WARNING !!! replacement! Fastec lock set failed

B

BouseBill

WARNING!!!!

Installed replacement Fastec lock set per their recall instructions three weeks ago. Everything was fine until late yesterday afternoon. The boss lady came home and tried to unlock the door.......nothing....The key would not go all the way into the dead bolt lock for some reason. Luckily she had no real emergency reason to get in the 5er. I came home about 45 minutes later and tried my key. The key would not go all the way into the dead bolt lock. We had left a window open in the rear end cap so I was able to get my ladder and climb in. The deadbolt lock would NOT unlock from the inside either. I had to use a phillips screw drive to dismantle the door latch and lock set to get the door to open. I thought this was the reason for the initial recall to begin with? Glad it failed when we were both out of the rig and not at night when a real emergency happened because we would have been locked in with no way out other than the emergency exits.
I tried calling Fastec but got their answering machine. I guess they were closed already on a Friday afternoon so I'll have to try them again on Monday.

Kinda scary that the replacement lock set failed. I hope we didn't jump out of the frying pan into the fire with this little project.:(

danemayer

Apart from the recall, I seem to remember a similar problem caused by too shallow an opening for the deadbolt, causing it to bind when locked.

dix36

Was glad for prompt service from Fastec in sending replacement lock sets. Installed my replacements two days ago.

Went out to do some things in it today. The handle lock opened with no problem. Had trouble getting deadbolt lock to accept the key. Finally did and managed to get the door opened. Key was very difficult to remove. Then, when I tried to reinsert it......NO JOY!!!! I probably spent about 15 minutes retrying but to no avail. In my case, the flap that covers the lock opening cannot be moved.

Sure am glad it opened before it clammed up. There were no windows open and short of breaking a window, or removing one, no way in to remove the lock assembly.

So, will try to contact them soonest. Gotta wonder.....what's up with that???

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I have my replacement set but haven't installed it yet due to the weather. The current lockset hasn't shown the problem, so I think I might wait a bit to see what shakes out here. I was able to get to the rig today and it does not exhibit the failure mode of removing the key in the counter clockwise position.

In regards to the deadbolt travel, one of the first things I had to do was drill a hole in the aluminum frame so the deadbolt could fully extend beyond the thin door flange.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
I believe the original problem was the key being able to be removed in the wrong position which would not allow the deadbolt to be opened from the inside. The key could be reinserted and turned to open the deadbolt or if the key was removed in the proper position the deadbolt would function normally from the inside.
Sounds like a whole new can of worms has been opened!

B

BouseBill

Neile, I'm afraid that may be the case. I hope Fastec can get a handle on the situation.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
So the temporary solution is to not lock the door from the outside if someone is remaining inside. That's something we haven't done in five seasons of using it.

gebills

We received the Fastec lock cylinders roughly two months back, and finally got to a dry location in the SW. Neither of the two old lock sets would budge when trying to remove them. Initially treated the lock sets with graphite; that didn’t work. Then tried LPS1 and LPS2; that didn’t work. Finallysprayed a Corrosion Pro lubricant that we use on the marine doors on ships andwas finally able to get the lower deadbolt cylinder out andreplaced it. Kept working on the upper(flap handle) lock cylinder and “it aint comin’ out short of drilling”. I called Fastec during this process and therepresentative suggested using graphite; been there, done that. I’ll be calling them again to let them knowit’s not budging. I think I’m just aboutready to order the JT Guardian lock system; like..... tomorrow morning.....

B

BouseBill

Called Fastec this morning concerning the failure of the replacement lock set. The lady who answered the phone was most apologetic and said she would send a replacement lock set out to us.
Just hope this is not a recurring problem with this companies products. I did look at the JT Guardian lock set and that is an avenue to consider if Fastec becomes unreliable. Although it is a bit steep on price. You'd at least expect them to throw in free shipping for that much;)

caissiel

Had a problem with ours for 3 years and replaced it before the recall. The new one has worked like a charm. For the last year.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

dix36

Made a call to Fastec yesterday morning. Nice Lady on the other end said she'd pass along the problems I had and would send out replacement lock sets for me to install. Sure hope they send ideas on how to get the deadbolt lock set out since I can't get a key in the opening. Don't know if it'll come out if I remove the entire thing.

dix36

Well, it happened yesterday morning. Tried to exit coach and the dead bolt would not open. So.......had to completely dismantle the lock to get the door open. Didn't get a chance to call Fastec yesterday but plan on doing so today.

My advice is to never lock the door from the inside if you do not have a phillips head screw driver inside your coach!!!!

B

BouseBill

I don't know which would be more difficult for someone getting "older" climbing in a window or climbing out. I know climbing in was a real PITA for some 60+ years old LOL

Tried to call Fastec this morning, No one answers and their voice mail box if full.........hummmmmmmmm. I guess I'll try next week, maybe someone there will have had time to check the voice mail box.

Last edited:
B

BouseBill

Still no new lock cylinders....getting ready to hit the road northbound, maybe they will catch up with us in WA one of these days.

dix36

Gotta wonder if Fastec is a real company. I'll give 'em credit for trying but their boatload of gremlins is surely something!

Because of my last issue (Post #13) they were nice enough to send a whole replacement door lock assembly. I installed it and to my surprise...the supplied keys will lock the deadbolt but will not lock the flapper! What a comedy of errors!!! Tried to call and report it. And, as has been said...the mailbox was full. Will try on another day. The saga continues...........

B

BouseBill

Lock cylinder set came in the mail Saturday, heading North on Sunday (Today) so will have to wait until we get to WA to see about installing the replacement locks for the replacement locks, hope they work a little longer than the first set LOL

B

BouseBill

OK, tried to replace the lock cylinder set today. and of course the blue key which removes the lock cylinder will NOT go all the the way into the cylinder, therefore the culinder will not come out. Tried calling Fastec but of course being Friday afternoon no one answers their telephone.

If anyone else had this problem what was the recommended solution from Fastec? I just can't see how the blue key can be made to go in without a 9 # sledge and a couple good hits :D

Bill

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
I took the lock apart and removed the cylinder. Reassembled the lock without the cylinder and reinstalled the cylinder the using the blue key in the new cylinder.