To grease or not to Grease?

BusManRG

Do most of you grease your pin regularly? And if so which grease are you using? What's the grease of choice?

Sandy

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I do put some grease on my pin. Don't know if it's regular or not, but I do it when it needs it.
I use the same grease that I use for everything else including disc brake bearings and wet bolts. Mystic JT-6 High-Temp Grease #2.

Peace
Dave

porthole

Retired
I use one of the several varieties of lube plates

Have never greased the pin in 7 years, but occasionally spray the pin with dry graphite spray I have leftover from my Superglide hitch.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I have a small can/tub of axle grease that I keep in the basement of the Prowler and I usually get a little bit on a piece of paper towel and smear a fine coating of grease on the pin before we leave on a trip.

I'll also wipe a little bit on the jaws of the hitch as well.

wdk450

I have one of the Never Fail 5th wheel disks. Same plastic stuff as the Never Fail suspension Bushings. I had started to hear noises when turning from my hitch area even with the plate in place, and not obviously damaged. I had some spray lithium grease in my supplies, so I now spray the hitch plate with that before hooking up. Hitch turning noises are now gone.

Diamondjim

I too use a lube plate without much to worry about. Have a bed cover when not towing. Works great for me.:)

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I'm pretty sure the OP is asking about greasing the pin.
Not sure if the plate was mentioned.
Perhaps he can clarify.

Peace
Dave

I grease the pin & the hitch jaw.
Having spent 40+ years in maintenance I've seen the destruction lack of lubrication can cause.
I have a 12" lube plate, that I remove and clean both sides of.
While the plate is off, I clean the Steel above the pin & the pin itself.
I spray Silicone Lube on the Steel above the pin, reinstall the Lube Plate & grease the pin.
I have the Ford (Reese) underbed puck hitch system, so the hitch comes out quickly.
The hitch is a Reese Signature Series, now I believe it's called the Elite Series.
I remove the head, clean & grease the underside of the head, pull the base, clean the pucks & the base & Lubricate everything and reinstall.
I also spray Silicone on the head of the 5th wheel hitch.
Takes about 1/2 hr to do everything.
I grease the pin & jaws as needed in between pulling hitch.
Grease is cheap insurance against catastrophic failure.
When in doubt, grease.
While you walk around an RV park, observe the conditions of the hitches on other RV's & tow vehicles.
You will be amazed by the (LACK) of Cleanliness & Lubrication on Hitches & Balls.
One of the most important parts of your towing package, receives the least amount of maintenance & attention.
Hockster

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I have one of the white plastic lube plates on the pin and don't put any lube on the pin or hitch plate. I do lube the mechanism in the hitch, though.

BusManRG

I'm pretty sure the OP is asking about greasing the pin.
Not sure if the plate was mentioned.
Perhaps he can clarify.

Peace
Dave

Yes, specifically the pin, but the other information has been great. It was something I hadn't heard mentioned here so when hubby was looking at different products I said, "Wait, give me 24 hours to check the forum!"