What are you pulling your Bighorn with...

Phatkd

My signature block says it all I think? Haven't actually towed the rig yet,..It is still at the dealership having some extras installed.

JanAndBill

2006 F350 Lariat dually 4x4, 6.0 with EGR delete, 4" straight pipe, SCT controller. 2013 Bighorn 3260EL. Pulls great, last trip out and in had heavy wind, and solid as a rock.

I have a bh 3685 after loading the 5th wheel pulled it to the cat scales it weighed 14200 lbs. My tv is a f250 srw 2wd long bed diesel truck . I took the truck to the ford dealer they recommend a set of super springs which added 1000lbs to payload of the truck . The truck was rated at 15500 lb for 5th wheel towing .I have only towed the 5th wheel 2 times but so far the TV does a good job towing and stopping .

TedS

Used to pull with '04 Chevy 2500 Duramax 4x4 but exceeded cargo limit by 1200lbs due to hitch load. The Bighorn has a higher pin load than my previous 5er. Traded to '11 Ford F350 to get the cargo load under the truck capacity.

StevieWonder

2005 GMC 2500HD Duramax 4x4 with Firestone airbags and a Bully Dog 50HP software upgrade.

I would prefer a 1 ton dually but I have had them before and they are a PIA when it comes to finding a parking spot at the mall or the airport and forget the drive thru lines at the bank or a lot of fast food chains.

traveler44

I haven't had time to read all of the comments so I might be beating a dead horse but here goes. We tow the 09 BH 3370RL with a 2000 F350 PSD SRW. I haven't heard of anybody having a problem towing with a diesel that is running right but the weakest link on ours is the single rear wheels. If you have the SRWs you have to have tires that will handle the weight of the rear of the truck plus the pin weight of the bighorn. I would love to have more braking on the fifth wheel because I did smoke the tires pretty good on the way down here at a red light camera intersection. They are always set up with too high of a speed limit for how quick these lights change. If you don't have the wet bolts on yours you should see about getting them at Mor-Ryde. They install Timpken wheel bearings at a reasonable price too. They didn't ask me if I wanted the new bearings until we were ready to leave or I might have allotted enough time to have them too. Tom

StevieWonder

I've owned lot of coaches and lots of trailers from small to huge (see the signature picture), and I've always said it's "not the go, but the whoa" that makes these more exciting than they need to be.

Pet peeve: inconsiderate/unknowledgable car drivers that cut in ahead of you and shorten your braking zone.

StevieWonder

I would love to have more braking on the fifth wheel because I did smoke the tires pretty good on the way down here at a red light camera intersection. They are always set up with too high of a speed limit for how quick these lights change.

The big rigs I've owned (like the one pictured in my signature) had anti-lock brakes on the trailers. That is a lot more effective braking than a tire lock-up and it won't flat spot your tires. That might be a nice option for Heartland on their bigger, heavier (and more expensive) trailers. Does any other manufacturer offer that option on 5th wheels?

I'd consider taking the hit on the red-light ticket if it meant flat-spotting $1000 worth of tires. FWIW, in Texas they are civil penalties and do not count on your driving record or impact your insurance rates. Your state may vary.

sengli

2011 Chevy 3500HD DRW. duramax of course Its maybe over kill, but I dont want any issue's on the road. The exhaust braking is wonderful.

truck 011.jpg

tds3010

Hey Phatkd, we live on Vancouver Island and also have a 2013 3010RE! Pulling it with a 2009 GMC 2500 HD Duramax/Allison. Just wondering if your 3010 came with the rear hitch or did you have it installed after? Would like to add one to ours but wasn't sure how to go about it. Be great if I could just order one up and then bolt it on.

RichPal

2009 Dodge 2500 Turbo Diesel, SWB, Super Chip, Ride Rite 5000 lb air bags. Volant Air Box with ram air scoop. Pulls just fine at 12 mpg.

Phatkd

Hey Phatkd, we live on Vancouver Island and also have a 2013 3010RE! Pulling it with a 2009 GMC 2500 HD Duramax/Allison. Just wondering if your 3010 came with the rear hitch or did you have it installed after? Would like to add one to ours but wasn't sure how to go about it. Be great if I could just order one up and then bolt it on.

Tds3010,..We had to have it fabricated. I am not sure what they used to construct it,..but it looks very solid. I had originally Wanted to double tow the RZR behind the 5er, but After reading about it, I think I will just use it for a bike rack and let the wife tow the other toys with her vehicle.

ianbloom

pulling a3670 with a ford 2500 6.7 with air bags to mexico 2 times, no problem so far, watch the weight, would love a spare fuel tank,

Grampafish

Washington Chapter Leaders-Retired
As a brand new member of this forum, I appreciate all the information provided. We ordered a 3370RK the end of February and don't expect delivery until early to mid May. We will tow it with a stock F350 turbo diesel that has the integrated brake system. It has been great for our little 26 ft travel trailer but I was worried about the size and weight of the new rig. After reading posts from 4+ years ago and recent ones in this thread, I'm feeling much more comfortable. I do plan on putting in a chip set after the original warranty expires next year. I assume there other threads/forums on that subject. Looking forward to a couple of short shake-down trips before a 3,000 mile trip in June and July.

hankster

Grampafish,
It sounds like your F350 is a late model, I am pulling a BH3570 with a F350, 6,0 diesel. Tows great no problems.
I do have a 5" exhaust the rest is stock.
Enjoy the new camper !

Hankster

dewassinc

Have you had any problems with turning or parking due to the short bed? Do you have srw - any issues?

I'm considering a 2013 Ram 3500 diesel short bed with srw.

RollingStones

Big Horn 3610RE
BHWe are new only 3 trips pulling our 3610 BH. Our Dodge Ram 2500 (diesel) short bed with a Husky 26000# hitch has been problem free turning and backing.

Hey Bob. I pull my 3370RL with a Dodge 3500. Before the 3500, I had a dodge 2500 and it pulled it over the big horn mountains with no problem at all. I had a Ford V10 prior to that and it pulled it over the Oregon Blues with no problem. Your 2500 should be fine with the 3400.