Wet floor near shower from full holding tank - why?

Pulltab

Pulltab,

I have checked the back of the water heater many times. I can access that area which is under the enterainment center in my RK unit by taking out 2 screws and a panel. The panel has not been back on in over since we started our trip. I check it almost every day. The fittings are always dry and so is the floor behind the WH.
The water must run along the floor next to the wall.

ZZ
Ok, thanks. At least now that can be eliminated. Have you removed the big panel in the basement area? If not remove it, run the shower and check to see if water is running down the wall or if it drips anywhere. Unfortunately you may have to run the water till you start to see the *censored word*pness appear.

It's possible that a connection behind the wall or on the back of the docking station is loose. If you access the back you can independently check each one of them to eliminate

tmcran

ZZ, I had very much the same as you are having on my 2998RB. The leak in the basement was due to lack of caulk around the seams in the UDC. I re-caulked them. The leak only happened when I was filling the fresh water tank with the gravity feed line. The other leak I had inside around the shower was related to very poor caulking around the shower. I didn't have time to re-caulk the surround before we left on our first trip so I velcroded a shower curtain around the surround and stopped the shower leak. I still need to completely remove the surround and re-caulk.

zztop

It is actually a 09 Sundance 2900RK. The moderator moved this discussion it to Big Horn from genral discussions.

zztop

tmcran,

I have actually seen the water leak from the seems in the docking station myself. I will be recaulking them today.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The shower stall surround problem seems to be common to all HL units. Fortunately, I learned about it on these forums and fixed mine before actually using the shower. You could actually pass a credit card under the frame next to the sink. I didn't remove the surround, but cleaned up the lousy caulk job and reapplied a good bead along the joint where the glass framing and plastic shell meet...all around the shower stall.

Pulltab

And you only get the leak during the use of the shower right? No leaks if you use the sinks in kitchen or bath? Just trying to localize the problem.

zztop

And you only get the leak during the use of the shower right? No leaks if you use the sinks in kitchen or bath? Just trying to localize the problem.

I have not had any other problems that I am aware of. Near the entertainment center is the only wet carpet I have had. The docking station box is almost completely dry. The carpet is dry even after this mornings showers. We brought a small 9 in. oscilating fan with us which we have used to help dry the carpet.

I am 95% certain that it is the docking station leak. Heartland needs to use a one piece box with drains, as there will always be random leaks in there.

ZZ

Pulltab

Well what I really was getting at was if the leak was there when using water in the other sinks. Just trying to figure if it is the shower plumbing

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
zztop, in post #12 you stated that you wrapped some plumbers tape around the male hose end and that stopped your leak. Sounds like it might be time for a new hose. Have you stopped all the leaks or was that the culprit? As far as a drain for the UDC, some people have drilled holes in the bottm and then either caulked in, a section of rubber hose or copper tubing. Be sure that the top of the tubing is flush with the floor of the UDC. That should take care of draining it.

Peace
Dave

zztop

Have you checked the fittings on the back of the hot water tank for leaks? You will have to open up the basement to see although I am assuming you have already done that right? If you haven't you need to get that done and I bet you will see where the leak is occuring.

Pulltab,

Guess what, I got the leaky hose fixed so that there was no drip and the next day the carpet was wet again even with the docking station dry. I opened the compartment to the water heater to check it even though I have done it a half a dozen times to find it dry. You're right, this time it was leaking. I drained the water heater and wrapped the threads with teflon tape, put it back together. I have not had any wet carpet since.

It is odd the it would leak off and on.

2010augusta

it took several weeks for me to locate my small leak making the basement floor wet. It turned out it was the bathroom sink cold water supply line loose at the faucet and running down the line through the cabinet, through the floor, and down across a few fitting before it would drip. It drove me nuts trying to find it everyday. I must have retape and recrimped every fitting I could reach in the basement. Glad to hear you got yours fixed.