors for the truck and only put them on the trailer.

porthole

Retired
I assume it does, have not had a low tire yet to see if an icon lights up on the dash, but page 19 of the "2015 Quick Reference Guide" says I have it and it doesn't have an "*" by it indicating "*If Equipped". Based on this, I think I am going to for now at least, forget about monitors for the truck and only put them on the trailer.

Then unless something has changed, you do not have the monitors. over 10K or DRW's are exempt from the DOT requirement.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Just a FYI. I ordered a 20 pack of replacement batteries off of Amazon.
Eunicell brand.
$6.44 free shipping.
Code date- March of 2019

Ii thought that wasn't to bad of a price.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Rated 11k maybe but doesn't weigh that much. My 2012 Ford Dually weighs 9120.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have 2015 chevy 3500hd drw the book that came with the rig states that there are tpms/sensors after reading further found out that only the single rear wheel pickups have them, seems the books for chevs are generic