Want to make wood valances for our new 3160EL

rono

We pick up our new 3160EL in 2 weeks. I am wanting to make wooden valances like in the landmark for our Bighorn. So I was wondering if anyone could tell me what kind of wood and stain color to use to match the rest of the coach. Otherwise I will attempt to build valances like in our 2012 3070RL which were made from particle board with cloth overlay. I guess another name for these is lambreiganes. Not sure of the spelling there.

DougS

Doug S
rono, I'm not sure if you are talking about the top horizontal window dressing or the vertical side window dressings. We made side vertical window dressings made of plywood covered with black vinyl to match the black window frames. We were going to make them out of stained wood, but the better half made the decision to use black vinyl and now that they are up, we both think it was the better choice. We both agree this one of our better mods. We never could figure out by the side verticals were made so short.
Sorry for the sideways picture, I can't seem to turn the picture.

Attachments

• IMG_2359.jpg
    IMG_2359.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_2358.jpg
    IMG_2358.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 100

paulh

rono -

I believe most of the wood trims are a soft maple. I would also call Heartland Parts and give them your vin # and they will give you the stain color of which you can buy a minimum of 1 qt. Here's a look at our privacy trims that my wife and I did in 3/16" plywood and fabric for some ideas too. Paul

Attachments

• #1.jpg
    #1.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 99
  • #2.jpg
    #2.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 89
  • #3.jpg
    #3.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 91
  • #4.jpg
    #4.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 89
  • #5.jpg
    #5.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 90
  • #6.jpg
    #6.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 79
  • #7.jpg
    #7.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 71

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
When I replaced the old Day/Night shades with vertical blinds, I made new valances from 1/2" Baltic Birch plywood. I salvaged the fabric from the original valances and used it to cover the new ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pegmikef

When I replaced the old Day/Night shades with vertical blinds, I made new valances from 1/2" Baltic Birch plywood. I salvaged the fabric from the original valances and used it to cover the new ones.

I did basically the same thing John did one the couple that I had to replace when we went to new shades. I just copied one of the existing valances and I recall using 1/4" plywood with some small blocks to reinforce the corner joints. We then covered it with padding and fabric that matched the other valances.

Attachments

• valance.JPG
    valance.JPG
    234.1 KB · Views: 64

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
I love what ya'll have done but being a lady, I can't wrap my mind around how you did the plywood frame (I'm not real crafty at all). Did ya glue the plywood together or use a medal bracket to secure the wood together before attaching to the window trim? How wide of a cut did ya make each section? Our LM's MCD shades are starting to cup so I don't feel as secure about them doing their job correctly.
B--

rono

Thanks all for the replies. I had thought about doing it that way too. Since we still have our 3070 in the driveway (holding for couple who bought it) I thought I would measure and pattern them since they are made the way you guys did. That way I don't have to worry about the wood type and color and I can use the material from the curtains when I take them down.

rono

Thanks all for the replies. I had thought about doing it that way too. Since we still have our 3070 in the driveway (holding for couple who bought it) I thought I would measure and pattern them since they are made the way you guys did. That way I don't have to worry about the wood type and color and I can use the material from the curtains when I take them down.

Well scratch that idea wife saw the wood window trim on sob and really wants that so it's back to finding what wood Heartland uses and the stain color.