Tow a Landmark with a goose Neck Hitch??

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader
So, do you guys think you could tow a Landmark with a goose neck? I think it would be rough I have no idea if the goose neck could hold the 16,000 ibs.

MCTalley

I've seen some pretty large gooseneck horse trailers rolling down the road. I'm thinking the technical aspects are not an issue. Ride? That might be a different story.

Lynn1130

Look at the list of "similar threads" below this one. Those may give you some more information.

Aandaar

Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch. Basically a Goose Neck adapter. Pulling a Bighorn at 43ft and 16500lbs. Love it and the ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chuck, Victoria, and Miss Callie

Bohemian

Andersin is not a gooseneck hitch. It simply mounts on the gooseneck ball.

The issue is torque on the 5th wheel frame. Lippert seems to void the warrently when used with gooseneck hitches, thus the confusion with Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Adapter.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I'm curies :/ What is the reason you would want to go with the goose neck over the fithwheel ?

In TX there are many oil field/pipeline workers that buy trailers to live in while they work, so they can move with the job. Since their trucks (they use for work) usually have a ball hitch, they seem to all have adapters on their 5vers to tow this way. I've seen lots of hauler-bed or long bed dually trucks with a welder in the back, also towing a large 5ver, gooseneck style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader
Well, a dealer made me an offer on a 2016 chev 3500 loaded to the ... also comes with a goose neck ball and adapter, plus the mounts for 5th wheel hit. they were including the Goose neck and wanted $1300.00 for the hit that bolts in. I was considering saving the $1300 for the 5th wheel hitch. I then priced the adapter for the Landmark so I could use the goose neck. I was not saving any money plus I lose the air bag on my air ride. So I did what any reasonable guy would do, I told the dealer the only way he would sell me the truck was if he gave me a smokin deal on the 5th wheel hitch. In the end, he included the hitch and the goose neck fittings at no charge. He wants me to display my Hot rod in his show room through the month of September, I agreed.

Love the new truck

TxCowboy

My next door neighbor here in the RV park is a Cyclone with a goose neck hitch. I asked her about it. She loves it and has been using it for a couple of years.

Westwind

Many brands of fifth wheels trailers have had problems with the front frame surrounding the pin and further back due to constant jolting while on the road over the years, I would think a true gooseneck hitch which many manufacturers do not recommend and will not warranty (so I've read on forums "?"). I have a air bag type hitch and hopefully it will cushion the front of the FW structure while on the road. Yes is was expensive but so is having the front of a FW pulled apart so that the frame can be beefed up. Trust me as you know you paid for that hitch, one way or another. Car dealers don't give anything away.

SButler83

I tow my '16 Gateway 3650BH on a gooseneck with the Reese Goosebox and I love it. I believe they're available in a 16k verson and a 20k version.

Lynn1130

I think this has come up before and as I recall Heartland does not or did not recommend or cover damage due to use of a goose neck. I am going from memory and sometimes that fails me.

SButler83

I think this has come up before and as I recall Heartland does not or did not recommend or cover damage due to use of a goose neck. I am going from memory and sometimes that fails me.

Agreed they don't recommend it, but they've said the goosebox won't void the warranty. I had mine purchased and installed as part of the original sale for that reason.
pretty sure there is a law as well that says that it is at the burden of the manufacturer to prove that a modification caused a failure and should void the warranty.

Jim.Allison

I would not force a modification on my rigs frame assembly for love or money. Most people are trying to save shock loads on their rigs with air ride and trailer saver hitches, why would you utilize a gooseneck hitch adaptor in preference to something that would save your rig from shock loads. Goosenecks are notorious for chucking. Most are trying to eliminate chucking. I'm not poo pooing your idea, but there seems to be no upside to this mod.

danemayer

pretty sure there is a law as well that says that it is at the burden of the manufacturer to prove that a modification caused a failure and should void the warranty.
This seems to be a commonly held belief. But in looking at the law and at the interpretation of the law, there appears to me to be quite a significant burden on the consumer, not on the manufacturer.

If anyone has found something that shows the burden on the manufacturer, I'd appreciate having it pointed out with a link.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
Heartland has approved both the Reese goose box and the Anderson Ultimate Goose neck adapter...both will not void your warranty.
Not sure where the idea of gooseneck causes chucking came from...I have never had chucking on any horse trailer nor do I have chucking on my new 2017 Sundance with the Anderson Ultimate goose neck adapter. It is a solid ride, much easier to hitch and unload that an normal fifth wheel and only 32 lbs for the hitch...Everyone has their opinion but the facts are the facts. We have HOC members towing Landmarks with the Anderson and I have yet to see a post of any problems....Can't say that for a lot of fifth wheel hitches. Just my opinion

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
By the way the Anderson Ultimate hitch is rated for 24,000 lbs and 4,500 pin weight and backed by a Five Million dollar warranty on every hitch sold.
So going back to post one....YES it will handle a Landmark, just make sure your truck can handle it.