Tire Wear on Landmark

Birchwood

Thought I may escape this issue where I own a high end Landmark.Guess its all
part of the RV experience.The right rear tire is wearing on the inside after a
couple trips from the north to south of North America.Should this be a concern to
me or should I just suck it up and replace the 614 G rated tire and continue on?

DMitch

Birchwood, I would check the wheel bearing on that one wheel first. I had the same problem on my fifth wheel and after jumping thru all kinds of hoops I took it to a good trailer shop that has alignment equipment. The trailer was out of alignmjent. If I had to guess I think you might find this to be the case. Haven't had a tire wear problem since. The price of those Goodyear 614's makes the alignment look reasonable. Good luck with it.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Birchwood,

Sorry you are having this problem.

There are many tire threads on this forum explaining the possible problems that may cause this, but here's a quick list (in no particular order):
1. frame mis-alignment during fabrication
2. camber issues from overloading the axles/springs
4. bent axle (causing misalignment)
5. bad tire (belts may be broken inside)
6. unbalanced tires
7. wheel bearing problems

IMHO, I would not replace the tires without looking into these issues. Otherwise, you'll just quickly tear up some really expensive tires. Can you put the spare on and have a good tire shop look at the worn tire? This may be the first step.

Others may chime in here as well... I'm no expert, but I read the forum a lot and we have dealt with this issue this year. :(

E

caissiel

On our previous trailer I had rear tire wear on one side only.
I did an alignment check and the front axle was out of line by 3/8".

This was caused by the front axle spring supports out of alignment on the frame, that I had to relocate on one side.

If the front axle don't track it will not necessarely wear the front tire, the rear tires always try to follow the front was my experience. So both axle alignment should be looked at and doesn't rule out the front causing the wear. My rear axle was tracking perfectly at the time but wearing rear tires tires.

1. Check the axle distances from each other on both sides, if there is a difference, then you need to check the distance from the pin for both axles on both sides.

lwmcguir

Both above post are right on the money. Most likely you have a bent axle however as you noted you have made a significant investment. Upgrade to 8K axles if you plan on keeping the coach, otherwise start down the list.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Have you checked the "U" bolts on the axles?? Maybe one side is loose and the axle has slid back. Somewhere it is stated that you need to check the "U" bolt nuts for loosness and re-torque to 65 ft lbs. Just a thought

GOTTOYS

My guess is it's an alignment problem like most tire wear issues are. May have bumped a curb or who know what? With all the weight on these axles it doesn't take much to bend one enough to have an alignment problem. Bring it to a heavy-duty truck/trailer facility and have it checked. Most RV shops are not equipped to deal with this...Don

caissiel

Happened to my new unit, the center bolt was sheard and the rear axle was push back by 3/4" on one side while all the U-Bolts for all springs were loose. It happened on our first long trip and never caused any wear to the rear tires though. I was lucky to find it before to much time.

That's why I alway keep reading these post and learn everything on our units. So far every problem stated on these post, I had to address on our unit. It has been Preventive Maintenance and required on all my previous units also.

right now I am mouse proofing our unit.

Birchwood

Thanks to everyone for all the information.I did have the tire checked for balancing and
boken belts and everything is fine..Checked with a sping specialty company and they say last
season they adjusted and replaced 40 trailer axles.Their story is that a poor steel was used
by many axle suppliers over the last few years and the problem will not soon dissappear.
They say bent axles are becoming so common that something is dreadfully wrong.
They suggest even upgrades to 8000 lb axles have resulted in more tire wear because
of the weak steel.
Suggestion is to rotate and flip tires ocassionally and ride it out.This may seem quite
bizarre to some people but someting is causing these many many axle complaints.
Not everyone it strking curbs !