Truck Recommendations

cmart

Well I've been pulling various 5ivers with my 2002 duramax w/allison and all I can say is that it can pull it, but in a tight, can it stop it. However, I think now I would opt for a 3500 with duramax and allison tranny if my garage door were a little wider. Thats the only thing keeping me from moving on up to the one ton with the current prices on these rigs.

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
Something you should know about the Chevrolet truck when you start talking about the 3/4 tons. Typically the diesels will get you better mileage than the gas trucks. It will not be so much better to cancel out the difference in fuel costs but all-in-all the diesel will be a much better truck in the long run. I wouldn't be without mine.

Good luck,
Mark

I disagree. Do the math. The fuel mileage difference makes a big difference in the cost even with diesel $0.45 more per gallon on national average. It even makes a difference on my wifes Jetta TDI that gets 45 mpg without even trying to get good fuel economy, the typical small cars of the same size only get about 30 mpg..... Sorry, it's a lot of fun to drive when that turbo kicks in, bet I could get over 50mpg if I drove it like my truck LOL

Just about everyone I speak to pulling a fifth wheel with a gas engine says they get about 6-7 mpg and the diesel guys typically say 10-11 mpg. Using these figures here is the cost for a 1000 mile trip.

Gasoline 166 gallons @ 6mpg = $616 @ $3.70 per gallon national average
Diesel 100 gallons @ 10mpg = $415 @ $4.15 per gallon national average

Savings of diesel over gas for 1000 miles = $201. The gasser would have to get 8mpg just to equal and pull ahead of the diesel by a whopping $4

Me, I get 14-15 mpg pulling mid profile fifth wheels like the Hearland Sundance and Keystone Cougar running speeds 58-62 mph. That's better than my dads 200? (can't remember) gas suburban and the '03 F150 4x4 I had running empty, and those are hand calculated figures.

mike3fan

Same exact trailer,pulled on the same trip to Talladega I avg 8.9 in the Hemi and 12.2 with the Cummins,and the cummins never flinched on the grades.Diesel is a much better option imo.

I have a 2008 Chevy 2500HD gas six spead, 373 rear end, pulling a Bighorn 3055. Just finished a 3000 mile trip to South Dakota and Wyoming. Average mpg for the trip was 9.5 mpg. The truck did a great job. Just couldn't see the price tag for the diesel.

CEMILL
Highland, IL.

Jburks

I was pulling a 26' SOB with a dually Chevy with a 454 and auto trans and was getting a consistant 7.5 mpg, decided 3 years ago to trade, went to the 05 Duramax/Allison combo noticed an immediate improvement in fuel mileage with the 26' then we stepped up to a Sundance 2900MK, we were getting 14-15 mpg with the 26' and we are getting the same with our Sundance, but there is so much better power with the Duramax that it was well worth the price difference.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
I disagree. Do the math. The fuel mileage difference makes a big difference in the cost even with diesel $0.45 more per gallon on national average. It even makes a difference on my wifes Jetta TDI that gets 45 mpg without even trying to get good fuel economy, the typical small cars of the same size only get about 30 mpg..... Sorry, it's a lot of fun to drive when that turbo kicks in, bet I could get over 50mpg if I drove it like my truck LOL

Just about everyone I speak to pulling a fifth wheel with a gas engine says they get about 6-7 mpg and the diesel guys typically say 10-11 mpg. Using these figures here is the cost for a 1000 mile trip.

Gasoline 166 gallons @ 6mpg = $616 @ $3.70 per gallon national average
Diesel 100 gallons @ 10mpg = $415 @ $4.15 per gallon national average

Savings of diesel over gas for 1000 miles = $201. The gasser would have to get 8mpg just to equal and pull ahead of the diesel by a whopping $4

Me, I get 14-15 mpg pulling mid profile fifth wheels like the Hearland Sundance and Keystone Cougar running speeds 58-62 mph. That's better than my dads 200? (can't remember) gas suburban and the '03 F150 4x4 I had running empty, and those are hand calculated figures.

Thanks for showing me the light pmmjarrett. I knew the fuel mileage was better in my diesel but didn't know it was that much better per your info.:)

pmmjarrett

Thanks for showing me the light pmmjarrett. I knew the fuel mileage was better in my diesel but didn't know it was that much better per your info.:)

Wasn't trying to single ya out. Just want people to realize you have to look beyond the pump price to see real value to determine whether or not to pay the premium for the diesel engine option.

