Water leaking from underbelly

dwpkdavis

In our new BH we have seen water leaking from the underbelly on the passenger side behind the rear wheels. We have not been able to determine the location of the leaks, so I called Heartland customer service. It was suggested to drop the underbelly. So, i did. What I found was stinky stagnant water between the underbelly and the insulation material. I could see all the water lines and tanks and no visible leaks.

Does anyone know what can be done about this? Would this be covered by warranty?

Thanks

danemayer

Hi dwpkdavis,

There should be a fresh tank vents and overflow lines. If the tank was overfilled, the water is supposed to come out a hose that terminates somewhere near the steps. If that hose is not there or is disconnected, it could be an overflow from the fresh tank and it would be corrected under warranty.

Another possibility is water from the tires getting spun up through openings in the coroplast. If you were driving through heavy rain, this might be the cause.

donr827

Should be covered by your warranty if it is a manufacturing problem. Let the dealer find the problem and fix it. Have the insulation replaced...........Don

Just got my BH out of repair shop for issue with grey water tank leaking into underbelly. It appears grey water tank for shower completely full and leaking out of packing around valve. Took them days to figure it out. It was covered under warranty.

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
I would recommend dealer involvement here to determine source but it sounds like fresh water tank over flow while traveling. Can be just a misplaced vent line. We had the same problem earlier in the year and since it was repaired by Heartland have not had a problem. Most important is to replace water damaged insulation.

JHWilson2

We just had the same thing happen last week. We normally leave our grey tanks open, but I had closed them to rinse any standing crud out. My husband suddenly mentioned that we had water running out of the underbelly. We'll get ours looked at too.

Idahopool

I have a 2011 Bighorn 3070 RL and my #1 tank has started leaking. It fills the underbelly cover and then runs out the edges. Looks like I have no alternative but to get the rank replaced. Has anyone had this same experience?

danemayer

I have a 2011 Bighorn 3070 RL and my #1 tank has started leaking. It fills the underbelly cover and then runs out the edges. Looks like I have no alternative but to get the rank replaced. Has anyone had this same experience?
I burned a couple of holes in our gray #1 tank our first winter by running the gray tanks open with tank heaters ON. Found the leak by pressing on the tank heating pad - water squished out.

Jimnkarens

I found the the water that filled my underbelly was leaking from the small diameter water line that feeds the icemaker in the fridge. The leak was so small that it was hard to find but over the course of three months, it has filled the belly. Once I found it and repaired the line, I left the underbelly open with a fan blowing in to dry it out.

MantyGary

I drove through several hours of torrential rains in East TX yesterday. Left our last destination with all tanks empty. Arrived at our campsite in Louisiana and noticed water leaking from the underbelly which was bulging like a pregnant cow. I cut a 1" slit in two places--one near the axles and one more forward, under the basement. Water ran out steadily from the aftermost hole for several hours, then slowed to a drip. After the dripping stopped, I created a wick from an old t-shirt and pushed part of it into the slit. It continued to wick more water out the second day. Did the same to the front slit, but there appears to be less water there than the aft section.

I'm now concerned about mildew forming. Any suggestions? Dropping the membrane is not an option until we return home in about three weeks.

danemayer

I drove through several hours of torrential rains in East TX yesterday. Left our last destination with all tanks empty. Arrived at our campsite in Louisiana and noticed water leaking from the underbelly which was bulging like a pregnant cow. I cut a 1" slit in two places--one near the axles and one more forward, under the basement. Water ran out steadily from the aftermost hole for several hours, then slowed to a drip. After the dripping stopped, I created a wick from an old t-shirt and pushed part of it into the slit. It continued to wick more water out the second day. Did the same to the front slit, but there appears to be less water there than the aft section.

I'm now concerned about mildew forming. Any suggestions? Dropping the membrane is not an option until we return home in about three weeks.
You can get more air in by drilling 1/4" holes. Just be careful that you don't drill through a tank or wrap the bit around a wire.

You can also remove mounting screws on one side to reach in and remove wet insulation. Goes much faster with an impact wrench and you'll be less likely to wrench the head off of the screws.

If you'll be in one location for more than a day, you could drop the corner of the front section and get a fan to blow air through.

MantyGary

Thanks Dane. I'm reluctant to pull insulation at this point--maybe when I get home. I like your suggestion of opening up one end a blowing air through. I'll give that a try tomorrow.

Thanks again!

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired

Where are you currently staying at in Louisiana

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk