Verifying Refer Operation

tcfake613

Went out today to fire up the fridge for the maiden voyage of the 3685RL next weekend. I have the Norcold double door with ice maker. Hit the power and set it to AUTO. Cycled through AC and LP and fired up on LP. Hmmm... that's odd... I'm plugged into AC and all other AC seems to be working. Puzzled... Hit the button to force it to AC and it starts beeping at me, NO AC.

Remembered a previous rig where there was an AC outlet in rear of the fridge behind the vent hatch. Proceeded outsite to check this and lo and behold, I spy an empty A/C outlet. It's kindof far back so I stick my arm in elbow deep to feel around and found an AC plug... matter of fact... found TWO AC plugs neither of which were plugged in. There is a white plug and a black plug. Can anyone verify what the second plug is for? Is it the icemaker? Why separate AC for an icemaker??.... but maybe that's the way they are built. If I am dry camping, I assume the ice maker will not run under 12 volt, correct?

Can anyone clarify?

Thanks in advance.

wdk450

Tim:
All you say is correct, and the icemaker will NOT work without 110 VAC. Icemakers are kind of generic with gearmotors and heaters, and nobody I know of makes one with a 12 volt DC electrical system.
If you are drycamping, a small generator is a good idea to keep the 12 volt batteries charged, or if you want to use your TV or microwave.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Tim, I'm not familiar with the Norcold but on the Dometics, the black one should trace back to the area below the control board. The power for the ice maker should come from the same circuit but maybe the Norcold is different. Did you get an Owners Manual or Installation Manual? You should be able to get more info in them.

jbeletti

Tim,

I don't know which is which, but yes, one must be refer and the other the icemaker. Both were plugged in when I received my coach. But I have received other coaches with the AC unplugged.

Jim

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
By the way. Check it frequently. On old previous RV, I actually had the reefer plug vibrate out of the plug!