Truck diesel

jimtoo

You need to watch when you go to some of the truck sides. They sometimes will charge or what ever they call it, get pre-authorization for up to $500 if you are requested to leave your card with them. Then they will adjust after you finish, or they are supposed to correct.

57chevyconvt

Requirements may vary from station to station and state to state, but I normally ask a near by trucker for help at the pump, if needed. Otherwise I send the wife in with credit card to have the inside attendant to turn on the pump before hand. The biggest problem that I have had is at those totally self serve truck fill stations, the pump can be some what cantankerous at times in taking my Flying J credit card. But again a seasoned truck drive is a good source of information. Just remember those truck islands have two pumps for filling saddle tanks on either or both side at the same time. The main pump on the drives side is the lead pump, it must be turned by lifting the lever before any fuel can be pumped from the lag (passenger side) pump. From experience, make sure the fuel sale is canceled out from the previous sale or otherwise you might find yourself paying for someone else's fuel.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Thanks to the auxiliary fuel tank, we rarely have to fuel on the road. When we do, we choose truck stops, and go to the big-rig side, or some places have RV specific pumps. Problem with the RV specific, usually the user isn't in a hurry. So often, we have to wait and wait behind someone's rig while they go in for a pit-stop, shopping, lunch, walk the dogs or something.... it's always FRUSTRATING. Truckers usually move out of the pump lane if they need to go inside.

oldmannj

OK Here's the deal.....it's all ULSD. The dyed stuff is not taxed for road use, hence the dye/price difference. If you're using truck stops you're probably paying too much!!! They usually hike the price by as much as 20 cents a gallon at the truck stops to cover the cost of the "free" showers the driver gets when he fuels. In my area diesel runs $3.75 a gallon. At the TA near me it's $3.99 cash. You get the pleasure of paying $4.03 for credit. I know it's easy,but I think everyone likes to save a buck. After 40+ years on the road as a truck driver, I still utilize the always less expensive (usually very near) fuel stops in the vicinity of the truck stops.

mobilcastle

I don't know what the deal is with ULSD-all I know is it all cost too much! All this new oil and gas from fracking and no break in pricing?????? Happy trails-see you down the road.

sjs731

I have been at the truck island before in Indiana and they wanted to know my DOT number and how much to authorize the pump for. Pain in the butt. I don't use that island unless I have to use it.

Steve and Carrie

HOC# 2252

2007 GMC 2500HD Duramax

B&W Companion Hitch

2012 Sundance 3300CK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MCTalley

We typically fill our truck at a local station the night before traveling. In the event we travel far enough during the day to require fuel, I always try to use one of the "big" stations - Pilot/Flying J, Loves or T/A. In all cases, I pull up to a truck pump, walk inside, guess high on how much I will need (say $125 if I figure it'll need $100) and ask for that much. They run my card, ask for my truck number and I just say it's a private RV (with which nobody has had a problem), they hand me a pre-authorization receipt for $125 and I go out and pump. When you stop the pump and hang it up, the system will automatically remove the pre-authorization hold and replaces it with the actual pumped amount. Might take a day or two to settle out on the credit card statement, but it works the same every time.

I got an RV customer loyalty card from Pilot/Flying J which gives you 3 cents a gallon off the price at the pump. Loves doesn't offer anything similar and I don't use T/A enough to ask. My AmEx gives me 3% back on all fuel purchases, so I essentially save 11-12 cents a gallon.

JanAndBill

All #2 ULSD. I suspect "truck diesel" refers to the taxable status of the fuel as opposed to nontaxable fuel for a reefer.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
I am not up to date on the newer diesels, but I can tell you anything you need to know about the 7.3. ULSD is a pre 06-07 engine killer. The engines back then were designed to run on LSD. The process of making ULSD takes out two very important lubricating qualities, cetane and of course sulfer. This process also assures that you do not get the same quality fuel each time you fuel up. The fuel processors cannot do it and they admit it. I have noticed a 3 mpg drop in fuel efficiency when I do not put additive in my pu, and keeping the egt's low becomes a challenge. As far as fuel prices are concerned, when I was trucking I had a fleet account that assured I would not have to pay the higher prices at the truck stops. Just last weekend we drove by a Flying J to a small shell station and the price difference in fuel was right at 25 cents a gallon. IMO if you plan right you will never need to stop at a truck stop and you will save money in the process of doing so.

