Tire Upgrade??

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
If you have the E rated rims then putting a G rated tire on them would be a problem. The Michelin E rated tires would be a great fit. I would still suggest you get your rig weight by an outfit that could give you the weight for each individual tire. If you are going to the Heartland Rally in Goshen you should be able to get it done there.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Jim, I have E rated tires on my rig, but according to the rims it can take G rated and the G614's. One way or the other I am sure either will work out fine.
Thanks for all the advice. Still on the fence. LOL Wonder how long those Mission Tires will really last. Who knows? Sounds like a crap shoot.

Dave

Traveling Two
Tires

Tires are always an issue. I was convinced that Michelin XPS RIB was the campers choice for tires but on this post it appears Goodyear has won out! What's a tire shopper to do??!! I would like to replace the OEM Mission tires on my Sundance with EITHER Goodyear or Michelin but now I'm not sure which brand to purchase. To make matter more difficult, I want to replace the tires on the TV at the same time. So what is it, Goodyear or Michelins and how did you decide?
Thanks for your valuable input, be safe!!

Dave and Dorene
The Traveling Two

jmgratz

Tires are always an issue. I was convinced that Michelin XPS RIB was the campers choice for tires but on this post it appears Goodyear has won out! What's a tire shopper to do??!! I would like to replace the OEM Mission tires on my Sundance with EITHER Goodyear or Michelin but now I'm not sure which brand to purchase. To make matter more difficult, I want to replace the tires on the TV at the same time. So what is it, Goodyear or Michelins and how did you decide?

Dave and Dorene
The Traveling Two

I think the confusion is in the tire rating. Michelin does not make a G rated tire and Goodyear does. So if you get a G rated tire the consensus is the Goodyear 614 (made in America). If you have an E rated rim go with the Michelin XPS RIB. I have Michelins on my TV and Goodyear on the rig.

jbeletti

Hi Dave,

I can't tell you which one is best for you but here is some information on them both:

Michelin - XPS Ribs
LT215/85R16/E
LT225/75R16/E
LT235/85R16/E
LT245/75R16/E
Link: http://www.michelinman.com/tires/light-truck/xps-rib/

Goodyear - G614RST
LT235/85R16/G
Link: http://www.goodyear.com/rv/products/g614rst.html

Only thing I can tell you is if you are considering the Goodyear G614RST, they are load range G tires, which means you must use load range G wheels. So make sure your wheels are stamped LR G or Load Range G or a weight that matches LR G rims.

Best of luck to you on your choice.

Jim

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist

Dave and Dorene
The Traveling Two

The biggest thing to consider is the tire clearance in the wheelwell. The Goodyears are substantially larger than the Michellins.

Withe the close clearance pictures that some owners have posted here...I'd be looking more at the Michellin simply to insure adequate clearance all the way around.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I think the confusion is in the tire rating. Michelin does not make a G rated tire and Goodyear does. So if you get a G rated tire the consensus is the Goodyear 614 (made in America). If you have an E rated rim go with the Michelin XPS RIB. I have Michelins on my TV and Goodyear on the rig.

I second this...having used both tires, the load range required should be the deciding factor.

We also have Michelin on the truck, however they are 19.5" tires, and Goodyear on the trailer, as it requires G load range. As I stated earlier, if we could use E load on the trailer we would use the Michelin XPS Rib...Michelin has been our tire of choice for many years...never have had a tire failure on them.

ct0218

Actually, in 235-85R16, the Michelin E rated has a diameter of 32 inches, and the Goodyear G rated is 30.7 inches--so the Michelin is larger by a total of 1.3 inches, or .65 inches from the axle. If you can't use the Michelin because of the closeness of the tires, then your axles are very close (too close) together. Realistically, they are the same size, and the only difference is the load rating. Michelin makes a very good tire, and if you could get by with an E rated tire, that would be the one. If you're heavy, then it is the Goodyear. The answer is simple, and based entirely on your weight.

Larryheadhunter

OK the Heartland RV experts have chosen the tire leaders as the E rated Michelin XPS Rib, and the G rated Goodyear GSR614's. Then JimBo mentions that the wheels must be stamped LR G or Load Range G or a weight that matches LR G rims in order for one to use G rated tires.
My rig also said 3750 lbs. right accross from the G which was stamped on, which I would like to really know what that weight measure means, although I know it's about the axles? Now I have 6,000 lb. axles, and empty my rig is 11,800 lbs. and the CGWR is 14,800 lbs. So I have the option of either a G rated or E rated tire. I have 16" aluminum rims. It's really wierd and hard to decide which way to go. Every post I have read so far tells me to go with either one, depending on preference which I have none as RVing and using a heavy duty truck are new to me with only 1 year of experience. I have the dreaded E rated Mission Tires bombs from China now that were on the rig when purchased, and they have been fine for 10,000 miles, knock on wood. But my intuition tells me not to test my luck on the long road trip this summer.
Every single tire dealer tells me I should not go with the G rated for my 2009 BH 3400RE even though it is equipped to handle it because of the rough ride really shakes up the insides and is super expensive. Others savvy RVers tell me its overkill and to go with the Michelin XPS ribs, even though they are E rated. But certain RVers I know and respect, mostly Heartland owners swear that the G rated Goodyears are the answer without hesitation, that the bottom line is if your rig can fit the specs for a G rated tire, then thats the way to go.
Knowing my specs, before I buy, I would appreciate some specific answers, because all the above posts seem confusing to me considering I could go either way. If you were in my shoes, which tire which you ultimately install? I don't have a generator and have only been staying in campgrounds with hookups, but the DW and I go out for long periods of time, so this is a huge purchase for us. Thanks in advance. You can PM me or answer in this forum, but I am listening closely to you folks, who have helped me out several times already. I am now ready to tally up the votes.

