We are looking at the Landmark Newport as our retirement rig but worried about bad reviews on Heartland!

Birchwood

We have been living fulltime in our Landmark for 6 years and have only had normal problems.I have never fulltimed in any other rig but for the low purchase price it was great deal for us.Another plus I see with the Landmark is the low GVWR that keeps the buyer into a 1 ton hauler whereas with a DRV or New Horizon etc a larger truck will be required.

bob34787

would buy a new landmark over most brands at this point in time, not so much for quality but price, locally in the central florida area Landmarks with lists in the 120,000 range are going for mid 70's, beats buying Forest River products at this price.

explorer2316

Explorer2316
My son has a 2005 Big Horn and had a lot of problems; bad axles, bad frame welds, tires etc. Heartland factory responded exceptionally well with every issue. Because of how well they treated my son is the reason I did not even look at another manufacture. I have a Landmark 365 Newport on order now. Should get it on 6/15 or so.

SeattleLion

We have a year old Bighorn. It's made in the same facility as the Landmark. I am NOT a disgruntled owner. Let me say a couple of things: First, Heartland's build quality, in my opinion, is really poor. We had a long list of issues that got cleared up last fall after we finished our season. I know that all brands have trouble, but Heartland is not a leader in delivered quality. You can research and find out who is if you care.

What I can say is that the design of our camper is first rate. Things are where they should be. The quality of materials that Heartland uses are absolutely the best. For example, even though the hinges on our cabinets tend to fail (happens a lot to Bighorns and Landmarks), the actual cabinetry is first rate hardwood. Over the long haul, I have to say that dealing with a new Bighorn was a royal pain. We counted over 30 problems. Some were not Heartland's fault, but most were. However, after cleaning up the mess that bad assembly created, we now have an amazing camper. We absolutely love it.

It all comes down to buying with your eyes open. It is very unlikely that any manufacturer owned by Thor Industries (like Heartland) is going to offer excellent workmanship in assembly. Some other companies have a much better quality track record. The thing is that after all of our research, we couldn't find another trailer with such consistently high quality components. Heartland has been wonderful about warranty repairs and worked very well with our dealer's service department. It seems that once things are fixed they stay fixed. People here are so used to bad initial quality that they regularly write about it as though it is inevitable. Apparently it is with Elkhart Indiana, but one day when a better motivated workforce builds these campers, we won't need so much warranty work.

My take is that I would have been a lot happier with less warranty issues. I am very happy with how well Heartland handled those issues. They ought to be good at it. One person admitted that 100% of production has warranty work performed. However, I never had a moment's grief getting things fixed. My dealer has a great service department and we now have a near-perfect coach.

So, given that Heartland is a bit worse than most at initial quality, but light years ahead on quality components and materials, I would still buy my Bighorn. As long as you understand that your new Landmark will probably need 20-30 warranty fixes, once they are done, you will have one of the best coaches in the world.

Mrsfish

And not to belittle SeattleLion's issues, our bighorn is 2 years old and we have had only 3 warranty items. Luck of the draw I suppose, but we also are very happy with fit and finish. Just giving you a different view.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
And not to belittle SeattleLion's issues, our bighorn is 2 years old and we have had only 3 warranty items. Luck of the draw I suppose, but we also are very happy with fit and finish. Just giving you a different view.

Same here. Three very minor warranty issues that to some could even have been overlooked. Our BH is just coming up on 2 yrs on the road and on its third long road trip without issue.
That's not to say some parts have not jiggled loose and needed tightened or repaired. You have to expect that. Our rig has 20,000 miles under it so far and we are very pleased. Actually thinking of getting another slightly larger model in the near future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Just to put in my 2 cents worth. Heartland is no worst or better than many brands IMHO. What sets them apart is the customer service after the sale. Many of the components such as air conditioners, converters, refrigerators, water heaters, water pumps are the same brands as are in other brands of 5th wheels, travel trailers, and motor homes. So when there are complaints of component failure the customer service is what counts. Heartland is far and away the best for the money.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
One thing I'll mention, is the strong family vibe in the Heartland Owners community. This forum is an amazing resource, I don't know what other manufacturers support their owners with this type of organization. They supply the "behind the scenes" to run this forum. They encourage brand managers to respond directly to perspective customer and owner questions. They support and sponsor JimB to be the Director of Owner Interests. Jim organized and runs the Owners Club with Chapters all over North America, and hosts the epic "The North American Heartland Owners Rally", with now more than 300 rigs in attendance.

