Trading '14 Cyclone 4100 HD for '16 LM Charleston

IronJ

Your salesman said that or it was in the finance agreement. .. (ford did same to me....salesman said a year and then I called ford and they said 2 payments )...

As for service in can't see them not warranting it....I mean you STILL bought it there.....and in reality it's a crap shoot that they will fix it timely or right in the first place (especially if it's fun town)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

jimtoo

If the dealer has 8 locations it might not hurt to try a different location. If it is who I am thinking of,,, each location is pretty much independent and has it's own GM. Call the Seguin store, don't tell them you have been shopping at one of their other stores.

Jim M

AlwaysOnLiberty

Thanks Jim. Will look into that.

IronJ, you're right, it's all a crap shoot.

I have never been this anxious and hmmmmmm, miffed about buying and selling our 3 former S&B's. And our first RV purchase went smooth as silk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bones

Can you sell your camper independently then come back and just buy with your financing.

IronJ

If your looking for the best deal then selling your PRIVATELY might be the best route...might not....I could have gotten about 3k more for my trade, BUT considering the tax difference and trouble dealing with selling it i didn't want to....plus the dealer offer was for my unit stock...so I took off all the stuff I put on (inverter,led bulbs,hitch and rack,extra tv,swivel recliners in place of couch, etc) which I'm sure woulda had to to have been included in the sale to get top dollar privately.

Then I used the quote that rvw gave me (they really are great to work with, but I found exact same unit at same price close to home ) so I went in and made an offer....I told them it was an out the door offer and I already had cash/financing covered...they said no, it sat a week, they called and said come get it...done...I was just about to call rvw back and meet them half way to pick up a diff one ...there were 50 cyclone 4200 in a 200 mile radius...and only 1 RW 420. ..everywhere said "oh we sold all those already"...lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

AlwaysOnLiberty

UPDATE:

We went in with our last offer and they came back $2000 higher which was really stretching it for us and the % we were figuring. The salesman came back with again, "their financing". Told them we had to sleep on it.

Two days later, we get call from GM (not the Salesman or Sales Manager) of said RV dealer who said "we can allow you to bring your own financing but the new price is.....$6000 more than their last offer (which again, was already $2000 more than our final offer).

Soooooo, they make money off our trade (at least about $10k), make money off the new purchase (they were only coming down 20% off MSRP) and ALSO make another $6000 on financing.

We told him no deal. We are finished negotiating. The GM started this sob story about how he's a (his words exactly) "for profit company" and he has to pay for advertising of our trade, someone to clean and prep it (even though we are mechanically and physically meticulous in caring for our coach) and blah, blah, blah. He also said that 'toyhaulers' don't sell and take longer because of their lack of interest (really, because everywhere we go now, there's always toyhaulers; not only for toys but families and business offices).

Did a little digging and found a BBB review of the same dealership from someone who had the same exact experience.

So, we are taking a break. We know exactly what we want, and how much we want to pay (figured out the %'s off MSRP). We have financing waiting for us. We know what we have to do to be fair to the dealer and ourselves. We don't expect an outlandish killer deal but the dealer shouldn't be making $50k on us either.

Selling ours outright isn't going to work for us as we are on an extended RV vacation in it right now. For it to work, timing would have to be of the essence.

Thank you to the private messages from those who offered helpful suggestions. Our Landmark Charleston is out there waiting. When God wants us to have it, he'll present that opportunity in time. Until then, we will continue to love our Cyclone....after all, it's still a Heartland.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
When we were looking for our new rig we spent a lot of time talking to dealers recommended by other owners all over the country. Our biggest roadblock was getting what we wanted in trade for our NT. It was frustrating to say the least. One thing we found was the dealers closest to the manufacturers can sell pretty cheap but you do not want to trade with them for the same reason. They also cannot collect taxes for where you live so you need to consider that. We had talked to a dealer about an hour away mid summer and they were not willing to work with us. We went back looking at SOB and found them that day very willing to deal with us and we were able to get everything we asked for. I am not sure why the drastic switch but we are not complaining. I wish you luck in your search. My biggest thought on dealers is I have no idea what they are thinking. On a side note, I have gone back and searched some of the dealers we talked to and the model we were looking at is still sitting on their lot.

meagle

There are a few simple principles that the consumer can use that will give you the best deal possible:
* keep the deal simple, no trade, cash or arrange your own financing
*don't fall in love with the coach on the lot, there are hundreds of others out there
*walk away if you don't like the deal or pressure from the dealer
*be patient, you will get 30% off of the MSRP for an RV and dealer invoice or below for a car/truck
The last several cars and RV purchases I made were just as I described above. It keeps it simple.

