Warping wood trim

Squatty

My 2013 Mesa has a problem with warping wood trim that serves as the vent cover for the furnace return air plenum. When I went through my initial walk-through at the dealer, I noticed it was warped about 1/4" in the middle. I put it on my "fix list" for the dealer, and they ordered a replacement from the factory. It came and I mounted it with no problems. Now, 5 1/2 months later, this one is warped even worse - ~1/2". Additionally, the decorative cover (similar in design and appearance to the furnace vent) above the light switch closet is warping.
I think it is probably due to incomplete drying a the kiln, but not sure. Has anybody had any similar problems? I plan on contacting the factory and supplying pictures if needed, but thought I would see if anybody on the Forum had similar problems, and could offer solutions.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If it was flat to the wall surface when you put it on and it warped away over time, it probably absorbed moisture from the humid air around it (assuming it's real wood). Take a look on the back side of it to see if it's been varnished same as the show side. If not, try laying it on some newspaper (concave side down) for a few days until it flattens, then apply varnish to seal it.

But real wood, even kiln-dried, will move if there's enough moisture in the air and there's no finish on it.

Squatty

John, Thanks. That does make sense. Since this is a repeat type of problem, am I to assume the factory did not varnish the back side of any of these covers and everybody in a humid location will suffer the same problems? If so, I think the factory needs to know so they can fix this. I will give your solution a try, but based on the amount of warp, I don't think it will return to the original state.

jbeletti

I had one replaced once that was warped. My current coach has been in service for 9 months in many kinds of weather and humidity levels and no warping. I like the idea of flattening and revarnishing. Maybe that's the fix for you. Short of that, if you want to try a 3rd piece, feel free to contact Customer Service to discuss at 877-262-8032.

TeJay

John's reply was right on. Wood will absorb moisture and it can't be stopped. If only one side is sealed the unsealed side will absorb more and cause warping. If both sides are sealed they will absorb the same amount and usually not warp. Ply and particle board are inherently more stable because of the cross grain (ply) or no grain pattern. They still need to be sealed to reduce absorption. Getting a warped board to dry properly may be difficult. Newspaper and maybe a hot iron would help. Putting it in an oven at as low a heat as you can achieve might work. Use your worst panel and try the oven trick first. Support the ends and weight the middle after it's dry to take out the bow.

TeJay

bdb2047

Ours had warped at middle and cracked at 2 places.It was screwed in at 4 corners and bowed out in middle cracked top and bottom.I removed and glued cracks.I put it back with 6 screws 3 top and bottom I also slotted holes a little to allow movement.Has not warped or cracked since has been about a year.

Squatty

I had one replaced once that was warped. My current coach has been in service for 9 months in many kinds of weather and humidity levels and no warping. I like the idea of flattening and revarnishing. Maybe that's the fix for you. Short of that, if you want to try a 3rd piece, feel free to contact Customer Service to discuss at 877-262-8032.

Tried to slowly flatten the real bad one and thought I had it pretty flat. Added two screws to the middle and it cracked. Also discovered one of the regular dinning chairs was coming apart at the joint. Called Heartland's Customer Service Department and he very quickly directed me to my Dealer. Didn't even have a chance to give him my VIN. Now that's customer service! Not a real happy camper right now.

gschaaf

I had same problem with my 2011 bighorn I had heartland send me a new one and I put 6 screws in it and it has been fine since about 2 yrs.

Try $3328.00 worth of water damage due to manufacturing not putting silicone on slide trim outside pieces and make sue you check your refer outside inspection cover and I mean take the whole thing off. Water was going between the wall and outside fiberglass for three years before detected . Got the brush off from cs said past the 2yr warranty and insurance would not cover it because it was not accident related

Squatty

I had same problem with my 2011 bighorn I had heartland send me a new one and I put 6 screws in it and it has been fine since about 2 yrs.

Unfortunately, I couldn't get past the guy telling me to bring it to my Dealer for all warranty problems. I would have loved it if I could have at least requested a new one and talked to someone about the chair. Nobody wanted to listen to my plea. I'm not sure what the CS telephone number is for - unless it is for Dealers to use. Its sad to have someone come by to admire my beautiful unit and have to explain away the warped trim and busted chair while still telling them I really like the quality.

danemayer

Unfortunately, I couldn't get past the guy telling me to bring it to my Dealer for all warranty problems. I would have loved it if I could have at least requested a new one and talked to someone about the chair. Nobody wanted to listen to my plea. I'm not sure what the CS telephone number is for - unless it is for Dealers to use. Its sad to have someone come by to admire my beautiful unit and have to explain away the warped trim and busted chair while still telling them I really like the quality.

Squatty, sounds like you talked to one person who for whatever reason was not very helpful. While the usual path for repairs is through the dealer, it's not unreasonable to ask Heartland to send you something like a piece of replacement trim, if that's what you want. Same with the chair, if it can't be fixed easily, although they might have to call the chair vendor for that.

Give them another call.

Squatty

I just received a nice email from Matt Cameron (Heartland Parts Mgr) saying they were ordering both grills and a dinnete chair for me. That IS Customer Service. My thanks to anyone who helped this to happen.
I am, once again, a Happy Camper!