JanAndBill

Also, unlike gasoline, the quality and amount of contamination can vary. I don't fuel at little out of the way places. After discounts from the truck stop and credit cards I end up paying their cash price.

wdk450

Since I have a 2004 Cummins 5.9 in my Ram, I am concerned by your posting. I always use a diesel fuel additive (Power Pro Plus). Do most diesel fuel additives take care of the ULSD deficiencies? (i.e. "diesel killers")?

I am not up to date on the newer diesels, but I can tell you anything you need to know about the 7.3. ULSD is a pre 06-07 engine killer. The engines back then were designed to run on LSD. The process of making ULSD takes out two very important lubricating qualities, cetane and of course sulfer. This process also assures that you do not get the same quality fuel each time you fuel up. The fuel processors cannot do it and they admit it. I have noticed a 3 mpg drop in fuel efficiency when I do not put additive in my pu, and keeping the egt's low becomes a challenge. As far as fuel prices are concerned, when I was trucking I had a fleet account that assured I would not have to pay the higher prices at the truck stops. Just last weekend we drove by a Flying J to a small shell station and the price difference in fuel was right at 25 cents a gallon. IMO if you plan right you will never need to stop at a truck stop and you will save money in the process of doing so.

JanAndBill

Since I have a 2004 Cummins 5.9 in my Ram, I am concerned by your posting. I always use a diesel fuel additive (Power Pro Plus). Do most diesel fuel additives take care of the ULSD deficiencies? (i.e. "diesel killers")?

Generally additives increase the lubricity of the fuel, as well as increase the cetane rating. I use Ford's Motorcraft PM 22A. There are others cheaper, but they require using more, so all in all it's about the same.

tmcran

Generally additives increase the lubricity of the fuel, as well as increase the cetane rating. I use Ford's Motorcraft PM 22A. There are others cheaper, but they require using more, so all in all it's about the same.

I use Stanadyne in my Dmax. Only problem have to find shop that sells it. They have also raised prices. I have used different ones over the years. Have not been able to get any of them to improve mpg to any significant amt.

caissiel

I have been using outboard oil for years. Usually add it to top of the fuel tank of fuel to help in mpg when I get a batch of bad fuel.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y300-0151 using Tapatalk

JanAndBill

I've been told that adding a little 100% Biodiesel to your tank will counteract the ULSD problems

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
I use Stanadyne myself and whenever I am going to tow a long distance I add some Wallmart ashless 2 stroke oil as well, one ounce per gallon. The performance diesel shop I use suggests both but sells neither. It may cost more for the additives per mile but when you are spending 40k plus on a TV I like the piece of mind. I always send in a oil sample for analysis every other oil change as well to check for engine wear. So far so good.

Miltp920

I am IMPRESSED with your mileage with diesel. I have yet to see 20 mpg empty and best towing 15,500lbs is 10.3 mpg. What do you think is the KEY to your 12.6 mpg towing and 21mpg empty?
What tune HP do you tow with?

I have been using outboard oil for years. Usually add it to top of the fuel tank of fuel to help in mpg when I get a batch of bad fuel.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y300-0151 using Tapatalk

caissiel

Those mileage have been steady for the past 7 years. If my instant mileage shows lower then usual I add the Walmart ashless outboard oil and power is restored.
Our previous SOB unit was harder on fuel.
The BC has been fantastic.
I try to keep it above 14mpg rate. Tail wind gets sometime above 15.
I keep it on 85 hp program for towing for better mileage. But for around home I set it at 125 hp programmed for unloaded fuel mileage increase.
The trick for good mpg is to keep the turbo pressure at 10psi or lower. The programing allows it to do most small hills at below 10psi.
the best mpg tool is the scangaugeII. It trains me to tow economicaly.

danemayer

Sometimes you have to ask what kind of gallon the mpg is based on. I think Canada uses Imperial gallons that are 20% larger than U.S. gallons. 12 mpg in Canada might be about equivalent to 10 mpg in the U.S.

Miltp920

How heavy is your BC? I think your other mods put you in a different league than my mostly stock GMC. I wonder which diesel gets the best mileage towing and empty?

Those mileage have been steady for the past 7 years. If my instant mileage shows lower then usual I add the Walmart ashless outboard oil and power is restored.
Our previous SOB unit was harder on fuel.
The BC has been fantastic.
I try to keep it above 14mpg rate. Tail wind gets sometime above 15.
I keep it on 85 hp program for towing for better mileage. But for around home I set it at 125 hp programmed for unloaded fuel mileage increase.
The trick for good mpg is to keep the turbo pressure at 10psi or lower. The programing allows it to do most small hills at below 10psi.
the best mpg tool is the scangaugeII. It trains me to tow economicaly.