Mburtsvt

I’m all in agreement with meagle. It took around 2 years to settles on the type of RV we wanted. It then took another 4 months and 5 dealers until we got the deal we wanted. Unfortunately the “dealer experience” for RV sales has not caught up with the reality of how sales are done. It’s incredibly hard to get valid and correct information from a dealer. I stayed away as much as I could from dealers.

The biggest help was having what turned out to be more information than the dealer had. Having the MSRP sheet and knowing what I was going to order was a big help in getting the “percent off” I wanted on a new RV I ordered. I did not finance or have a trade - keeping it clean and sweet is the buzz word.

AlwaysOnLiberty

UPDATE!!!!!!

We are the proud owners of a 2016 Landmark Ashland!!! We ended up going with a different location but same dealer name. We were set on the Charleston but when we stepped foot in the Ashland, we were pleasantly surprised at the monstrosity of kitchen storage. We love our new home and are busy personalizing it with our own mods!

Thank you to all those who helped us through suggestions and conversations. We hope to meet you all at the next national rally in Vegas next October.

CaptnJohn

My last 2 coaches were bought at the same place. The new one was within less than $1000 if I had traveled 1000 miles to pick up. I also received more for my trade than thought and it was real close to what I may have received from a private sale without the hassle. The dealer is the largest in the state and only 45 minutes from my home. Service seems better than most I hear about. Both coaches have been purchased through the internet manager (no commission paid to him) and he has been great in assisting after the sale. They use Bank of America for financing but are just as happy with your financing or cash. I was asked if I had any cards with rewards and it was suggested to put $5,000 on the card for the rewards. If I buy another it will be at the same dealer and hopefully the internet manager is still there in some capacity.

carl.swoyer

I would suggest selling outright. Rv dealership are going to move dollars around to make it look good on paper. If you can try to buy from a dealer in Elkhart Indiana. I saw mine their for $ 15000.00 less than I paid in Florida..go look at them on a rainy day it helps find water leaks. Check your ac duct work to make sure hot and cold air are not mixing. If the air mixes you will have moisture in and on your ceiling.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Jonah

I would suggest selling outright. Rv dealership are going to move dollars around to make it look good on paper. If you can try to buy from a dealer in Elkhart Indiana. I saw mine their for $ 15000.00 less than I paid in Florida..go look at them on a rainy day it helps find water leaks. Check your ac duct work to make sure hot and cold air are not mixing. If the air mixes you will have moisture in and on your ceiling.

How do you check for hot and cold air mixing in ductwork?
thanks

carl.swoyer

Condensation in your ductwork will show up as sweat or moisture on the ceiling right under the ac. Mine was so bad I had water dripping from the seams in the ceiling. If you're in a cold climate it may not show up. I'm in Florida so it was really easy to see

Jonah

It sounds like a ventilation issue. Same can happen in a stick/brick home if attic isn't ventilated properly. I wonder if it's possible to ventilate the roof/attic area? I think I've heard that Montana brand ventilates their roof? Is it possible due to different construction ?

danemayer

It sounds like a ventilation issue. Same can happen in a stick/brick home if attic isn't ventilated properly. I wonder if it's possible to ventilate the roof/attic area? I think I've heard that Montana brand ventilates their roof? Is it possible due to different construction ?

I think Landmark 365 uses a laminated roof structure; i.e. no open attic space. Also, the A/C ducts are pretty far apart. The A/C blows air out on the off-door-side and uses the duct on the door side for air return.

On older A/C designs, the outgoing air and return air were right next to each other, separated by a foil sheet at the A/C unit. If that wasn't installed correctly, air could mix. I haven't heard of that on Landmark 365 design.

carl.swoyer

My problem was in the mixing box in the central air I have the Dometic brisk air 15k there's a separation panel between hot and cold and it was leaking