Last edited:

jmgratz

Larry,
Here is my specific answer. You have a G rated rim, you need a G rated tire. I know what everyone says but have you weighed your rig and do you know how much weight is on each tire? I have and I have 3650 on each tire. I know my rig is heavier but the 3750 on the rim is the maximum weight the wheel is designed to handle. If you have a G rated tire the maximum inflation is 110 pounds. An E rated is 80 pounds. There is a chart on the Goodyear website or you can get the RV booklet from a Goodyear dealer which lists the tire inflation according to your weight on the tire. So if you are using a G rated tire at (as in my case) max or close to max weight you need 110 psi. If you have less weight you can decrease your inflation which will give a softer ride. The key to this whole picture is knowing what your weight is on each wheel. Again a company like Weight It does that type of weight and they usually charge $45.00 for that. If you go to a Rally (I think they will be at Goshen) where they are I would strongly recommend you get weighed. I hope this clears it up some. Also if you can go to a reputable tire dealer, preferably some independent dealer who really knows tires, they can explain the weight and inflation ratio and may (should) even have a chart. Check it out.

Larryheadhunter

Jimbo asked me to add this to my above post that gives my truck and Bighorn weights. I did this at the last Las Vegas Rally and is as follows:
Without rig:
steer axle: 4840 lb
drive axle: 3700 lb
trailer axle: 0
gross weight: 8540 lb

With rig hitched up:
steer axle: 4760 lbs
drive axle: 6440 lbs
trailer axle: 10,680 lbs
gross weight: 21,880 lbs.

My rigs empty weight is 11,800 lbs
CGWR is 14,800 lbs.

So if this helps the experts assist me in deciding whether to go with the Michelin XPS E rated tires, or the G rated Goodyear GSR 614's, thanks in advance. This now gives the weight distribution as requested.

As you can see, the front axle of the truck appears to weigh 80 lbs less when I am hooked up. Anyone who has any ideas on the subject let me know as well if that makes a difference.
Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

fpratt

Tire upgrade

I just ordered a 2010 3600 RL and asked for a tire upgrade within the deal. I asked for Goodyear or Mitch tire. That was not a problem to do and it did not cost me any more; perhaps it did the dealership. I made this part of my deal following reading of these forums. floyd;)

Larryheadhunter

I guess its a tough call between the 2 different sets of tires to decide once you have all the info. Based on the weights I posted, does anyone know what my hitch pin weight is? So Jon, if I have 1500lbs. to play with the XPS tires, should that be the deciding factor whether to get the Mitchelin XPS E rated, or for safety go for the Goodyear G rated 614's. Still having a difficult time deciding. Our summer trip planned is up to 50 days. Wow! I hope we don't get lost in the wilderness.

jnbhobe

Ok Larry, Are you ready for me to confuse you some more?? First off your pin weight is 2660 lbs. If you have 17" wheels on your truck your rear tire capacity is over weight by 50 lbs. and your truck is over the 10,000 lb GVW by 1200 lbs. Since you don't have individual wheel weights for the trailer that 1500 lbs could be close. Each XP Rib tire has a capacity of 3042 lbs @80 lbs. Thats 12,168 lbs total trailer axel capacity. The G-614 s have a capacity of 3750 lbs @ 110lbs thats 15000 lbs total axel capacity and leaves you 4320lbs to play with. If it was mine and $$$ wasn't a factor I'd have the Goodyears ( which I Do have) :confused: CONFUSED NOW !! :confused: Me too almost :D:D JON;);)

Larryheadhunter

Thank you John,
We have 18" wheels on our truck tires and 16" aluminum wheels on our BH. Talking about confusing? LOL Does that change anything? Now you have mentioned to buy both. What am I to do?

Forrest Fetherolf

Larry H,

After reviewing your axle weight when we weighed your rig at the Vegas Rally, I recommend you go with the 614 because they have a higher weight rating than the XPS and are 14 ply rated. I could not find the ply rating for the XPS but suspect they are not more than 10 ply rated. The 614 will not stiffen the ride enough to effect the truck ride and your back issues.

C-U in Vegas next week for that dinner you owe me........:)

Forrest

jnbhobe

Larry, Its me again with more confusing facts. 18" wheels 275-70-R 18 LR-E TIRES are 3640 lbs @80 lbs Thats 7280 lbs rear axel tire capacity so your rear axel wouldn't be overloaded. Michelin XPS RIB 235-85-R16 -LR-E are 3042lbs @80lbs.Forrest is exactly right about the ride you'll never know the difference in the ride. You'll also have a lot of extra capacity. Spring for the good ones you won't be sorry. JON ;) :D ;) :D

Forrest Fetherolf

Larry,

As I think back when we weighed your rig, Deb was in the passenger seat when weighed hooked up, when weighing truck alone Deb was not in the truck and I stood on the scales in front of the truck. This is why the truck front axle lightened up when weighed hooked up.........my 190 lbs was only on the front axle scales and when Deb was in the truck her 1?? lbs was split between the front axle scales and rear axle scales.
Simple huh.........:confused::confused::confused:

Forrest

Larryheadhunter

yes forrest u r correct, but outa your mind if i need to tell u how much DW weighs. Take a guess. But it happened as u said.
So now that we have that info confirmed, what does that tell us? Do I still get the G rated Goodyear 614's , or the XPS Michelin E rated? Did anything change in your mind with that revelation? LOL And are you trying to get me beaten by the wife? If u call me I will give approximates and deny I said anything to u if it helps at all. LOL And why do all the tire places tell me the G rated will rattle everything in the rig much more than the E rated. Is it overkill? 14 ply vs. 10 ply, but the CGWR is 14,800 lbs. And now what is our hitch pin weight and is it OK?