Tow Vehicle- MODS

Sniper

Just thinking out loud. Increased boost, older engine, and more blowby causing increased crankcase pressure. Hmmm is there like a PCV valve on the engine that could be not releasing the excess?
Cliff the exact same question crossed my mind but, the vent system it has it would be almost impossible for it to fail. However since I just had the line coming off it unhooked, it would be easy enough to check to see if it is venting.

@ Carter I'm not running any tunes but, had been thinking if we keep the truck to get hold of DP I was kind of interested in his use of the EBPV as an exhaust brake tune too.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I added Crossfires to my wheels this weekend.

View attachment 48386
Before

View attachment 48384View attachment 48385
After.
I will work on getting the center cap notched so I can get it back on.
I noticed a vibration after I put them on but then I had the truck out early this morning and no vibration at 60 so I am not sure what would be causing it or if it is just me.

Interested in how you get the cap on and if it stays on. I bought the crossfire but have not installed it yet due to the modification that has to be made. I am also curious if the Crossfire affects the balance of the wheel/tire causing vibration.

Bones

Interested in how you get the cap on and if it stays on. I bought the crossfire but have not installed it yet due to the modification that has to be made. I am also curious if the Crossfire affects the balance of the wheel/tire causing vibration.
So far the statement about the crossfires not causing balance issues is a load of crapola. I'm having a lot of issues at the moment. I'm trying to work through them and I will post back all of my findings. My brackets that I installed onto the axle hub did not hold up to 70 MPH for 13 hours. They failed and I put the heavy brackets back on the lugs and I have wonderful vibrations. I am going to try different things.

Sniper

So far the statement about the crossfires not causing balance issues is a load of crapola. I'm having a lot of issues at the moment. I'm trying to work through them and I will post back all of my findings. My brackets that I installed onto the axle hub did not hold up to 70 MPH for 13 hours. They failed and I put the heavy brackets back on the lugs and I have wonderful vibrations. I am going to try different things.
I wonder if something like these really work and, if they would correct balance for add on's like the crossfires? http://www.centramatic.com/wheel-balance.rhtml?type=Light-Duty

CarterKraft

I wonder if something like these really work and, if they would correct balance for add on's like the crossfires? http://www.centramatic.com/wheel-balance.rhtml?type=Light-Duty

They are local to me and I bought a set 10 years ago. They worked so-so for years but one tire rotation I noticed they didn't sound right and I found the beads were stuck and/or not moving.
They never cured my balance issues though 100%. Still have them hanging on a peg in my shop.
Hard to say if I'd go down that road again. Im not sure their is enough mass on a large enough radius to help. The ceramic beads inside the tire seem more appropriate.

IronJ

Re: My Tow Vehicle- MODS

They put those ceramic beads in my new tires....i took the truck back 3x for wicked rear end vibratons ...they added more /took some out....never worked...

The ended up road force balancing them with lead...truck rides superb ever since...

I know the 18wheel crew swear by them...

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Added a set of 5" IBOARDS
24m7tw3.jpg

Thin profile but surprisingly strong and sturdy
4j7xox.jpg

Really like the full length foot pad. More of a rubber material instead of plastic.
116tbir.jpg

IronJ

Honestly i dont undertand how trucks dont come with some sort of board!!???..

90a011f22af76a8a710dac36861c0493.jpg

I got parts galore...but no time to do much yet.......besides work..lol

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

Honestly I don't understand how trucks don't come with some sort of board!!???

Mine were installed by the dealership before it (truck) was put on the lot for sale.

TruckNewTires-P1010987.jpg
I love that foot step in the back bumper as well!

The sales person (who was also the dealership's sales manager) told me that they put running boards on every brand new truck they bring on the lot that didn't already have them from the factory.

He said there aren't that many new truck buyers out there that don't want them, so this way the buyer doesn't have to wait around to get them installed if they have to add them on to the sale.

IronJ

I agree....i swapped mine out for amp steps shortly after purchase but i put my old ones on Craigslist and they sold in literally 10 min at full asking price and i had about 30 other offers before i could take ad down...so yeah....people want em!!

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
fb3e7358198df5de4d2da49f8fd73dd3.jpg

Not a recent mod but we love our running boards with the lockout for the dually fender. Makes it easy to get to the hitch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JWalker

fb3e7358198df5de4d2da49f8fd73dd3.jpg

Not a recent mod but we love our running boards with the lockout for the dually fender. Makes it easy to get to the hitch!

That looks good.

I like the looks of the oem steps but we purposely did not order sidesteps for the truck from the factory. There are so many aftermarket choices, I thought I would go for a different look.

Last edited:

Bones

Honestly i dont undertand how trucks dont come with some sort of board!!???..

90a011f22af76a8a710dac36861c0493.jpg

I got parts galore...but no time to do much yet.......besides work..lol

That's a lot of parts there. 😂. I love those deliveries.

JWalker

In prep for a larger screen RV GPS. I wanted to get the unit off the window for a less obstructive view.
Modified a mounting bracket I saw on a RAM forum.

Found a a couple pieces of scrap to bend into brackets
ru5uuo.jpg

Tacked on a mounting surface
2qsca4i.jpg

I am not a welder by any means. But it was hard to tack the thin guaged metal without burning through. But with a little bit of sanding it turned out well.
2w2mop4.jpg

24lobx1.jpg

Three coats of primer, three coats satin black. Even with a little bit of polishing I still could not get the surface smooth enough to allow the suction cup to adhere to the painted surface. It would for a few minutes, then would lose suction. So I purchased a mounting disk off of Amazon for less than five dollars.
fx5f21.jpg

All done and mounted. Ran the power cord through the dash and out the bottom so there was no cords out front.
8we6n4.jpg

Now the GPS is down below the dash line and not obstructing my view. It also brought a closer so I do not need to lean forward to use the touchscreen. This is my old 6"GPS. The new one should have a 7" screen.
1z3305v.jpg

2ccqkg5.jpg

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired

Good placement. Close to where ours is. Easy to reach. Easy to read. Clears most of the windshield. Nice!!!

IronJ

That's a lot of parts there. 😂. I love those deliveries.
My wife is starting to be over the truck mods...time to work on my 87 bluebird shortbus project..