Water Problem for first time 5th wheel owner

My daughter and son-in-law are up in Cape Vincent, NY where my 2007 Big Horn is; a plumber hooked up the water on Thursday; my kids went tonight to turn on the water and water just poured out of the Fresh Water slot; any suggestion as to why this happened? Plumber unavailable. Any help appreciated.

jimtoo

Hi christie1953,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I don't know what you mean when you say "Fresh water slot". If you could give us a better idea as to where the water is coming from it would help.

I'm sure someone will be able to help you.

Jim M

jbeletti

Hi Christie,

If by slot, you mean the fresh water tank fill port, I am wondering where the water hose from the campground is actually connected to on the RV. If it's connected to the City water connector in the UDC and water is coming out of the fresh water tank fill port, then I think there may be an issue at the water pump where pressurized city/CG water is pushing through the pump and filling up the fresh water tank. Just a guess.

Please tell us more about your connections and what this slot really is.

Thanks,

Jim

Thanks guys; from what my daughter is telling me, yes, the water is coming from the fresh water port that is marked fresh water right next to the city water port. I will be up there this evening. Like I said the plumber hooked me up to the park sewer system and connected the water to the park water.

slaytop

I'm not sure if you have valves to set when you hook to city water vs tank water. Make sure the valves in the storage area are set properly for using the external water source.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Even if the valves were set to winterize mode, there should not be a direct connection between the city water inlet and the gravity fill port. Unless somehow there is a connection to the water tank from the city water inlet and the tank is actually being backfed and overflowing. Unless there's some strange plumbing down there, the only way in or out of the tank is via the gravity fill port or the water pump. Now, if the water pump is on and the hose is NOT connected to the city water port and the check valve is kaput, then we've seen that problem before.

branson4020

Icantre Member
Bad check valve in the pump will allow water to flow back through the pump into the fresh water tank, eventually overflowing out the fill port. And I too, would like to know why a plumber is needed to screw a hose onto a faucet?