For some people like snowbirds that only move a trailer twice a year, an inexpensive used gasser or even to hire somebody like me to move it is the more economical choice.

For somebody that drives a lot of miles like a full timer that's traveling or somebody that uses the truck for work as well as play the diesel is more than likely the best choice.

Now for somebody that flat out abuses a truck like me running more miles a month than most do in a year... I'd be a fool to buy a gasser.

P.S....... I like being able to cruise up a big mountain with ease listening to the turbo scream like a jet engine while dragging a 12k lb 35'+ trailer passing gassers that are struggling with much smaller or even no load.;)

camperken

Tow vehicle s a 2001 2500HD 8.1 with allison trans. Have installed cold air system. Has anyone insalled dual exhaust and did it help to increase mileage? Is it worth doinig?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Tow vehicle s a 2001 2500HD 8.1 with allison trans. Have installed cold air system. Has anyone insalled dual exhaust and did it help to increase mileage? Is it worth doinig?
Camperken, I had the same year and combination before moving up to "BART". I found the biggest power increase was the addition of a throttle body spacer. I had Air Aide intake and throttle body spacer. I did add a Magnaflow single exhaust but I think it only added noise, especially while towing at highway speeds. The resonance in the cab was pretty annoying.

pmmjarrett

Biggest fuel economy gains are usually found by controlling your right foot. Easy on the pedal when taking off, time traffic lights so you roll through without stopping completely and just plain slow down. When you increase your speed from 55 mph to 75 mph the wind load on an rv increases greatly and is 250% higher at 75 mph.:eek: The single biggest factor affecting fuel economy above 50 mph is aerodynamics, below 50 mph it's tires.

IMHO a chip/tuner with an economy/tow program would make a bigger difference in mpg than exhaust mods.

Of course when I played with gassers years ago I always found the best free source of HP was to remove the CATNone

Me, I'd chip it, put in an inexpensive CAT "test" pipe and save the cat for when you have to do any emmissions testing;)

samtoby

I have the exact same trailer and pull it with a 2005 GMC 1500 HD (which is the same as the 2500). I have the 6.0 L gas. The only mods i have done to the truck is a stainless steel exhaust, throttle body spacer, cold air intake and a Predator prgrammer. It has plenty of power to pull that trailer, assuming you plan your trip based on the gas stations as it likes to drink it. I get about 8mpg pulling the trailer.

markandrenita

We are legally and safely towing and stopping a 34005l 2008 with a 2006 chvy diesel/ allison crewcab. We have now pulled over 11 mountain passes. Lots of power. Get a diesel!

HOSS

When you make the switch to a diesel, especially the duramax/allison combo, you want go back to a gasser ever. Dollar for dollar you will be ahead of the game in any situation. I bought the 2008 Chevy 3500 Crew cab with the Duramax/Allison, with the 3.73. I don't hesitate to hook up to anything and give it a go. Pulling the BH 3670rl with quad slides and all our stuff is a breeze. That's my story and I am sticking to it!

We have a 2006 Ford F350, DRW, Lariat, Towing Package, SuperCab, 6.0 Diesel (Engine is good--checked on Oasis Report and CarFax). How much can I pull when we buy a 5th wheel.

Still learning but looking forward to retirement

sandman

Hey guys i am pulling the basic same trailer 29 rk sundance two slides with 08 250 superduty 4x4 deisel, pulles it real easy about 13 to 14 mpg love it
bye

azbound

A thought if you are like many of us you will fall in love with the Rv life. If this happens you may want to upgrade to a larger 5er, if you do you will out grow a 3/4 ton. This is exactly what happen to us, in 2005 bought a new 30 ft. 5er and a Chevy 3/4 ton Diesel, in 2008 bought a new BH 3400RL and a Chevy 1 ton diesel. Costly error on my part.

As you can see both times I went with Chevy diesel. They are wonderful trucks. I thought the 05 was great but the 6 speed Alison is a great improvement.

Just something to think about.

HOSS

Ireland92834, You should not have any problem pulling the biggest 5fer out there with that F350.