What are you pulling your Bighorn with...

jimtoo

I'm thinking Larry did not read what he is pulling with... TXBobcat has an 06 FORD :eek: F250, Crew Cab:p, Single Rear Wheel:), Long Bed:D, 4 Wheel Drive:cool: and does not need a slider.

If he was pulling with a short bed,,, then a slider would be safer, if for no other reason than peace of mind.

"Bob & Pat Curry
06 F250 CC SRW LB 4WD
08 Bighorn 3400RE #9948"

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Hi Fred,
Allow me to explain. The pullrite 18K auto slider can move 14" forward or backward or even during turns. Someone once asked me how often I use it and I could only tell him that it works automatically thru fulcrum technology and helps ensure that you get that extra stretch when needed. I bought it since I have a short bed, and I know Heartland products don't require it but when unhitching I notice it's been utilized to make turns, U turns and backins much easier. Go on the pullrite.com website and see their video and read about the benefits. I can only say that I feel safer utilizing it. Jim is correct that if u have a long bed, it probably wouldn't be worth the extra cost. Sorry if I confused you.

creeper

2008 F350,4x4, SB, CC, Linex, B&W, 31 gallon aux tank.
3400RL

GVWR -11,400 lbs

Loaded with full fuel, camper , wife , 1/3 water, full propane, empty waste tanks, etc.. GVW as per the scale 11,200 lbs.

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
Larry:
The workings of the hitch and how it is used didn't confuse me. I have looked at the hitch before and am fully aware of how it works. The part that struck me was the part about safety and the implication that it somehow is a safer hitch. Now that you have clarified that you "feel" safer using it, then that makes sense. I thought you were implying that it was somehow safer than other hitches, which I don't believe is true. It is definitely more convenient and has a greater ease of operation, but I don't believe that it is any safer than any other hitch that a person may choose.
Thanks for clarifying.
Fred

caokgafamily

05, 250,4x4, cc ,srw, Firestone Airbags pulling a 07 3400 RL, next year I plan on buying a new TV, atleast a 1 ton drw. The truck pulls great plenty of power. I think it would be more stable with a drw truck.

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
TXBobcat, I am towing a Landmark with a 3500 Silverado Duel rear wheels. I am posting only because I think the gross weight of both the Landmark and the Bighorn have the sane gross weight of 16,000 lbs. I did have Hydraulic disk brakes added to mine and love them, I have far better brakes than with the standard electric brakes. Having said this I recently pulled it from Alabama to Elkhart Indiana to have some warranty issues taken care of and soon after leaving Alabama My trailer brakes failed. Upon checking the system I found there was no brake fluid in the reservoir,so I added fluid but still had no brakes. we were not in mountainous terrain so I continued our trip keeping plenty of stopping distance between us and other traffic. What a transmission that Allison is, if given the distance it will bring you to a near stop without the use of heavy braking. Upon arrival at Recreational Specialty they checked and found that the tire had rubbed the brake line and wore a hole in it so the unit could not build pressure. They moved the bracket holding the brake line and this should not be a problem in the future. As for the tow vehicle I love my dully even though it is large and sometimes cumbersome in parking lots that are made for smaller vehicles. You have to make the decision on the TV. Just check all the figures from the factory and if it is rated for the load you will be towing and you are comfortable with the weights and the TV then go with it.

Don

RubiconAg

08' Big Country 2950RK (14.5k); 01' Ford F-350 SRW w/7.3L, 4-1/2" exhaust - Turbo back, Exhaust brake, and a cold air intake. We pull 70% of the time above 5000' elev. in the Sierra's and just about every trip is the long downhill and hard pull back up from Sacramento to Truckee (100 miles and an elevation gain/loss of 7000'). I would not pull through the mountains with anything less. On the downhill to Sac we run the exhaust brake the entire time and very seldom do I use the pedal to slow down while maintaining 60-65 mph. On the uphill it would be nice to have a little "umphf" to engine but with the setup above, I am pushing 1200* on the EGT's and at times have to let up and go down to 3rd gear to keep from burning the turbo. We have actually looked at upgrading to a new rig but just can't justify the expense yet.

rick7t7

I pull my 09 BH 3670RL with an 06Ford F350, PSD, 4:30 rear end,and TowHual mode for the tranny. TowHaul is great and really slows the vehicle when braking. No aftermarket stuff yet, other than running AMSOIL in the engine, as I always have in my diesels. I'm going to add Air Bags to the suspension, not because I need the lift for the load-the load is no issue for this truck. The truck has a shudder in the drivetrain at certain speeds, and it appears that Air Bags can cure this by realligning the drivetrain angle. Plus others have said the bags seem to smoothe the ride.

talley

Bob, TV is 2006 Ford F250 CC SW towing 2006 Bighorn 3655 with most options. Ford is stock... only a couple of days ago installed Firestone Ride-Rite aid bags. Have not even hooked the BH up yet. First tow will be to the rally in Woodlands. In the past year have towed to Big Ben, Memphis, Branson, Florida (into the Keys), but no mountain towing yet. We are planning a trip to Washington State and Vancouver this Summer and have purchased an exhaust brake.... but not yet installed.

Fighting pin weight weight issue and probably would have been better off if had purchased a 1-ton, but as a first-timer was trying to match coach and TV from an inexperienced position. But, it will all work out. The BH has towed great on the trips we have taken, no complaints there.

Will be adding 5th wheel tailgate next week. Only other addition at this point has been a Pioneer in-dash combination navigation system/radio/DVD player. Really helps on getting there without hassle...

jjbowl

We are pulling our 08 3400RL with a 2008 F250, 2WD, CC short box, V-10 Gasser (love not paying diesel prices) 16K Husky hitch with Blue Ox Bedsaver. We have pulled from Nebraska to Vermont to Texas and back in the last year with no problems. A V-10 with a 2WD is almost impossible to find unless you special order but it pulls like a monster. Everywhere we go people want to look at our Bighorn, it is a fantastic 5'er.

Jimmyt5

Pulling my 08 BH 3055RL with a 3500 6.7 Dodge with a 6 Speed Auto (Allison knock off) Built in exhaust break and the Big Horn Edition Package, Hensley RV break control.

Jim

Attachments

• Rig (Medium).JPG
    Rig (Medium).JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 53

baddbrad

Hopefully we will be towing our new Bighorn(3400re) home this weekend. Supposed to have picked it up yesterday but we had a snow delay-Yikes!!. Will be towing this with an 2007 siverado classic 1-ton dually crewcab longbox 4x4 with the duramax/allison combo. safe travels-bb

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
That leaves some interesting possibilities...a Suburban may not be out of the realm of possibilities? What's the going rate for the towbuddy?

billd

The MSRP is $6,495, but they are closed right now. The economy has not been kind to them.

Bill

N9MB

Pull our 3600RE with the truck in my signature an all stock 2008 F350 crew cab long bed dually with the 6.4 diesel, Torqueshift transmission and 4.30 gears. The truck and trailer seem pretty well matched and the Equaflex suspension on the Bighorn complements the trucks Airsafe hitch to a tee.