Type of hitch for a 2006 2500HD 4x4 Short Bed Crew Cab

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
HD, can you give us little more information. You are thinking of moving what back 22". The pin box or the hitch?? Im not sure if I would do either. What type/size TV do you have? Bob:D

HD_RoadDog

It was early this morning and apparently I did not have enough coffee to think properly and include enough information for others to help me sorry about that.
I completely overlooked the fact that I was considering using a sidewinder 19K pin box in place of the factory unit. It locks the pin point at the hitch and in turn pivots where it connects to the RV which in the case of the 19K is 22" from the captive pin point on the fifth wheel hitch. I have a extended cab short bed truck and I am worried that I may not be able to turn sharp enough to get into my drive and the drive way access is on a small grade that might also shorten clearance to the rear of the cab.
I have opted to purchase a Air Safe 24K 5th wheel hitch with the Holland head so it will be a fixed mount not a slider. Just want to make sure I do not contact the cab and RV. Repairs can add up to allot more than the additional $900 to put the sidewinder pin box in place of the factory one. Looking for a little peace of mind
Thanks in advance for any input on the subject.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
HD, good infomation. You had me worried that you were going to mount the hitch on the tailgate. Talk about headlites in the trees. OK, now that the poking fun is over. What is the length of the OEM hitch "pin" compared to the sidewinder? An inch or so longer will probably not hurt anything. Most aftermarket hitches are a little longer at the pin. Even with my S/B chebby C/C with a Mor/Ryde pin box, I have never come close to hitting the back glass on a 90* turn. I have a manual slider, but have never used it. An air ride pin box and hitch are a lot of $$$$$$$. You do what makes you feel comfortable, its your rig. Good luck Bob:D:D

HD_RoadDog

Thanks for the input Bob. I have already ordered the airsafe hitch I know the cost is greater upfront but hopefully it will pay dividends in wear and tear in both the TV, RV and driver down the road. As for the pin box they make one without the air-ride as for the length I would have to check on that I believe they are the same length as the factory but don't quote me on that. The big advantage is the turret that allows it to turn where it connects to the RV that is 22" further back.
I had to chuckle about the tailgate mount! :eek:
This is my first fifth wheel have a Keystone Hobbi tag-along now it's a whole lot shorter and not a problem getting in my yard, I have yet to back a 5er up it may turn better than I expect but then again the 3612 is about 12' longer. :rolleyes:
I may be worried over nothing about backing it into my driveway. But if I were to get the sidewinder it would be the lesser expensive version that just pivots under the RV less the air bag and shock. Still on the fence about that maybe further input will lean me one way or the other.
Thanks again.

Northern Virginia
Does anyone know what type of Hitch I need in my truck for a 40 foot Landmark, the Oakmont model?

I hear and see in the fine print that a slider is not needed for the 2010 Landmark. My truck a 2006 2500HD Crew Cab Chev, Duramax has the short bed on it. The brochure says the short bed extended cab. The salesman says it will make the turn to 80 degrees as opposed to 88 degrees, 80 seems like enough. Any comments anywhere would be appreciated. How about the the B&W 3000 or B&W 3050 a 22K hitch sitting on a 30K pull cert? The Companion Series.

I have the same truck (2008) and a Landmark Augusta. I have a 20k Reese hitch (non slider). I can turn very sharp. Backing into my driveway I get to about 75 degrees. Do I get nervous making tight turns? Yes. But I always go slow and take my time. So far so good.

BTW the 2500HD diesel pulls, handles and stops our camper great.

John

caissiel

I had a Short bed GM on my trailers for 12 years and the 5th wheel was set on Axle center. Because the truck was short wheel base of 142", I never had to cut real sharp or close to the cab though my trailer was 34ft long. But with Ford or Dodge short boxes I would have never survived because they have much shorter distance to the cab. I now have a long wheel base F250 and I do have to cut much sharper in areas that I never needed with the short wheelbase truck. Remember that TT trailers are much longer setups and the turning is hardly above 60Deg.

Northern Virginia
The GMC/Chevy 2500HD crew cab has a wheel base of 153 inches. It's ten inches longer than the same 1500 series truck (143")

John