Tow or blow

Snow

Should I tow or sit here and worry about a blowout??? , it's been raining all evening so I thought I would catch up my reading , and now I'm worried I've read so much about these towmax tires is there still a problem with them on a 2013 ? Have they gotten better ? Should you have to spend another 1500 $ on tires before the first year ?? Are they really that bad ?? , I've got about 1000 miles on mine now , it don't seem right for a company to keep putting out bad tires until something is done about it , we are getting ready to go to the outer banks so I'm not going to worry about the tires blowing out right ??? I don't go over 65 mph and I stop about every two hours for a break so ill keep a watch on them , PS I know nothing about these tires except what I've read and they say don't beleive everything you read . Wish me luck 🙏🙏🙏⛄⛄⛄⛄⛄

danemayer

65 is the MAXIMUM rated speed for most RV tires. Higher speed = higher internal temp = greater likelihood of internal damage = greater likelihood of blowouts.

That's for any tire. But perhaps it's more important for some tires than for others.

Slow down to 55 and run cooler.

Make sure inflation is correct. Make sure you're not overloaded. Both of those conditions also create extra heat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ramdually4100king

I have been towing for five years and rarely drive over 65 an I have not had a problem yet. (Knock on wood) I do get a good laugh from those that pass me doing greater than 65 when I see them down the road with a blow out. Do I think the tires suck... Yes. Do I think 55 mph is ridiculous... Yes.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
I'm happy at 55mph... Tires run cool and I get better fuel mileage. Then again, I'm retired and not in any hurry. I also like to take in the scenery while I'm going down the road. We only travel about 200 to 250 miles per day, so the extra 10mph really doesn't add up to any real advantage.
Rather safe than sorry!

pegmikef

I usually run between 55 and 60 because I am cheap and I get better fuel mileage. At that speed, I didn't get a blow max blowout untill I had 14,000 plus miles on the tires. Mine were D rated and ran at 65 psi. I faithfully checked the psi . . . still pow. I just replaced them all with E-rated tires. My TT is a lot lighter than your rig.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Some people have gotten good mileage out of them but when I got my trailer I replaced my tires with Michelin 16" XPS Ribs for self preservation. I don't want to have to repair my trailer, loose time on the road and be stuck somewhere I don't want to be. I like being pro active.

About all the 16" tires have a speed rating of 65mph, 80 or 110 psi max inflation. However I now use GY G114 17.5" that have a higher speed rating and heavier load rating.

I normally drive 60-65 mph, because at 55 my truck gets less mileage and runs in a lower gear until it gets to about 58-60mph. It runs cooler and easier at 63mph. I am not in a hurry but I also like to run on US highways rather than on Interstate Highways. Now many of the US highways are 2 lane and do have a speed limit of 55mph but not all, but I will still push it up to 58mph so it will shift into the highest gear.

FWIW
BC

Kbvols

Snow,
i have same concern or worry you have. The more I read the more I worry but it just doesn't seem right to have to buy new tires on a brand new RV. I have decided to take precautions proper air, stay under 65 and weight. I am hoping I can get at least 1 season of use before I replace. Hopefully luck is on my side. The ironic thing is I had a TT for 12 years pulled it everywhere... Replaced tires only once...did not consistently check air and consistently drove 70-75 mph never had tire troubles I am sure i was very lucky the only positive thing I did was never to carry a lot of weight.

piet10

I finally decided life was too short to be watching the rear mirrors and worrying about a blowout. So I just purchased Michelin XPS Ribs. My tire dealer is 30 miles away. On the way there, outdoor temp was 65 deg. and the tires climbed 8 degrees when I got there. On the return trip, temp was 75 degrees but the new tires only gained 4 degrees.

I was amazed at the difference in tire weight. The Michelins are 19 pounds heavier! And the sidewalls on the Towmax felt very soft, like they were a balloon. I don't believe the statements that STR tires have stronger sidewalls.

JMHO, but I think the money was well spent for the added peace of mind.

Al
HOC#2260

donr827

The question is why does Heartland continue to use the Towmax tires seeing all of the troubles Heartland owners have had?
Don

Wharton

With these blowouts one never knows how the tires were treated being delivered to the dealer or by the individual getting the blowout. If you are a good Rver you make sure your tires have the correct load and inflation, many people never even check their tires on a regular basis. I bet these are the first ones to wine when they have a blowout.

