Water filter leaking

goldenbear

Had my Newport for a week now and the water filter in the basement started dripping water. It appears to be coming from the threaded portion towards the top of the filter. I turned the water off to the trailer and tried to unscrew the lower part of the filter and broke the wrench. No literature was supplied with the Newport so I have no info about he system. Anyone have a similar problem?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Quite possible that the filter housing was not fully seated, gorilla applied, or it got cross-threaded. If you broke the wrench, you might find another at Home Depot or Lowes, since most of the filter housings for 10" filters are similar. Worst case, put on a pair of leather gloves and muscle it off.

Once you get it off, check the threads for damage and the housing for any cracks. There should also be a rubber gasket where the filter housing canister seats.

All this is assuming that they install a standard 10" water filter holder in the rigs at the factory.

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
Goldenbear,
Sounds like your filter is missing the "O"ring thus causing the leak and resulting in binding and the wrench breaking. I know through past experieince, ugh. Not knowing how and where it is mounted if you could grab the bottom of the cannister with a towel maybe you can get enough torque on it to open it. Remember to first shut of water and drain off the line pressure, this will make it easier to open and less mess. If this does not help youmay have to revert to removing whole filter unit and working on a bench with another person helping hold the cannister as you try to losen. THey can be a bear if not "O" ring and not lubed with petroleum jelly prior to install.

Murry135

jbeletti

I noticed that my filter system was leaking too. I found this out when I was back there to install my own 2-stage water filtration system. I didn't know the system was leaking at first. I thought the leak was at the pump right below the filter. So I was chasing the wrong thing. In the end, I removed the Heartland supplied filter system and used a 1/2" x 1/2" plastic union to connect the in/out lines together.

Later, I noticed the connection was still dripping a bit. My guess is that either one of the connectors is defective or one of the PEX crimp rings is not crimped all the way. I plan to tear into it this coming week.

I suggest you dry the filter housing and both fitting really well, then just wait and watch to see where the water beads up at. If you can get it real dry, one aid is to use toilet paper as a marker. Wrap the fittings with toilet paper and you'll know soon, when end the leak is at. Then fix from there.

It's a long shot, but perhaps the rubber o-ring/gasket wasn't installed in the top of the filter housing and the housing was just cranked on as tight as possible. The housings (canisters) can be a real bear to crack loose, especially without a filter wrench.

goldenbear

Thanks for the replies everyone. The water is coming out of the threads at the top of the canister. Probably no O-Ring or it is pinched. Jim, during our PDI we noticed water by the water pump also. Tighten the fittings on the pump but never looked up. Going to disconnect filter and take out to see if I can unscrew the canister. Most likely needs a new O-Ring.

davebennington

I have found that a little petroleum jelly around the threads of the filter will take care of the leak. We have been doing this for years at the house.

dave

goldenbear

Had my Newport for a week now and the water filter in the basement started dripping water. It appears to be coming from the threaded portion towards the top of the filter. I turned the water off to the trailer and tried to unscrew the lower part of the filter and broke the wrench. No literature was supplied with the Newport so I have no info about he system. Anyone have a similar problem?
Update: Finally got the filter housing (canister) unscrewed from the top portion of the water filter. The first thing I noticed, no filter inside. Just a housing full of water. I poured the water out and noticed the O-ring was too large and wasn't seating inside the groove properly. I purchased the proper sized O-ring and installed it in the groove. Put petroleum jelly on the O-ring and threads and installed a filter. Screwed the housing back onto the top portion, and turned the water on. Problem solved.