Vinyl cover over back window

patrick1945

We are considering a snap-on cover for the large aft window of our Bighorn. We would remove it when we travel and when we use the FW.

It sounds plausible that one of these items would increase the life on the blinds.

Any experience that anyone would share?

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Can't share anything positive, but after experiencing 100degree sun shining directly on that window this weekeend, it sounds like a fantastic idea. I told DW we had to get something on that rear window. Was thinking reflective coating, but the vinyl cover sounds good too.

At the Tampa RV show, there's a company that always sets up outside the exhibit hall Heartland is in. This year, I had him measure the back window of a Landmark and give me a price on a vinyl RV sunscreen. Hit use suction cup-style mounts and stiffener bars where needed. The quote I got at that show was about $128 for the big window. I felt for quality material and that big of a window, it was a decent price.

Tell him the Heartland guy sent you. Not sure if that will make your cost higher or what :)

Prompt RV Sunscreen
Bill Rex, President
5600 Commercial Blvd.
Winter Haven, FL 33880
877-965-1533
info@rv-snscreen.com
www.rvsunscreen.com

nscaler2

We bought at roll of the silvery bubbly stuff like they use in car windshields to block the sun. Bought it at a Campingworld store. It looks like it also available on line. http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/multi-purpose-foil-4-x-10/32167

Just cut it to fit the inside of our back window and attach it to the window, when needed, with velcro along the edges of the window frame. It works wonders to keep things cool, when the sun comes from that direction.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
At the Tampa RV show, there's a company that always sets up outside the exhibit hall Heartland is in. This year, I had him measure the back window of a Landmark and give me a price on a vinyl RV sunscreen. Hit use suction cup-style mounts and stiffener bars where needed. The quote I got at that show was about $128 for the big window. I felt for quality material and that big of a window, it was a decent price.

Tell him the Heartland guy sent you. Not sure if that will make your cost higher or what :)

Prompt RV Sunscreen
Bill Rex, President
5600 Commercial Blvd.
Winter Haven, FL 33880
877-965-1533
info@rv-snscreen.com
www.rvsunscreen.com

Thanks for the info Jim. I was really looking for one that pulls down similar to a window shade. That is the type that Carefree makes. We had one on our Alfa and it worked great, did the job, was easy to use and did not block the view from the inside out. Just cut the heat and brightness.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We tried this film a couple of years ago and are very pleased with the results. Click Here. I've included a picture of the rear window which at the time had only the top half finished. The viewing difference between top & bottom is noticeable but the heat blocked is pretty amazing. I didn't record the numbers at the time but my non contact meter showed about a 30 degree difference. Also, it's safe for dual pane. The main reason we went with film was once it's applied, there's no more to do. Nothing to break, fix or mess with. Since doing the rear window, I've also done the bedroom (dark tint) and the desk window.

Attachments

• Window Film.jpg
    Window Film.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 92

Wharton

We put the silvery stuff on all our windows when in storage, rather than using velcro we bought some J channel, cut it into 3" pieces, put 2-3 per window and the silvery stuff just rests on ti for storage. You can buy the silver stuff in 18", 24" and 48" rolls at Lowes. I think we did all the windows on our 3670 with one roll of 48", do a little thinking before cutting to get all the windows out of 1 roll.

I like the idea of the film on the back window. Think I will go get that nd put it on.

Dave

Traveling Two
I have a snap-on sunscreen that is rated to block out 90% of sun rays. We winter in southern texas and the back of our unit faces west. It greatly reduces the heat in the unit. But it also does cut down on the light. I leave it on even while traveling. The instaler guaranteed it would not blow off while traveling. Have made two trips back from Southern Texas and have not lost it yet. I highly recommend it.

jmgratz

I have a snap-on sunscreen that is rated to block out 90% of sun rays. We winter in southern texas and the back of our unit faces west. It greatly reduces the heat in the unit. But it also does cut down on the light. I leave it on even while traveling. The instaler guaranteed it would not blow off while traveling. Have made two trips back from Southern Texas and have not lost it yet. I highly recommend it.

Do you have pictures? And where did you get it done?

I had it installed in Southern Texas at a flea market. Cost $150. Including installation. He drilled in snaps and the screen just snaps on. I dont naave any photos. will you be at Nashville Rally?

jmgratz

I had it installed in Southern Texas at a flea market. Cost $150. Including installation. He drilled in snaps and the screen just snaps on. I dont naave any photos. will you be at Nashville Rally?

Wont be in Nashville but I think I have seen something similar to what you are talking about on SOBs

patrick1945

I just heard of RV sunshade and contacted them and was quoted $298 installed in Florida at my place. I think it would be considerably less if I brought the BH to him but I am not likely to do that..

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
I bought 1" styrofoam with foil on one side from lowe's and installed it in 3 bedroom windows, several others in the bighorn and on the upper part of the big rear window. Used spray paint(good for plastic) on the outside foil part of the foam board. Ran duct tape around the edges to seal it and it just fits tight into the window. We keep it up during the summer in south louisiana and it really knocks down the heat.