To much movement

Moog24

We recently purchased a Prowler 26BH. Once set up and level the camper still seems to have an incredible amount of bounce movement. When someone is walking in it or even if one of us rolls over in bed. Any cure to this? I tried using less stabilizer (manual) and more wood blocking I'm on at least 1 8x8 each corner. Tempted to go back to my old campers jack stands if needed.

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
We recently purchased a Prowler 26BH. Once set up and level the camper still seems to have an incredible amount of bounce movement. When someone is walking in it or even if one of us rolls over in bed. Any cure to this? I tried using less stabilizer (manual) and more wood blocking I'm on at least 1 8x8 each corner. Tempted to go back to my old campers jack stands if needed.

When we had travel trailers it helped a great deal to chock the wheels well! Using THESE took most of the movement out of the set up. Being as how you are still on the suspension there will always be some movement but these really helped us to eliminate most of it. Good luck and let us know what you find helps your situation.

Welcome from the Northeast Region and please consider joining the Owners Club! We are family friendly and best of all it's free for one year! You won't believe how big your camping family will become when you join. Also, please consider joining our Facebook Group to get even more fun and assistance when you need it.

bsuds

I have 2 hydraulic jacks that I use on my 5th wheel. I set them up on the frame rails near the tires and it eliminated almost all the movement.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
Welcome to the Heartland Family, I always had the same issue in my travel trailer, as Debbie suggested, chocking the wheels well will help but you will still get movement. You could add bracing to the front landing gear, that will help with some of the side to side movement as well, take a look at Jt-StrongArm by Lippert. You can get them for 280-300 at camping world or other larger RV stores.

Hope to meet you around a camp fire some time down the road!

Kevin

Garypowell

I think most of the bounce comes from the fact that you are sitting on a suspension system. My suggestion is to go step by step through the process of what works for you. By this I mean chock the wheels...if that makes you happy you can stop. Then maybe put clamps between the wheels....again if you are happy stop.

I had to keep going....and went to a pin stabilizer....helped but not all the way. Recently I bought 4 scissor jacks and permenently mounted them to the frame.....Now I am happy! Use a drill to run them up and down no big deal. Still use the other means because I know they all helped to some extent.

This way you don't jump to the most expensive solution only to find out you could have stopped a few dollars ago.

Moog24

Ok update. The 4 scissor stabilizer that come on the camper are cheap as anything. Front right folded over. I went today and bought 4 wheel chocks and started from square one
1. Raise all stabilizers
2. Chock both sides front and back of wheels
3. Useing tongue jack level front to back
4. Level back left to right using rear scissor stabilizer with more blocking than stabilizer
5. Level front left to right with solid wood blocking ( due to damaged stabilizer)
still a lot of bounce and rocking. Very frustrated our old 24 ft Layton felt solid at all times and the aftermarket stabilizers on that seem 4 times more rugged that the factory ones on the new prowler.
Am I doing something wrong as far as general set up?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
The wheel chocks that you are using do not help much in the way of movement.
You need something like RotoChok or x-chock. They lock up the tires.
You mentioned that you had to level using the stabilizers. Stabilizers are for stabilizing, not leveling. That may be why one of them collapsed.
You need to use blocking under the tires for level side to side.

Peace
Dave

Boozecamp

I have 2 hydraulic jacks that I use on my 5th wheel. I set them up on the frame rails near the tires and it eliminated almost all the movement.

X2 for me! I installed strong arm supports and it still bounced and moved when walking around. Today I put scissor jacks under each side at the frame near the wheels! Wow! What a difference. Get the black jack 1 1/2 ton scissor jacks at Walmart. $25 each. Best money I've spent on fixing movement.

bsuds

X2 for me! I installed strong arm supports and it still bounced and moved when walking around. Today I put scissor jacks under each side at the frame near the wheels! Wow! What a difference. Get the black jack 1 1/2 ton scissor jacks at Walmart. $25 each. Best money I've spent on fixing movement.

I got those hydraulic jacks on sale for half price. Total cost was about $20.00 for both.

MTPockets

This works well, but we use jack stands. Our bottle jacks did't hold more than a day, I had to keep giving it a pump or two every other day, so the jack stands work great. Same principle.

Boozecamp

I got those hydraulic jacks on sale for half price. Total cost was about $20.00 for both.
These are not hydraulic. They are the RV style scissor jack the kind you screw to lift. Evidently, Hydraulic jacks leak back over a few days.