Heartland also supports owners helping owners, with owner created user-guides and troubleshooting assistance.

As mentioned, they also provide warranty work in owner-friendly ways, such as pre-approval for mobile techs and non-heartland dealers. Their parts department can often ship parts for warranty work directly to you, to complete minor repairs yourself, and avoid long delays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

randolu

Thank you everyone for taking the time to comment. We are really leaning heavy towards this rig and I am starting to get excited about placing our order. We have decided to wait until after October to order. I am hoping that Heartland will work with us on a couple small items that we would like changed in the Newport. We are going to be going with the office in place of the 1/2 bath ( I am a scrap booker/card maker and the space will be wonderful for my stuff) and I would like at least one set of full length cupboards in the room. We also would like the control panel as least covered with a door. Does anyone know if they are open to changes like that???

danemayer

Thank you everyone for taking the time to comment. We are really leaning heavy towards this rig and I am starting to get excited about placing our order. We have decided to wait until after October to order. I am hoping that Heartland will work with us on a couple small items that we would like changed in the Newport. We are going to be going with the office in place of the 1/2 bath ( I am a scrap booker/card maker and the space will be wonderful for my stuff) and I would like at least one set of full length cupboards in the room. We also would like the control panel as least covered with a door. Does anyone know if they are open to changes like that???

Rather than guess, I'd suggest you call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Ask for Tom Montague, the Landmark 365 General Manager.

oldfitter

We love our 2015 Landmark Newport. We Love the two bathrooms, with one being on the living, dining level. We took delivery in May and just finally went on our first trip with it to a rally in Two Harbors MN. I agree that any mass produced anything can have some problems and our trailer was no exception. We have our list for the dealer and going to haul it in to be fixed. Dining room light crashed down on table and shattered plus scratched table all up. plus a few other things. I will tell all after we go to dealer to get these things fixed.

meagle

I am having many issues with my Landmark Grand Canyon from water lines leaking. I had to have my entire slide floor replaced, cabinet support structure, and carpet replaced due to a leaking ice maker line. It was installed incorrectly at the factory. Now I am dealing with gallons of water leaking in the underbelly every time I drive in the rain. Heartland has not been good to deal with the underbelly problem. In fact, one of their supposed mangers, Scott, was rude to the service techs where I am getting the repairs and told them that the owner would have to deal with the underbelly problem even though the coach is still under warranty.

danemayer

I am having many issues with my Landmark Grand Canyon .... Now I am dealing with gallons of water leaking in the underbelly every time I drive in the rain. Heartland has not been good to deal with the underbelly problem. In fact, one of their supposed mangers, Scott, was rude to the service techs where I am getting the repairs and told them that the owner would have to deal with the underbelly problem even though the coach is still under warranty.

Hi meagle,

You may already have been told this, but water in the underbelly from driving in the rain probably isn't a plumbing leak. It's likely road water getting splashed from the wheels into the underbelly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

meagle

The service technicians believe that the water is coming in between the coach body and the frame. As a result I used silicone caulking and scrim tape around the enter upper frame and around the underbelly chloroplast. I will see if this works after I take our next trip in the rain. We travel in Oregon quite often so a rain test trip will happen soon. I am also contacting Andy Wesdorp the general manager for the Landmark line to discuss the problems and the response from Heartland technical support on this issue.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
You need to do as others have done. Find the low spots in the coroplast, then drill a 1/4" hole in it. Problem solved.

meagle

I have created a small water outlet in the underbelly. I also adamantly believe that this should never take place. Over the years I have had many different RV's (Road Ranger, Monaco, Cardinal and others). I have never had this problem until now. I do believe it is a design flaw. Hopefully re-sealing the unit will correct the problem. I do appreciate your feedback.