Urbanna, VA Rally Discussion Thread

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Ditto on using 301 if possible. The bridge over the Potomac River is a bit daunting at first - just don't look down. I have to take I95 S to US17 because of my location in Northern VA, but would use 301 otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JJnVA

135 days and counting down until the National Rally! Time to get started on making those special baby items for a popular "Heartland Gives Back" initiative. Many of you will remember it as "Babies Wrapped in Love", but it now has a new name of "Heartland Baby Blessings". For those of you not familiar with this project, HOC members put their love and talents into sewing, knitting, crocheting or buying baby items to give to those families in need in the community where we are rallying.

So, let the handcrafting begin on baby items for the "Three Rivers Healthy Families" program in Urbanna, Virginia. There will be an event at the June Rally to present the baby items to some of the mothers and program director.

Guidelines to help you get started:
Baby items needed: blankets, caps, booties, sleep sacks, buntings or cocoons with hats, bibs, burp pads
-baby items can be crocheted, knitted, quilted, sewn, fleece tied, or store bought
-choose a soft, washable fabric or soft acrylic yarn. Colors should be age appropriate, colorful, bright, and cheerful.
-some approximate blanket sizes for guidelines only:
Newborn baby - 36"x36"
Toddler - 36" x 40-45"
-If possible, finished items should be stored in a ziplock bag or other closed container in a pet-free, smoke-free environment. Items should be in individual sealed bags when donated at the Rally in June.
-If you are interested in donating store bought items, I will post later this Spring a list of other items that the parents need for their babies.

I will be coordinating "Heartland Baby Blessings" for this year's rally, so feel free to PM me with any questions. Really looking forward to seeing all of the beautiful baby items our HOC members create to keep babies warm in 2014!

Judi Barnett (HOC member #1689).

VAbow

Keith, I-64 I a good interstate. Not sure where it meets 35. The Afton mountain grade is long but they have a truck lane going up.Been over it with my Duramax with no problem..

Kbvols

Art, thanks for the information I appreciate. 35 meets 64 around Charleston, WV.

Keith, I-64 I a good interstate. Not sure where it meets 35. The Afton mountain grade is long but they have a truck lane going up.Been over it with my Duramax with no problem..

MCTalley

Gary, we live in Northwest Oh approx 1.5 hours southwest of Toledo. I was looking at 75 south to Dayton then 35 east then I 64. I have never been on I-64 . In doing some research there seems to be at least one long grade of 8% if my memory is right. Perhaps someone who has traveled I -64 would let us know how that road is.

We did I-64 from Virginia into KY last summer. I don't seem to remember any issues at all with climbs. We had an '02 F350 pulling our 15.5k unit and don't remember any slow, hard grinds up any major hills. Surface-wise, I remember it being fairly good.

JJnVA

I will get my mother and her friends started on some blankets. I hope to get at least three by rally time.

Wonderful! Let's keep the conversation going on the Forum and get the word out wherever we can! Goal of 225 baby items for this event.

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
I have posted the Heartland Baby Blessings information on our Northeast Region Facebook Group page. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help besides tying a few blankets!

I think you should begin a new thread with all your information so the girls can easily locate or subscribe to it. The things you post here will quickly get lost amongst other topics. Just a suggestion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

wfwilson

Founding Canadian Region Director - Retired
I am looking for road information. Before the national rally in June I will be in Fayetteville WV. Google maps takes me across the Midland Trail State road 60 with part of it being Cty road 20. Is this trail ok to take with a large BH and F350 i.e. bends and width of roads? Would I be better to follow I77 down to Cross on I64? We don't mind travelling scenic roads provided they can handle the size of the rig.
Any assistance would be appreciated,
Reards
Wayne

wfwilson

Founding Canadian Region Director - Retired
Agree with Dave. I77 to I64 would be my choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Dave and boatto5er I appreciate the info. I will do that and drop to I-77 and I-64
Regard and safe travels!
Wayne

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Has registration started? My email has been scetchy
Not yet. The registration has not yet been tested, but I suspect it will open up in a few weeks.
Even if your email is questionable, it will be posted here on the forum.

Peace
Dave

szewczyk_john

Making plans on attending this rally and I know that registration is not yet opened but is there a ball park idea on the campground rates per night for both the rally and pre-rally? Any idea so that we can start planning how many days we can afford? I also wonder if we can get a better rate for a few days following the rally for anyone that wants to stay in the area longer. Any info would be helpful in the planning. Beth page's site has a daily rate of $75 for a site or $85 for a super site (which is not defined) hopefully we can get that negotiated down.

jbeletti

Making plans on attending this rally and I know that registration is not yet opened but is there a ball park idea on the campground rates per night for both the rally and pre-rally? Any idea so that we can start planning how many days we can afford? I also wonder if we can get a better rate for a few days following the rally for anyone that wants to stay in the area longer. Any info would be helpful in the planning. Beth page's site has a daily rate of $75 for a site or $85 for a super site (which is not defined) hopefully we can get that negotiated down.

John - rally rate for camping nights is $40 and will be built into the rally fee (3 nights). Pre-rally will be Sunday through Wednesday nights (4) and will be at rally rate of $40 plus tax. One night of post-rally (Sunday) will also be available at rally rate of $40 plus tax.

For all: The Rally Portal is being programmed right now. Keep checking it for more details. A draft agenda has been added too. It's REAL drafty and even includes stuff from the last Goshen rally. Working on it but wanted to start getting some info up. LINK to RALLY PORTAL.

Last edited by a moderator:

szewczyk_john

Thanks for the info. I was thinking that we would be offered a discount but to get a 46% discount off of their nightly rate was not expected. I do tip my hat to you, and thank you, that will be more than enough to allow my family extra days at the resort. Awesome job.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
John, what route are you planning to take. We plan on leaving after work on Friday and staying a night somewhere around Winchester Va. Not sure yet. Planning on spending the week there exploring the area.

Jamie

szewczyk_john

I go to VA at least four times a year for NASCAR at both Richmond and Martinsville. They are my favorite two tracks. I'm in Pittsburgh so I run the PA turnpike to Breezewood, to 70, to 81 over 64, to 95 to get to Richmond. I have not looked at a route yet, but I know 66 also runs towards the DC beltway to hook up with 95. I also know that from 66 there is a route 17 that cuts south avoiding the beltway but I have not been on that route with my current unit. I last ran that way about 5 years ago with a travel trailer. With the fifth wheel i prefer to stick to major interstates if I can and do not mind paying some tolls.

jnbhobe

I take I-70 to US-522 to Winchester,Va. then I-81 to Rt-17 to Urbanna, Va. Its good with or without the trailer.