Truck diesel

caissiel

Actually FlyingJ use to have bad fuel but now its the best. So is Exxon and most major brand. I use the oil for cheap fuel.
The 110lbs of air in the tires for the trailer has been the advantage. I keep the truck at 80psi loaded. In five years everything has been great. The 3500RL BC has great pin weight for the SRW trucks. We carry everything we need for 6 months south. Sound equipment, kayaking equipment, 2 bikes and my wife's sewing hobby.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y300-0151 using Tapatalk

Seren

Those mileage have been steady for the past 7 years. If my instant mileage shows lower then usual I add the Walmart ashless outboard oil and power is restored.
Our previous SOB unit was harder on fuel.
The BC has been fantastic.
I try to keep it above 14mpg rate. Tail wind gets sometime above 15.
I keep it on 85 hp program for towing for better mileage. But for around home I set it at 125 hp programmed for unloaded fuel mileage increase.
The trick for good mpg is to keep the turbo pressure at 10psi or lower. The programing allows it to do most small hills at below 10psi.
the best mpg tool is the scangaugeII. It trains me to tow economicaly.

Ok, ok...
I feel like I am a 3rd grader who happened to stumble into a physics convention. I am a newbie not only with RV's, but also trucks, so all the obviously cool things your talking about, I probably should learn such as "hp", "turbo pressure", and mixing oil in your diesel. Where can I learn the "physics" of getting the best out of my diesel engine, especially while towing? Bought truck 3 months ago and have been getting 10mpg tow and 15 in town. Oh btw, will start fulltiming in 4 weeks.

2014 Landmark Grand Canyon
2014 GMC Denali 3500 CC SRW
Companion hitch

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Ok, ok...
I feel like I am a 3rd grader who happened to stumble into a physics convention. I am a newbie not only with RV's, but also trucks, so all the obviously cool things your talking about, I probably should learn such as "hp", "turbo pressure", and mixing oil in your diesel. Where can I learn the "physics" of getting the best out of my diesel engine, especially while towing? Bought truck 3 months ago and have been getting 10mpg tow and 15 in town. Oh btw, will start fulltiming in 4 weeks.

2014 Landmark Grand Canyon
2014 GMC Denali 3500 CC SRW
Companion hitch

Your truck isn't even broken in yet! Neither is mine and I've had it for 5 years and haven't hit 50K miles. The 10 mpg towing is probably as good as you'll get, although I've seen almost 12 on level ground. The 15 mpg not towing, is about right for running around the city. Out on the freeway, not towing, is where you'll see the 19 to 20 mpg, if you keep it between 65 and 70 mph on level roads. Get into some hills, even small ones, and it will drop.

Another note on mpg. If you check the mpg on your DIC display while the engine is in Regen, you might get heart failure. Newer models have an indicator, mine does not. Took me a bit to realize that. Once the Regen is done, the mpg shoots up.

A note on the ScanGauge II. I tried it on mine, found it difficult to read, much less operate while driving. And quickly learned that it did not contain all of the algorithms for the GMC computers (learned that from the manufacturer). So I sent it back for a refund. The OEM DIC gives me all the info I need.

caissiel

""But I have a 6 speed standard 2005 diesel that gives me full control of my driving.
The scangaugeII has been used for 7 years with full support for the 6.0L Ford.
I have to calibrate the fuel flow every time I change the programmer setting. On level 3 at 125 horse power(hp) power increase the setting needs to be calibrated at 37% off from normal. It's the only tool used for hypermiling.
Hypermiling is the therm used for people trying to get best mileage out of their vehicles.
I have been at it for years with lots of fuel savings with different vehicles, .diesels included.
Here is what I get from my scangauge.
1. mpg is 33 at 50 mph without OD
2. mpg is 28 at 55 mph with OD
3. mpg is 23 at 70 mph but only with programer, without its in the tank at around 15mpg.
4. I never shift to OD till I am driving above 50mph towing or not.
The scangauge is the only accurate gauge I use for towing, sure beats the inaccurate gauges that Ford puts in the dash. And the scangauge programmable display uses the same computer readings such as coolant and oil temperatures.
Cannot tow without it, specially in the mountains, as I watch the coolant and oil temperature rise and able to hold back to protect the engine. I am only concern about engine performance as the tranny is standard.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y300-0151 using Tapatalk

mobilcastle

I sold my ScanGuageII since I could not get much info on my Chev.
Your truck isn't even broken in yet! Neither is mine and I've had it for 5 years and haven't hit 50K miles. The 10 mpg towing is probably as good as you'll get, although I've seen almost 12 on level ground. The 15 mpg not towing, is about right for running around the city. Out on the freeway, not towing, is where you'll see the 19 to 20 mpg, if you keep it between 65 and 70 mph on level roads. Get into some hills, even small ones, and it will drop.

Another note on mpg. If you check the mpg on your DIC display while the engine is in Regen, you might get heart failure. Newer models have an indicator, mine does not. Took me a bit to realize that. Once the Regen is done, the mpg shoots up.

A note on the ScanGauge II. I tried it on mine, found it difficult to read, much less operate while driving. And quickly learned that it did not contain all of the algorithms for the GMC computers (learned that from the manufacturer). So I sent it back for a refund. The OEM DIC gives me all the info I need.

Seren

""But I have a 6 speed standard 2005 diesel that gives me full control of my driving.

So an automatic equals less control and means harder to improve mpg? So lets see, adding a quality additive is probably a good thing, driving under 70mph (preferably 60), keeping tires at the correct psi, anything else that is obvious that I should do? What about adding oil to the fuel tank that you mentioned?

Salamat (thank you in tagalog (Filipino))

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
So an automatic equals less control and means harder to improve mpg? So lets see, adding a quality additive is probably a good thing, driving under 70mph (preferably 60), keeping tires at the correct psi, anything else that is obvious that I should do? What about adding oil to the fuel tank that you mentioned?

Salamat (thank you in tagalog (Filipino))

Your truck should do just fine. Read the manual about the tow/haul mode and the manual shift option. I assume since it's a 2014 that it also has the turbo brake. Laurent has much experience and knowledge, but personally, I would not add anything to the fuel beyond a quality diesel fuel additive. I use Opti-Lube in mine.

Last edited: