Washington trip

shelsay

On our way to the Washington state rally in July, we plan to travel around the western side of the Olympic Peninsula on Hwy 101. We are wondering if this is a good route for pulling a large fifth wheel. Also, does anyone have recommendations for campgrounds on this route? I have seen a couple on-line that look good (RV 101 in Forks and American Sunset at Westport.) Does anyone have experience with either of these? Thanks for any info you can provide?

Pat

B

BouseBill

The wife and I work-camped at American Sunset three summers ago, it is a very nice RV park and campground. The owners Don and Gail are very nice people who will enforce the park rules and regulations. As with any other RV park in an urban environment there is a certain amount of ne'er-do-wells in the area, don't leave anything out when you're gone. We had a problem all summer long with "those" folks sneaking in through the trees to see what they could walk away with:(
Westport is a nice fishing village, so plan on going out on one of the charters for some salmon fishing, I would recommend one of the six-pack boats if you can swing the price:)
You should have no problems at all on 101,

Bill

Crumgater

WA State parks are great, and many have spots for bigger rigs...
Lots of spots you can reserve online - where you can see pictures of the sites as well as get a feel for the environment (trees, space, etc.). https://washington.goingtocamp.com/WashingtonStateParks?Map
We've never stayed in a WA State park that we didn't love. (So far, OR State parks have been just as welcoming, too!)

We stayed at the Elwha Dam RV Park up closer to Port Angeles. It was a nice park, Good Sam, also.

It's a beautiful area - Hope you enjoy it!!