Warranty Work

JohnEM38

I'm seriously considering buying a Bighorn 3160 from a national wholesaler. They are approximately 600 miles from my home. My question is, how hard is it to get warranty work done locally, say at Camping World?

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Any Heartland dealer CAN do the work, but some have a policy to service their customers first.

However, you can have anyone do work, even non-Heartland dealers, if you call Heartland to obtain approval before the work is done. Even mobile RV repair can be used , though HL may not pay for the trip charge.

This is probably a better plan, as independent service centers are geared toward happy and repeat customers, vs. making trailer sales.

You can also call HL and ask for recommended service centers near you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

I'm seriously considering buying a Bighorn 3160 from a national wholesaler. They are approximately 600 miles from my home. My question is, how hard is it to get warranty work done locally, say at Camping World?
Many of us have bought long distance and have found local shops to do warranty work. Erika has given you some good suggestions and you should investigate local service options ahead of time.

Based on posts about service experiences, my impression is that Camping World locations are unpredictable on quality of service and customer relations. Some people report good experience at their location. Some report horrible experiences at their location. There have also been a number of comments about turnover of employees at Camping World locations that add to the unpredictability over time at any given location. You might be fortunate to have a good service location near you, but as Erika mentioned, if there's an independent near you, you might have a more predictable experience.

Something else to consider: many dealers are responding to the competitive pressure of long-distance "wholesalers." You may be able to use your quote as a negotiating tool with your local dealer.

dave10a

Beware that some dealers, including Heartland dealers, do not like to service trailers that they did not sell. They do not refuse your service, but they make long wait and repair times as well as making appointments months into the future.

donr827

I have always used independent repair shops or mobile repair mechanics. Usually have to pay upfront but the work done was always good.
Don

sengli

We bought ours at a wholesale place, and two of our local dealers refused to even look at our rig, once they realized they didnt sell it. Luckily my warranty issue's were something I could take care of on my own. Its a reality you do need to consider. But one the other side of this issue, we saved $15K upfront.

We purchased our rig from a national wholesaler located 1100 miles away. Still saved $8,000 over buying local even after paying $2,000 for delivery. We are using a local mobile repair guy and have been happy with the process. I will admit to getting frustrated in the beginning until I learned the "rhythm" of how the whole warranty process works. I prefer paying $85 for someone to come to me rather than load up and haul it to a service center and wait for them to get around to it. Ask around about who does quality work on a mobile basis and then call them to get a "feel" for how they run their business.

Hunter11

Steve, we are in the process of having a new Landmark built and will be making the purchase through Great Lakes RV Center in Indiana and bringing it back to the Austin, Tx. area. We will be living in ours full time and have wondered what we would do for warranty work if needed. Are you saying Heartland covered the warranty work done by a mobile tech if you paid the trip charge? I have thought if they would do this if we needed warranty work I would have no problem paying a tech to come to us if they will pay for the labor and parts for the repair. I am just trying to figure out how warranty work will be handled if and when we need it and also living in it full time. Thanks

danemayer

Steve, we are in the process of having a new Landmark built and will be making the purchase through Great Lakes RV Center in Indiana and bringing it back to the Austin, Tx. area. We will be living in ours full time and have wondered what we would do for warranty work if needed. Are you saying Heartland covered the warranty work done by a mobile tech if you paid the trip charge? I have thought if they would do this if we needed warranty work I would have no problem paying a tech to come to us if they will pay for the labor and parts for the repair. I am just trying to figure out how warranty work will be handled if and when we need it and also living in it full time. Thanks

Hi Hunter11,

We're in Austin and had all the warranty work on our Landmark done at Camper Clinic II in Buda, just a bit south of Austin right off I35. They're not currently selling Heartland products, but are authorized for warranty work.

Hunter11

Dan, we are actually in Dripping Springs but still work in Austin (although not much longer). I had some warranty work done by CC II on our current unit but that was a few years back. They did do a good job. I really hope we don't need any warranty work done since we will be living in the Landmark but just in case I will keep them in mind.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

I believe you have to call Heartland and have them authorize the work of a mobile tech beforehand, but they will not pay the trip charge.

Heartland can also recommend a repair facility near you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is exactly the way we've found it to work for us. In a couple of cases, the tech went to the local distributor for a replacement of a defective part and was able to handle the warranty through the distributor.

Erika is entirely correct that the proper protocol is to call Heartland's customer service center, explain what needs to be done and then they will authorize the mobile tech to come out and prepare a quote for the work to be done. Our guy has found it expedient to use the local parts distributor when he can since they file the warranty claim and he gets reimbursed more quickly. My guess is that you won't have as many issues with your Landmark, but it does seem inevitable that something will malfunction or rattle loose during transport. As I said in my earlier post, the secret is to figure out the rhythm of the process and then let the folks do their work whether it be the tech or Heartland.

Congratulations on your new purchase. I hope you love the new lifestyle as much as we are!