We ordered our Heartland with Goodyear tires, have a TPMS system and check out tires via the TPMS daily. In 40 plus years of Rving the only time we had a blowout was before we learned enough about tires and Rving. Once we learned that(only took 1 blowout), we switched to LT tires and have never had a problem since.

Education regarding tires really helps.

Tool958

With these blowouts one never knows how the tires were treated being delivered to the dealer or by the individual getting the blowout. If you are a good Rver you make sure your tires have the correct load and inflation, many people never even check their tires on a regular basis. I bet these are the first ones to wine when they have a blowout.

We ordered our Heartland with Goodyear tires, have a TPMS system and check out tires via the TPMS daily. In 40 plus years of Rving the only time we had a blowout was before we learned enough about tires and Rving. Once we learned that(only took 1 blowout), we switched to LT tires and have never had a problem since.

Education regarding tires really helps.

We took every precaution we could to make our Towmax's last knowing all that I had read about them. Towed at or below 65 mph. Ran a TPMS that showed temperature as well as pressure on each tire. Checked them at each fill-up along with checking the bearings for being cool. Didn't have any collisions with curbs, etc. It still didn't make any difference. They had less than 3000 miles on them when the first one blew the sidewall out. I personally don't believe there are thousands getting by with running them. There have been way too many cases documented showing otherwise. There is no defending running these type of tires on these trailers. I just can't believe there hasn't been something done to change to a different tire.
As far as education, I've pulled every type of travel trailer there is and this is the first blowout we've had. Been towing for about 30 years or so.

Snow

Just went out to check my size they are st235/80r16 would this be the right date code 2412 ?? And if so is 12 the year and what's 24?? I hope I am one of the thousands that don't have a problem for awhile ⛄⛄⛄⛄⛄��������

gvtahoe88

lRe: Tow or blow

Tool98!!

I agree with you 110% these BLOW MAX are junk and a risk for our safety. Be as careful has you like but they will blow, not if but when. I am another victim of this junk tire and did it all by the book. to make them last.

We took every precaution we could to make our Towmax's last knowing all that I had read about them. Towed at or below 65 mph. Ran a TPMS that showed temperature as well as pressure on each tire. Checked them at each fill-up along with checking the bearings for being cool. Didn't have any collisions with curbs, etc. It still didn't make any difference. They had less than 3000 miles on them when the first one blew the sidewall out. I personally don't believe there are thousands getting by with running them. There have been way too many cases documented showing otherwise. There is no defending running these type of tires on these trailers. I just can't believe there hasn't been something done to change to a different tire.
As far as education, I've pulled every type of travel trailer there is and this is the first blowout we've had. Been towing for about 30 years or so.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Just went out to check my size they are st235/80r16 would this be the right date code 2412 ?? And if so is 12 the year and what's 24?? I hope I am one of the thousands that don't have a problem for awhile ⛄⛄⛄⛄⛄��������

Snow.... 24th week of 2012! Sell them on craigslist and get some better tires. jmho

Thenomads

Replacing our Tow Max tires on our 2011 Bighorn we purchased new in July of 2011, with Bridgestone Darvis R250's tomorrow. We purchased them at Americas/Discount Tire. Got it out of the body shop last Friday from our first blow out in over 20 years of RVing. Don't know which was worse, seeing the body damage or having to spend the money.

Corey & M'Lissa

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I know many folks say their tires have lasted longer than a year but keep in mind there are many factors on tires lasting. Here are some; date of manufacture (age), how fast do you drive?, why type of roads do you drive on, how much weight is on them, what time of day do you drive (hotter in the afternoon), where do you drive (really hot in the south many more months than up north, what type of tire do you have, how many miles do you drive each year. We will pull our 5er 6k to 10k miles per year. So keep in mind just asking a general question like how long should my tires last will lead to many different answered.

DougLynne

retired Alberta Chapter Leaders
I'm on my second set of Towmax and have no concerns with them. I use a tire monitor and I travel under 65 mpg. Don't worry, get out and enjoy your unit, that's why you bought it. Doug

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
I had less than 4 month o. My tow max. Blew a tire and destroyed my brke wires and a fender skirt on the trailer. I now have 14 ply Hankook tires and have had no problems.