Towmax tire blow outs, Heartland may want your tire

Jim.Allison

YUP, you have liability also.

But more importantly, our trailers are covered against damage from blow outs as long as you did everything you could to mitigate the damage. e.g. you blew out a tire but instead of pulling over you drove it 5 miles further to a gas station and while enroute the remaining tire beat your car (or trailer) to pieces. They are not going to pay for that, but in the same scenario, you continued a 1/2 mile to a safe spot to park it, they will. My agent also told me that if you have your oil changed, (she gave an example of differential oil) and the place did not put the oil back in, you are covered in those situations also. People don't read their policies and they should. Like I said, the most expensive insurance you will ever buy is insurance that you don't collect on. BTW mine was $0 deductible when I blew my tire.

Renters insurance in Texas covers more then personal property?

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
There are almost no LT tires in the 15 inch size. I really don't want Carlisle although they only have one failure report on the DOT site but I have heard lots of bad reports about them. There are no Maxxis dealers in my area (Arizona). Maxxis says Discount carries them but they don't. Kind of leaves me wondering what to do. Maybe go to 16 inch wheels?

I found some good 15" LT tires at http://www.firestonetire.com/discover/truck

My new truck has Firestone Transforce HT tires . . .

So far they seem to be great tires (or should I say "Bad @$$!" :cool: ), so thought I'd check to see if they came in 15" for my trailer, but they don't.

But several of the other LT tires from Firestone do.

The Destination series had a couple that came in 15", as did a couple of the other ones.

There is a Firestone Store a couple of blocks from my house, so I will be going up there soon to check them out.

NewTruckAtCherryCreek-IMG_20140909_183951592.jpg

AuDaddy

Hi All,

I'm a newbie with a 2014 Bighorn 3010RE.

At 919 miles over 5 trips, I have separation on one the the factory installed Towmax tires.

I am considering replacing the Towmax set with Goodyear G614 RST's.

My rig is in the shop, so I can't look ate the rims to see the PSI and Max Load ratings.

Does anyone know these numbers for the rims?

Any and all recommendations re: tire selection/rims will be greatly appreciated.

David

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Hi All,

At 919 miles over 5 trips, I have separation on one the the factory installed Towmax tires.

My rig is in the shop, so I can't look ate the rims to see the PSI and Max Load ratings.

Any and all recommendations re: tire selection/rims will be greatly appreciated.

David

Likely, they are. You can check out Tredittire.com and look for your wheels. If the specs say 3750 lbs, they are 110 psi capable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim.Allison

They may be Sendel T04 rims, 8 lug on 6.5 inch circle (common). If they are then your wheels are PROBABLY compatible with the 110 PSI and 3750 LB rating of the G614. Sendel T0(zero)4.

Hi All,

David

Roller4tan

I had to replace a Tredit rim on my Bighorn 3010RE because of a pin hole leak under their warranty. They are 110 psi and 3750 lbs.

SMinter

So far they seem to be great tires (or should I say "Bad @$$!" :cool: ), so thought I'd check to see if they came in 15" for my trailer, but they don't.

The Destination series had a couple that came in 15", as did a couple of the other ones.

There is a Firestone Store a couple of blocks from my house, so I will be going up there soon to check them out.

View attachment 31918

I don't see any load range selection on those. Interested if they do come in LR D or E.

AuDaddy

Hi All,

David

Thanks All,

The rims on my 2014 BH 3010 RE are indeed rated at 110 psi/3750 lbs. I just ordered 5 Goodyear G614's. They are pricey, but I enjoy the peace of mind.

Thanks to all who replied.

David

JohnD

Actually, after looking again there was a 235/75/15 in the Transforce HT series, although my trailer has 205's . . .

Maybe I should have gotten those as it would have probably raised my trailer the 2 inches (I think) instead of dropping $400 on the new trailer hitch setup as it rode high in the front.

These three shots were all before I got the new drop down assembly:

NewTruck&Trailer-IMG_20140828_104506854 (1).jpg Newtruckoldhitch-IMG_20140828_134053993.jpg Newtruck&trailer-IMG_20140829_090639644.jpg

However, the Destination series of the Firestone's looks attractive as well.

Plus, they are made right here in the good old US of A!

Well, we are leaving the day after tomorrow (isn't that a movie :p ) for our last campout of the summer (Colorado HOC Fall Rally) and should be the last one with the BlowMax's as well.

Will be getting those replaced this winter . . . probably with these Firestone's, unless something better is discovered.

Jim.Allison

SCPOBob

Not sure if Heartland is or ever was monitoring this thread, but here is my story: //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/48506-Another-TowMax-victim-reporting-in

RVFun4Us

After buying our 3055 Big Horn in July 2008, we exchanged the Chinese tires for Michelin XPS Ribs right away. We are now 6 years in and the tires show very little wear. They have held up well. If we keep this coach another year, we will swap out for new tires at the recommended 7 year interval. Believe me, you do not want to experience a blow-out on a trailer. Very glad we rid ourselves of the Chinese tires because of poor performance and horrid reviews back in 2008.

tireman9

//heartlandowners.org/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by boatto5er //heartlandowners.org/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png
To add fuel to the fire, here's a nice Consumer Reports article: https://autos.yahoo.com/news/consume...130000473.html

I have real problems with the comparison of some performance characteristics of a $200 tire with an $89 tire and suggesting that the $89 tire is somehow of poor quality because it didn't provide the same wear or traction level. I guess this means Ford trucks are of "poor quality" because they don't accelerate, handle or stop as quickly as a Corvette.

I have a two part post on "Tire Quality on my blog. You can read part one now. It may give you some things to think about.

Jim.Allison

You link did not go to any information involving trailer tires or any other tire. What is the thrust of your comment? Or can you make a screenshot and post it?

//heartlandowners.org/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by boatto5er //heartlandowners.org/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png
To add fuel to the fire, here's a nice Consumer Reports article: https://autos.yahoo.com/news/consume...130000473.html

I have real problems with the comparison of some performance characteristics of a $200 tire with an $89 tire and suggesting that the $89 tire is somehow of poor quality because it didn't provide the same wear or traction level. I guess this means Ford trucks are of "poor quality" because they don't accelerate, handle or stop as quickly as a Corvette.

I have a two part post on "Tire Quality on my blog. You can read part one now. It may give you some things to think about.

JohnD

I guess I'm glad that the 2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 won the braking shootout between the 2015 Chevy-Ford-Dodge shootout that I just read the other night from a link I found here in this forum.

http://special-reports.pickuptrucks...arter-ton-hd-challenge-and-the-winner-is.html

I'll let you drudge through the links and the whole article to get the gist of the shootout, like I had to.

Jim.Allison