Washer drip pan

busted2341

Any handy guys out there that can explain a simple problem to me? I have a questions for when we pick up our Ashland Friday. I have seen pics of a drain pan under the washer. We are installing a combo. I am putting a drain pan but where do you run the drain to? I have never used a drain pan so just a little confused on where the water might drain from that pan without having to drill a drain hole through the floor or somehow get the drain to to the tank or something? Stupid question I know but just a bit confused! Thanx Frank

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I am in the process of installing a stacked washer and dryer right now.
Yesterday I ran some PEX for the drain pan.
I did have to drill a hole for the drain line but that is no big deal.
Where that hole is will depend on your floor plan.
Mine is under a dresser, your Ashland will probably go straight down through the closet floor.

Peace
Dave

lynndiwagoner

Oh boy, am I going to take it on this.......My pan is in the front closet in the BR. I got to thinking "why can't I run the pan drain tube back into the main drain for the washer." I thought it through, including the possibility of sewer gas coming back up through the main drain and appearing at the pan and decided that would not be a problem because the washer drain tank does not collect black waste and I keep it drained. So, I ran the pan drain pipe parallel with the main drain to a point before the main drain descended into the storage compartment. I used a large drill bit and drilled the main drain at angle and then I angled the drill bit almost parallel with the main drain. This left a hole that allowed me to insert the drain pan pipe into the main drain at an angle. I used an appropriate amount of silicone and gorilla tape to secure the connection. I haven't had a problem with this setup but welcome comments about why this would be inappropriate. I'm ready.....

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Since that tank sees mainly soapy water, it's not likely you'll get sewer gases generated in it. That smell comes mainly from decaying organics. When we run the washer, we open the tank drain, so it should get a decent flush from the machine.
When I installed my drain pan, I ran the line under the dresser (our floor plan allowed it) until I was over the battery compartment, then dropped down. The compartment is open at the bottom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
When I installed my drain pan, I ran the line under the dresser (our floor plan allowed it) until I was over the battery compartment, then dropped down. The compartment is open at the bottom.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's exactly the way mine is run.

Peace
Dave

brianharrison

Oh boy, am I going to take it on this.......My pan is in the front closet in the BR. I got to thinking "why can't I run the pan drain tube back into the main drain for the washer." I thought it through, including the possibility of sewer gas coming back up through the main drain and appearing at the pan and decided that would not be a problem because the washer drain tank does not collect black waste and I keep it drained. So, I ran the pan drain pipe parallel with the main drain to a point before the main drain descended into the storage compartment. I used a large drill bit and drilled the main drain at angle and then I angled the drill bit almost parallel with the main drain. This left a hole that allowed me to insert the drain pan pipe into the main drain at an angle. I used an appropriate amount of silicone and gorilla tape to secure the connection. I haven't had a problem with this setup but welcome comments about why this would be inappropriate. I'm ready.....

Each to his own, but your installation is in contravention to plumbing codes as you do not have positive isolation of sewer gases travelling back up into a living space. In lay terms - no P-trap to hold water seal.

You certainly can operate in that fashion, no one is going to come out and give you a ticket, but I would return it to code compliant before you sell the unit to another person - they may hold you accountable if there was ever an issue traced back to the improper installation? I guess you could fully disclose to the new buyer.

Personally I would be concerned about grey tank gases coming back up into the coach, even with normally fully drained tanks and "clean use". There could be that "one time" contributing to a stinky smell. As well household cleaners or RV tank additives when cleaning sinks/shower may add to gas evolution in grey tank? Some cleaners decompose into strong Chlorine/Ammonia smell?

My $0.02.
Brian

Retyred

My wash machine is in the front cap, I was able to run the drain hose under the draw cabinet and down into the propane storage area.

Martin